Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like Spyware

1 7.69%
  • No, I like my combustable woodland creature

12 92.31%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why you should dump Internet Explorer

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why you should dump Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer
    Completely true, but an informed intelligent users will go into his browser setup or any programs setup and see what is turn on and off after an install or update to ensure their not left open by default settings.

Are most users that informed to know the difference, no. Heck no, but that is a risk they take because they choose to be uninformed about how it all really works. Forgive the example but I don't go out and buy say a gun if I have no idea of how it really works. I mean anyone can load it and play with it till they either kill themselves/someone else or they figure out how it works. What should happen is they learn about them and then get/use one when they are responsible and educated. Does that mean just because they are responsible and educated accidents won't happen no, it just decreases the probability, which is about, all you can do out side of not participating. The same is true for computer usage.
    Actually, Microsoft is trying to kill Javascript all together, because they think that its the source of most of their problems, god forbid they realize that thats not the case. They might actually succeed, concidering how stupid the average PC user is.

Although, Javascript is going to be replaced by a new script system, can't remember the name of it at the moment, that would be something to ask my Web design Professor.

Quote Originally Posted by jaderabbit
    Friends don't let friends use msn explorer ^_^
    MSN Explorer is just Internet Explorer with a Candy coating, its nothing more then a skin.
    Last edited by aceman67; Dec 12, 2005 at 09:09 AM.

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

hmmm... Well, since I think that the internet is the means to the end, I think that either way, there are always things to prevent the badness.

My IE doesn't have activex on it. umm... theres ways of getting "around" if you really want to...so don't worry. But if you do have acitvex, maybee you should just take it out. If you don't know how....ask someone.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    hmmm... Well, since I think that the internet is the means to the end, I think that either way, there are always things to prevent the badness.

My IE doesn't have activex on it. umm... theres ways of getting "around" if you really want to...so don't worry. But if you do have acitvex, maybee you should just take it out. If you don't know how....ask someone.
    Actually, it's not possible to remove ActiveX from IE, because the ability to do so is built into Internet Explorer/Windows. (As an example Windows Update uses an ActiveX object to check for the installer version, and already installed patches..) You can remove ActiveX data objects, but there is nothing to prevent new objects from being imported and executed...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata

Actually, it's not possible to remove ActiveX from IE, because the ability to do so is built into Internet Explorer/Windows.
    About this... before I started using FF exclusively, I downloaded the SP2 of whatever is was called for IE. Then every time I opened a page that used activeX, a stupid popup bar ran across the top of the browser, and it wouldn't show the content until it navigated to the permission button. I didin't need these extra steps just to see Flash or any other crap that needs activeX control. I realize it was for security measures, but at least it should have been easy to disable. I never did find the buried option to turn that function off, as I switched exclusively to FF. This is why microsoft sucks--they want to control your computing life.

The other quam I had with SP2 was the built in firewall. No matter how many times I tried to disable it (and the little red light assuring me that it was off), it never fully shut down, and caused major conflicts with other programs and software (VPN, network, etc). At one point, I could not even configure my new Comcast connection. Windows kept on blocking a simple port scan, even though I shut the firewall down. I'd switch to Mac, but I'm not rich. I'll just wait until there is a good Mac OS hack available, so I can run OSX on my intel PC.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

The only problem with FireFox is when I go to the Microsoft home page for up dates it doesn’t work. I get the error message “Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.”

The only thing I could think is to use my IE to do this.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

FireFox is screwed up on my CPU so i use IE

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using firefox for about 2 years now. I have no problems with it. I have to use IE at work for speicific testing sites and to tell the truth, I sometimes forget that I am in IE because the interfaces are so similar.

The argument that FF will be just as broken at IE in a few years is false. Yes, FF will have more security flaws in the comming years (were already seeing that) but those flaws are and will be fixed in a timley manner. IE has several security flaws that have not been fixed for a few years now. In short, Microsoft's answer is...wait for the upgrade. We'll fix it then.

Here is how bad it is for Mac users. MS itself is telling people that they should switch to FF or Opera for Mac browsing if they want to have a good experiance. Unfortunatly, I can't find the link for that story...but it was pretty intresting.

I use FF becuase I'm tired of spyware. It's actually the whole reason I looked into linux. Even with FF, I got tired of spyware scans, virus scans, crashing programs, windows locking everythingup, etc. I just finally taught myself linux (I'm too cheap to buy a Mac ) and have had no problmes with net surfing ever since.

Seriously, get firefox and make your life easier. you won't miss anything and for those few websites that havn't relized yet that there are other browsers in the world, you an always use IE long enough to get your task done and switch back to FF.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by know1
    ... I'd switch to Mac, but I'm not rich. I'll just wait until there is a good Mac OS hack available, so I can run OSX on my intel PC.
    Why bother waiting for a Mac hack. OS X is based on the FreeBSD UNIX kernal, which is native Intel 86 code. And they don't call it FREE BSD for nothing, with all of the GNU programing tools, LINUX portability, etc... (And there is a version of FireFox that runs on FreeBSD)

http://www.freebsd.org
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast