Thread: Women's Votes: Past & Present

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Women's Votes: Past & Present

I have been thinking lately about the Suffragette movement. It is not something I have ever really concerned myself with since I live in Utah.

Basically in Utah women were given the vote when it was a territory by unanamous legislation in 1869. At the time only the territory of Wyoming also had womens votes. Other states had tried but they were always overturned. In 1887 Congress removed women's votes in Utah and then in 1895 it was written into the Utah State Constitution when it was formed.
    the rights of citizens of the State of Utah to vote and hold office shall not be denied or abridged on account of sex. Both male and female citizens of this state shall enjoy equally all civil, political and religious rights and privileges.
    The only dissent on the clause was some people who feared that Congress would not approve their statehood with it. But it passed and made Utah one of 3 states the other two were Colorado and Idaho.

Point is, it's not that big of a deal here so I've never really concerned myself with it. It doesn't hurt that I come from a long line of well educated women.

I understand however that the Suffragette movement had to really fight for their votes elsewhere, especially in the UK.

It seems to me to be a very timely issue as well since Women's Votes/Rights were a major part of the new Consitiution of Afaganistan and now Iraq.

So I'm wondering two things. What is the history of the Suffragette movement where you live and what do you think of the chances of Women's Votes/Rights in the middle-east?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Dark_Soul may be famous one day Dark_Soul may be famous one day Dark_Soul's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mexico's suffragette movement started in 1923, in "San Luis Potos├*", but it was 30 years later when it was accepted, in 1953, because the congress feared an alliance with the conservative group.
    About the middle-east, I don't know wath's goin on there, so I can't say anything

Cuando oigas a un ni├▒o preguntar "┬┐Por que el sol viene y se va?"
    Dile "Porque en esta vida no hay luz sin obscuridad"

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm out in the midwest, but couldn't tell you when the ladies got voting rights. Probaly fairly quickly. As for Iraq, if they kick us out after a president's been elected or whatever, maybe they'll let the ladies do it, and maybe they won't. This is a battle they might have to settle on their own as we did. It's too early to really tell though.

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

myuh

I too am from the midwest, and I have no idea about women's suffrage here. However, on the response to the question of the Middle East, the answer is probably a yes. . .however it will take much much time in order to have women's suffrage there. There are many ultra-conservative groups in control of the region, and people fear change for that reason. As the saying goes, better to go with the wave than against it. Anyway, getting back to the point, yes, suffrage could be brought to the middle east in due time.

Sorry, but I forgot to add this in before I sent it. Another factor in women's suffrage in the middle east is location. Iran at one time had women's rights, but then ultra-conservatives took over and took them away. Location affect it in that areas farther away from the center will have more influence put on them by other countries than the very center of the region.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ok, quick quiz.

How many knew that womens rights did not exist in Japan until after WWII when Beate Sirota Gordon, the only woman on the comittee writting Japans new constitution, wrote in clauses involving discrimination, sufferage, and equal rights.
    ARTICLE 14. All of the people are equal under the law and there shall be no discrimination in political, economic or social relations because of race, creed, sex, social status or family origin. Peers and peerage shall not be recognized. No privilege shall accompany any award of honor, decoration or any distinction, nor shall any such award be valid beyond the lifetime of the individual who now holds or hereafter may receive it.

ARTICLE 15. The people have the inalienable right to choose their public officials and to dismiss them. All public are servants of the whole community and not of any group thereof. Universal adult suffrage is guaranteed with regard to the election of public officials. In all elections, secrecy of the ballot shall not be violated. A voter shall not be answerable, publicly or privately, for the choice he has made.

ARTICLE 24. Marriage shall be based only on the mutual consent of both sexes and it shall be maintained through mutual co-operation with the equal rights of husband and wife as a basis. With regard to choice of spouse, property rights, inheritance, choice of domicile, divorce and other matters pertaining to marriage and the family, laws shall be enacted from the standpoint of individual dignity and the essential equality of the sexes.
    The new Japanese constitution went into effect May 1947 after the addition of a clause that restricted the inheritance of the royal family to men. Ironic now that the only heir is a daughter.

Beate Sirota Gordon, who was only 22 at the time, is now 80 and still involved in Japan's womens movments and organizations.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Apr 12, 2005 at 08:13 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    And does anyone know when the Belgian women got their right to vote? Or the Portugese?

Of the more 'modern', 'developed' countries, Switzerland was one of the last to adopt female suffrage (1971), they had a referendum about it before but the women voted against it stating that it was not their business!