Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you play games?

Newbie Kowa may be famous one day Kowa may be famous one day Kowa's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do you play games?

What I would like to know is why people play games. I mean, I personally dont trully know why I play games.

.....I think it's to get away.

Newbie Melanic may be famous one day Melanic may be famous one day Melanic's Avatar
    Thanks
    To fill in the gaps of my otherwise borring life...

Really though, it's just another kind of of entertainment, if i didn't play games I would would probably stair at the tv or constantly bother my friends... it's win-win

Newbie Shien may be famous one day Shien may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanic
    To fill in the gaps of my otherwise borring life...

Really though, it's just another kind of of entertainment, if i didn't play games I would would probably stair at the tv or constantly bother my friends... it's win-win
    True.. XD I do that all the time.. I also do that to kinda forget my worries.. o.o
    My Dark Kindered Spirit Guide Me Through This Errant World..

Newbie Socks Stolen - 45 pairs

Otaku Haruka X may be famous one day Haruka X may be famous one day Haruka X's Avatar
    Thanks
    To kill boredom. No other entertainment is better than video games when you're bored.

Newbie Setsunayaki may be famous one day Setsunayaki may be famous one day
    Thanks
    My answer is a long one, and I am hoping that you do not believe of me to be delusional or insane after me posting as I am taking a chance typing this publicly.

Part of the Systeena core AI project resulted in a sabotage of the communication server that is used to communicate between departments, however during the time experiments were being conducted, many of us had started playing Unreal Engine based games and chose to code and map for the engine in our spare time.

Many of us were into first person shooters and there was Unreal tournament and Deus Ex Multiplayer which has coders I knew entering there. Coders became responsible for data fragments being added to servers, targetting specific people who knew about coding to download. Since we wanted to keep secrets and have fun, we figured this was the best way.

A data fragment is a piece of information coded into a .u file that gets added into a server. A .u file can not be read unless decompiled first. The way this works is that every unreal engine has a ini file in its system folder. The Ini file has the serverpackages and edit packages that are loaded in order. Every Unreal engine game has a copy of unreal editor.

You create a new folder and give it the name of your modification. Then open the folder and create a folder named Classes. Finally you open the classes folder and create your own text file that has a message or a piece of code or whatever you want to compile.

Finally you go into the DOS prompt and into the system folder for the game and type in UCC make and compile that folder into a .u file after entering the folder name under the INI file under "editpackages=(folder name)"

Then when you talk to another coder involved on the same project, launch a server, passworded or unpassworded give the following URL to a friend if they are out of a game

(game exe protocol)://(IP)?Password=(password)

or if in game

Open (IP)?password=(password)

They will download the .U file before entering the server. After they decompile it, they will be able to see project documents, messages, downloads, location links, etc. An error in code will cause compiling to fail.

------------------------------------------------------

I got into first person shooters because I was one of the people who went around sending datafragments and spreading them, where people download a modification that doesn't work, others that download know that its a message. I also went around receiving them. It was a more advanced way of keeping things more secure and sending more things at once and have done this for years. I had fun, did some work, mapped a bit and went back and forth with my idea. This is how I initially got used to playing first person shooters and spending a lot of time in servers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

For roleplaying games, it was natural. The very first game I ever played was on Intellivision called Swords and Serpents. I played Roleplaying games on Nintendo since the first Dragon Warrior and Dungeons and Dragons when I was in school growing up. There really was no reason for me getting into roleplaying games. They were there from the start. I had fun and it became natural for me to play these games.

Its the end of 2004 and I still play roleplaying games by the ton. So It was normal and not really a reason. I just fell into it and have been playing RPGs for 16 years.

----------------------------------------------------------

I started playing real time strategy because I got annoyed how inmany first person shooters people want to kill and not listen or are simply about glory so I wanted a strategy game since I was used to turn based strategy games like super conflict, risk and Axis and Allies.

My first RTS game was called one based on the Star Trek Series called Armada 2. It was decent, but I know there was much better out there. I found the Star wars RTS game and shook my head a bit, unless of course I was chanting "Die Rebl Scum" playing as the empire as a joke, getting into my role in the game.

Warcraft 1 amd 2 were strange and I hated warcraft 3 because I believed it was masochism to lost 30 - 40% of your resources after food passes a certain level and have the game call it low upkeep and it was too hero based.

It was the command and Conquer series, specifically, Tiberan sun, along with the FPS game Renegades and the renegades multiplayer and other C&C games like red alert and red alert 2 which really got me into the RTS genre. Homeworlds and Mission humanity were fun too

-----------------------------------------------------

As for fighting. The way I got involved in that was that a friend of mine when he got drunk would invite me to play a favorite playstation mech series called armored core. We would play and later on we would play Mortal kombat and street fighter 2. To this day I believe that Street Fighter Alpha 3 is one of the best fighter games around. The PSX emulators created netplay for that game on certain servers so now you can play those games online and always find players. Its really neat.
    -----------------------------------------------------

well I don't want to make this thing too long as I type extremely fast and forget that I can write book long posts 15 minutes. Take care and good luck.....If anyone has the heart to do it.....Someone shoot the CEO of capcom for making the megaman series of games the most rehashable series on the fsace of the planet!

Newbie Kowa may be famous one day Kowa may be famous one day Kowa's Avatar
    Thanks

ok....

Ok, I think I understand

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    I play games...Because in real life......I cant shoot people. Well..I could. But it wouldnt be as much fun. *lick*
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just like most people here I do it to do things that I couldn't or wouldn't do in real life.

But I prefer rpg's, and I play thise because when it takes place in a totally different world then in a way you do escape from this world and become part of the one in the game. Also I enjoy the adventure and romance that may be lacking from my life at the time. I enjoy games that have the main character fall in love and hook up with somebody under weird circumstances, because I've always wanted a fantsy romance like that, and obvioulsy it's quite hard to come across one in real life.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast