Thread: windows Port management

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Québec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks

Question windows Port management

Just wanted to know if there is a Prgm that allow the port management of the PC.

The thing is, that I use P2P prgm and each time that I close them, My computer is vulnerable to virus or trojan/worm. If I can find a simple way to close these "open Doors" when I want, I will suffer no more from this threat & will be able to do my download/share easilly.

Does somebody have a solution for me....
    Coming soon.........

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

If your talking about TCP/IP networking ports. a 'port' is only open if there is an application that has 'opened' a network socket, and is waiting, listening for a 'connection' on the 'port'. If there is no application (or service) with the open socket, then the 'port' is closed, and any attempt to connect to it will fail.

The problem you could have is if there is a misconfigured or unpatched and vulnerable service, or an unknown application (such as a worm/trojan) with a socket connection you don't know about that could allow a back door to your system. And this is normally controled by 'Firewall' software. With Windows XP, you could use the 'built in' network firewall and add a network 'port' exception when you want to use your P2P application, and remove the exception when your through, (but this could be a real pain...) A Google search for 'Firewalls' should give you other possible solutions to your problem...

There are also Internet sites that offer services to 'probe' your system to check for the common vulnerabilities (such as the Shields UP site at http://www.grc.com)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Thanks
    OK then. but when the XP SP2 is instaled, When I start my application (Soulseek for example) The Xp firewall ask me that the port ## is trying to get a conection. The only option I have is allow or denied.

If I understand clearly what you said, then the port that I have allowed, will close when the application is closed as well.
    Coming soon.........

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble grumble grumble

Yes, that is correct. The possible exception would be if there was a underlying vulnerability in the Windows TCP/IP stack. (but this is a commen enough problem, that if it did exist, it would have been exploited and patched by now...)

Thanks
    Thanks for your help .

This topic will be no longer of use for me...

Somebody.
    Coming soon.........

Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Glad to be of service....
    Closing....