Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you play games?

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    cause they create another world in which to escape too... just don't bother me when im at another world or there will be drastic conseuences... the kinda of getting a book throw at you, lol.
    i realy love the story lines of all final fantasy games cause i can really escape into th deep plots
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually, I buy and play most games because of the story included within them. Such games as Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and Final Fantasy, can have some very good stories (cinematics included) with good gameplay. Some of the other games come up short and fighting and sports games are merely played for fun and competition. I tend not to play MMORPG's because they tend to take up too much time with little story and/or fun.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Thanks
    this can easily be explained: because i can.

Newbie berryhot may be famous one day berryhot may be famous one day berryhot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    I play games...Because in real life......I cant shoot people. Well..I could. But it wouldnt be as much fun. *lick*
    Right on!! I play games because they are run....but just like Kasai stated.... I can't shoot ppl in real life....or run them over lol so games also serve as a stress reliever for me

Newbie Setsunayaki may be famous one day Setsunayaki may be famous one day
    Thanks
    its funny that people come up with reasons when games have been part of life for n extremely long time.

How much you want to bet that the reason you like games simply is because you grew up with them and were exposed to them in an early age?

Curiosity gets people interested, graphics lure people in, then people play and are sucked into them.

Isn't that truly the norm?

So far every reason has been "I like this game, simply because of what you have to do in the game" is that a real reason? Im just wondering here. Not trying to trample.

How many people here admire graphics to a game. No I am not talking about graphics vs gameplay here. How many of you actually sit for half an hour in a server looking at the graphics and seeing how things are made. Actually appreciating them?

I know I do. Just curious.

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Lol. Set. I like you. You think too much. But I like you. In Prince of Persia. I loved the graphics. It was really amazing. I havent played in a very long time...but I remember how night was portrayed in the game. That was beautiful.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Truth
    I tend not to play MMORPG's because they tend to take up too much time with little story and/or fun.
    That's like saying, I tend not to like 2-door sedans because they only have 2 doors! MMORPGs don't have deep storylines because the main point in a true multiplayer environment is that you and your buddies WRITE OUT THE PLOT/STORY yourselves, via the many adventures you guys will have as a group IN the persistent world of the MMORPG. And that's where the fun is...the camaraderie. The only people who don't get much out of MMORPGs are those who usually slug it out ALONE in the game, which actually is contrary to the philosophy of this type of game. I stopped playing RO simply because my buddies (and eventually myself) got too busy with work, and yes it wasn't fun without them around because their presence was important in the gaming experience.

And ALL games take up too much time, believe me. It doesn't matter if its an offline story-rich RPG, an MMORPG or an RTS or arcade/action game--if you are enjoying it to the point that you can't seem to do anything else anymore, then it's indeed taking up too much time. Finally, I disagree with the idea that MMORPGs have "little story"...that's like saying that the Star Wars Galaxies plot is some two-bit cheesy space story that some 3rd Grader wrote, or that Everquest is nothing more than a troll and a half-naked pixie picking berries. It all depends on the guys who wrote the "universe" of the game. For instance, the Neverwinter Nights series can be considered an MMORPG simply because the NWN servers are indeed persistent worlds, and it would be dumb to consider the milieu, Forgotten Realms as having "little story"...it's a formidable environment that is deeply rooted in the earliest Dungeons & Dragons pen-and-paper editions when TSR was still a "garage" industry back in the 1970's, but now using the 3rd Edition ruleset.

You want a "game" that takes up too much time? I'm a Flight Simulation enthusiast. I have an add-on for MS Flight Simulator 2004 called GA Boeing 737-400. This add-on allows me to simulate 80% of the flight systems and avionics of a REAL Boeing 737-400 airliner. It includes a 600 page how-to manual of a REAL Boeing 737-400, a 300 page reference book, and a 60+ item before takeoff checklist, among many other checklists (post-takeoff, cruise, descent, pre-landing and landing). Took me two full weeks before I even managed to start the engines, let alone fire up the avionics and learn some B737-400-specific radio phraeseology for ATC procedures. And that is after more than 15+ years of Flight Simulator experience (I began flying sims in the computer in 1987).

Many people might wonder what fun could people like me possibly have in flying airliners. And yes, I admit it can be boring at times...but that's the point and beauty of simulation...I mean, I do get bored at times, and when that happens...well, let's put it this way, have you tried flying underneath the Eiffel Tower upside down in a Learjet? Using REAL-WORLD physics, mind you, not some arcadish movements What about combat flying, you ask? Don't get me started on talking about FALCON4+SP4 and Pacific Fighters hehehe. In relevance to the question on graphics, it's perhaps in 3D-simulations wherein one can really hear people doing the "oohs and ahhs"...I mean, people actually spend big bucks to buy cards such as the nVidia 6800 Ultra just to enjoy games and sims like Raven Shield and Colin McRae Rally 2005. I mean, you don't need a 6800 Ultra just to play something like FF9.

I guess if played games just to "pass the time", I'd reach old age without leaving my chair. In other words, I play games because it feels good to play them, and if I don't have the discipline to stop playing them (so that I could actually do something with my life), I would most probably spend my entire life playing some well-created games, and perhaps making some myself.

(BTW Been playing computer games since the Atari 2600 back in 1982, when most of you weren't even spermatozoa then ).

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    It expands my imagination.........which is heathy for ya. Just not too much of it.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast