Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worlds biggest pipeline

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks

Worlds biggest pipeline

This discussion is about the 'Worlds biggest pipeline' from the Sea port of Baku, in Azerbaijan, to Ceyhan, in Turkey.

The pipeline will go through some of the worlds most conflict ridden and unstable countrys, The pipeline will be 42inch wide spanning 1,090 miles.

Two former Soviet states, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan have 3 times the oil reserves that america has. The game is to find the safest way for the oil into american fuel tanks. The pipeline is scheduled to begin in 2005.

The pipeline will produce an est 3.7million barrels a day by 2010, the project is been led by oil giant BP.

What do you think the conseqences will be from the pipeline ?

Here are some info about the pipeline...
    ...42inch wide spanning 1,090 miles and will produce 3.7million barrels of oil a day.
    Potential enviromental damage caused by Oil leaks and shipping disasters
    Farmers and fishermans livelyhoods threatened by pollution
    The project will clear two primary dense forrests and crosses the buffer zone of a national park which caould harm several endangered species.
    The project will cost 4 billion $ and 600million of taxpayers money.(so thats were our money goes!)
    Possibly terroist attacks, US retalition to these could spark a war in the middle east.
    legal agreements make BP the effective governing power over the corridor, over-riding all environmental, social, human rights or other laws for the next 40 years.

The pipeline has a huge potential for war, do we really want another Iraq war and more lives lost. ?

Reference:
    http://www.globalpolicy.org/security...3/1028axis.htm

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    At the moment, it is probably a good idea but more like a band-aid for a bigger wound, right now, the game is to find as much oil as possible before prices start rising even higher than they already are. Eventually, we will run out of oil and unless we have a new fuel source, we will be ****ed. I believe that if they can work out an agreement with the respective governments for security and such, it will be a good idea, however don't think environmentalists won't sit still will two primary forrests are bulldozed. Although honestly at this point, saving the forests is the least of my worries.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think goverments should invest more into cold fusion, unlike a nuclear reactor(fission), fusion does not produce radiation, all the biproducts are usefull and harmless.

BiProducts, Salt, Oxygen, Helium. and a lotta power.
    Cold fusion can replace powerplants using fossil fuels, but cars...? unless electric cars.

But regarding the oil, if the pipeline is attacked, america/britain in order to protect there investments, wil have to send armed forces in, this will no doubt provoke a war, lets hope it dont come to that though !
    Last edited by Kikieru; Mar 29, 2005 at 11:23 AM.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Cold fusion is a complete and total fairy tale. It will only happen in the wishful minds of science fiction authors and delusional chemists at the Univ. of Utah.

And I don't know where the heck you get salt and oxygen as a by-product of fusion (H + H -->He + energy).

EDIT:

Just took a look at the source quoted. It's mostly just another piece of anti-American garbage AND it's woefully out of date.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    I for one think its a bad idea. Distrying forest to lower gas prices. Car pooling and city transportation can solve some of this

Thanks
    Regarding ZiQuans statement, Yeah theres been alot of cirtisism regarding the fairy tale of Cold fusion, its said that chemists are using it only for the money as the governments up there funding for cold fusion, Regarding salt, oxygen, Hydrogen derived from h20, when h20 is split youve got h2 + o, theres the oxygen and the salt, dessaltation plants, instead of pumping up the demand on the water system it should be easier and more benificial to use sea water since the plants aint polluting, the reactor can be place close to the sea, in theory.

How much of the earth can be spent, limited fuels will eventually run out, a society dependant on that life style, when the life style runs out of means to sustain it, society will collapse, but regarding oil specifically, Oil is used not only for fuels but also is the main contributer to plastics, lubricants, although alternatives can be produced can they be produced sufficiently too meet demand,

The first year anno domini it was estimated the population of the human race was 150million, 200o years on its over 6 billion, in 2000 years the human population increased 40 fold, imagine in 2000 years time, 240 billion peaple living on this planet, can this be sustained.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Just took a look at the source quoted. It's mostly just another piece of anti-American garbage AND it's woefully out of date.
    Very true, i checked into it myself just now....and thats all it is.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikieru
    Regarding ZiQuans statement, Yeah theres been alot of cirtisism regarding the fairy tale of Cold fusion, its said that chemists are using it only for the money as the governments up there funding for cold fusion, Regarding salt, oxygen, Hydrogen derived from h20, when h20 is split youve got h2 + o, theres .
    There are no governments or any other organization funding "cold fusion." There are some projects out there working on "normal" fusion (simulating the conditions inside of a star), but they are years away from the point where the energy out is greater than the energy being introduced in.

Also you can't just electrolytically split water and then use the hydrogen for fusion. Only a certain isotope of hydrogen can be used called Deuterium. Basically deuterium is hydrogen with a neutron in the nucleus. Only a very small percentage of hydrogen is the deuterium isotope. There is also then the extra cost and energy to process deuterium.

Besides, the "cold fusion" reported by the scientists in Utah was a fabrication to get funding.

The future of energy is not fossil fuels, but it's definitely not fusion either.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast