Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Why do people classify other people?

Newbie eyeoffcenter may be famous one day eyeoffcenter may be famous one day eyeoffcenter's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why do people classify other people?

People classify other people to give themselves a sense of status. They think that belittling other people will make themselves better in some way... Sad, I know

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks

people classify people because it makes information about certain demographics more convenient so they can make a quicker, well-thought out and hopefully logical decision. there is nothing WRONG about classifying people. you want examples?

advertising agencies do it all the time. what kind of people would most likely buy a van? oh, parents!

auto insurance agencies do it all the time. is the kid a teenager? oh, he probably doesn't have enough experience on the road, so his risk is greater.

credit card companies do it all the time. the guy has a sub 500 credit score, he's probably a huge credit risk like these other people who've had the same score.

you guys are getting too antsy about the moral issues of classifying people and the truth is, there is no moral issue. the real problem is how you even got to your conclusion of the people you've just classified. does it make sense? are you getting enough data to come to a conclusion? are you simply biased? those are the questions you need to ask yourself.
    Last edited by maverickvns; Dec 12, 2005 at 09:25 PM.

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

That's a really easy question to answer, and I'll be happy to do it for you!

classifying people is easy! it does not require one to get to know an individual whatsoever!

In other words, it is a generalization of a group of people because they act or look a certain way!

Hey! That's almost like racial steriotypes!
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frozen_mercury
    That's a really easy question to answer, and I'll be happy to do it for you!

classifying people is easy! it does not require one to get to know an individual whatsoever!

In other words, it is a generalization of a group of people because they act or look a certain way!

Hey! That's almost like racial steriotypes!
    If this is such an easy question, why didn't you understand it. Look up there at the title. WHY do people classiy other people. You have given us your definition of classification as well as you difficulty rating and it's requirements, but no answer as to why.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh ho ho! But I did!

I said that classifying people, if I remember right, is easy! In other words, since it is easy, it requires little thought whatsoever, and thus is the easiest for other people to classify people in, whether they do it loathing that group, or saying they are in their clique!

You just have trouble reading between the lines
    Last edited by frozen_mercury; Dec 15, 2005 at 01:57 AM.

Hail Malthus!

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh ho ho! But I did!

I said that classifying people, if I remember right, is easy! In other words, since it is easy, it requires little thought whatsoever, and thus is the easiest for other people to classify people in, whether they do it loathing that group, or saying they are in their clique!

You just have trouble reading between the lines
    Ok so they do it cause it's easy? Wow, this logic rules. I watch tv cause it's easy or even better I drive my car cause it's easy. Or wait, oh this is funny, I love my wife cause.... oh wait thats not funny at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    Ok so they do it cause it's easy? Wow, this logic rules. I watch tv cause it's easy or even better I drive my car cause it's easy. Or wait, oh this is funny, I love my wife cause.... oh wait thats not funny at all.
    Actually no, that's not funny. It's outright hilarious.

Once again, it requires little though. When angry, people don't often think straight, or at all in some cases. Generalizing people is the easiest and fastest way to help satiate the anger, taking the path of least resistance (least thinking).

Also, political and business groups do it (classify people) in order to find interest groups and their size. Doing this compiles the most data about preferences with the least amount of work.

Hail Malthus!

Thanks

Actually no, that's not funny. It's outright hilarious.

Once again, it requires little though. When angry, people don't often think straight, or at all in some cases. Generalizing people is the easiest and fastest way to help satiate the anger, taking the path of least resistance (least thinking).

Also, political and business groups do it (classify people) in order to find interest groups and their size. Doing this compiles the most data about preferences with the least amount of work.
    Ok, see there is the why part. The "way to" or "in order to" shows why. Good job!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast