Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like Spyware

1 7.69%
  • No, I like my combustable woodland creature

12 92.31%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why you should dump Internet Explorer

Otaku Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek may be famous one day Zdenek's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why you should dump Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer
    Blah blah blah, to a user with a lack of knowledge of Internet Security this could be an issue. The fact is firefox has its security flaws just like IE, the difference is people give a crap about hacking IE because it is Microsofts'. In a few years if firefox gains enough market share to really be noticed I guarantee you will see a lot of security flaws in it becoming much more evident. Like I said earlier this is an issue with people that have a lack of knowledge about Internet Security. Knowing how to set up (not just install) physical and/or software based Firewalls, Email Scanners, virus protection, spyware blockers heck even a proxy server if you are really paranoid and keeping your browser product up-to-date is the real means to protecting yourself from hackers. But the fact is if they are good enough and really want in, they will find a way regardless what browser or precautions you take, "The only 'safe' computer is the one that is never turned on."
    It's good now, but in a few years, it's sure to get as bad... - You cannot argument like this. We all know how leniently does Microsoft improve their products.
    But the users' gullibility is another story. Because when some luser desperately wants some non-existent crack, no protection will actually help. As you said, keep the compy shut down.
    Btw, able to be burnt = combustible, not -a-.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Correcting someone's spelling after saying "You cannot argument like this." is not an advisable practice. Be correct in grammar AND spelling before correcting others; that's the lesson here kiddies.

Just to add to the talk, generally the safer option right now is the one to go with. Saying that IE's only more exploited for the time being and FireFox WILL be vulnerable to attack in the future doesn't mean anything except that it'll be time to switch when FireFox becomes vulnerable to attacks. For now, however, FireFox is safer.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

i just downloaded firefox and have only one thing to say about it.....

wow

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble ... yawn ... Grumble Grumble

This is old news. Last spring the Gartner Security group published a security white paper urging it's clients to switch over to Mozilla Firefox...

The good thing about Firefox is that it's goaded Microsoft to respond to the very real competition that Firefox poses... IE7 will now address some of the problems on the non-standard compliance of IE6. And I've already seen white papers published saying that most of the real changes to the next generation Windows Vista concern security enhancements to their products...
    There's still the problem with IE 7 Leaving Java script disabled on default. I've used the beta for IE7, all the websites I use the most break in IE7 because it doesn't know how to handle the java scripts until I turned it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua001
    i just downloaded firefox and have only one thing to say about it.....

wow
    Yay! Another Convert

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zdenek
    It's good now, but in a few years, it's sure to get as bad... - You cannot argument like this. We all know how leniently does Microsoft improve their products.
    First I did not say that FireFox was good now but in a few years it is sure to get bad. I said that as it grows in popularity as IE did, the flaws that are in it will become more evident and I promise you that there are flaws, no program is perfect.

But the users' gullibility is another story. Because when some luser desperately wants some non-existent crack, no protection will actually help. As you said, keep the compy shut down.
    As for the fact that anyone can be hacked, yeah but as for the 'no protection will actually help' yes in the sense anything can be broken or gotten around but no in the sense of what I was trying to convey is the concept that cryptology promotes. Every encryption standard is designed with the knowledge that some day it will be broken, so then what is the reason behind designing standards if they will be broken one day? Easy decrease the probability that one can be broken and thus you create a deterrence for the user to try and break it. For example say one standard has a 1 in 100 chance of being broken no big deal right but what if you decreased the probability to 1 in 10 to the 100th? Yes you may still break it on the second try but the chances are greatly decrease so it is unlikely you will. The same concept applies when using Firewalls, Email Scanners, virus protection, spy ware blockers and even a proxy server with keeping your browser product up-to-date. These help reduce the likelihood you will be hacked thus providing a means of protection that in most cases will be all you need.

Btw, able to be burnt = combustible, not -a-.
    No idea what this is suppose to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67
    There's still the problem with IE 7 Leaving Java script disabled on default. I've used the beta for IE7, all the websites I use the most break in IE7 because it doesn't know how to handle the java scripts until I turned it back on.
    Completely true, but an informed intelligent users will go into his browser setup or any programs setup and see what is turn on and off after an install or update to ensure their not left open by default settings.

Are most users that informed to know the difference, no. Heck no, but that is a risk they take because they choose to be uninformed about how it all really works. Forgive the example but I don't go out and buy say a gun if I have no idea of how it really works. I mean anyone can load it and play with it till they either kill themselves/someone else or they figure out how it works. What should happen is they learn about them and then get/use one when they are responsible and educated. Does that mean just because they are responsible and educated accidents won't happen no, it just decreases the probability, which is about, all you can do out side of not participating. The same is true for computer usage.

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

opera is good. firefox is good. I like ie for certain reasons. Friends don't let friends use msn explorer ^_^
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm using an alternative since 2001, I downloaded my first Netscape then. I managed to get my friends to using Firefox too. Except for one - he worked for several computer companies and he's inclined towards IE. He had to produce working computers fast and not to bother with additional installations.
    I agree that Firefox is the better browser out of the two, but most companies who have Windows based machines are too heavily invested in MS software to easily convert their browser preference. The sad fact is, Microsoft doesn't play fair, and some websites still require MS Explorer to function properly, or at all. Of course there are ways around this, by why bother. Just install the "right-click to open in Explorer" extention for Firefox, and forget that MSE exists until needed.

The only downside of Firefox that I have seen is a poor Adobe PDF plug-in integration. If you have both PDF reader and Acrobat Pro, the browser can get confused as to which one should be called when clicking a PDF link (even when you specify that all online PDF's should open with the reader). This creates a memory crash, and freezes Firefox.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

-_- i have no choice in the matter....as my parents make all the decisions for my computer.....so sad...
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast