Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worlds biggest pipeline

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually according to reports I've read it's being funded by the US Navy and the exact research is "Solid State (Cold) Fusion". I believe the Navy wants it for their submarines. A paper was supposedly presented on it on the 24th but I have no idea how it went. It does explain however why I've seen it in the news.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Dan
    Newbie Dan may be famous one day Dan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Da

my 2 cents on a few comments. 3 times the oil reserves that America has, is not an "amazing" thing, the US does not have a huge reserve, if it was 3x the whole middle east, well that would be impressive.

This is a very interesting read, very long and maybe a bit doomsday, but it does give alot of info, and alot of links to back it up, I don't think a whole lot of people realize whats in store for us. http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

Car pooling, saving energy won't do much, I know thats not a good way to think about it, but think where the big energy is spent, making our electricity, diesel to power the trains and big rigs that bring us our food, the fertilizer (uses oil/petroleum) the jet fuel (huge amounts used daily to get everyone where they want to go) and so on. We won't just all of a sudden run out of fuel, expect to see what we are going through now, $50+ a barrel of oil to get worse. Hybrid cars won't solve the problem, wind / hydro power won't even dent the amount of energy we need.

Anyhow where am I going with this, I say do it, suck all the black gold they can out of the ground, it will buy us time, maybe there will be a break through, in the coming years.

Dan

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    Although knowing the enevitable why do we sit by and do nothing ?, becouse someone else will provide a solution, thats a little dependant dont you think, what if they dont, im curious to know what contingencies have been formulated incase we dont find a solution.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Actually according to reports I've read it's being funded by the US Navy and the exact research is "Solid State (Cold) Fusion". I believe the Navy wants it for their submarines. A paper was supposedly presented on it on the 24th but I have no idea how it went. It does explain however why I've seen it in the news.

It would have been nice to have been at that symposium of the APS, but I'm a chemist, not a physicist. I'm curious to read the proceedings of that symposium because what everyone has been describing so far as cold fusion is electrochemistry. It's interesting that seventeen papers on the subject were presented but none (as far as I can tell) of the works have been published indicating that the majority of the peers in the physics community are skeptical.

Anyway, the immediate future isn't fusion, it's the hydrogen fuel cell. Fuel cells are a technology that currently has a more stable foundation in experimentation.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Agreed, fusion is definatly an "in the future" thing.

I'm very interested in hydrogen fuel cells and have been ever since President Bush called on car manufacturers to make hydrogen powered vehicles. I just don't hear any news on the progress, just that they're working on it.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Up until a couple months ago I was working in the fuel cell field. The main problem with hydrogen fuel cells is the storage of the hydrogen. Putting hydrogen tanks in your car is not practical so the main focus has been figuring out a way to adsorb the hydrogen onto the surface of some solid material, thus giving a source of "solid" hydrogen, which is much safer and easier to use.

The DOE has issued a standard of 6.48 weight percent of hydrogen versus adsorbant for a fuel cell to be viable. Current best materials are in the 3-5% region. Mostly these are carbon materials doped with metals. Sadly the magic 6.48% hasn't been reached so the research has kind of stagnated.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

One of the problems that people pushing 'Clean' hydrogen fuel cell technology haven't properly addressed, is where is all the cheap hydrogen is going to come from?!?!. Commercial production of hydrogen gas uses oil or natural gas as the raw material source. And current electrolysis technology has an electricity to hydrogen conversion ratio of 15% (And with the way electricity rates have been going, where will the vast quantity of 'Cheap' power come from to create the hydrogen???). There is one viable source for affordable and plentiful hydrogen gas production, but how many communities will want a pebble bed gas cooled nuclear reactor in their backyards to make this possible???
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Sadly the magic 6.48% hasn't been reached so the research has kind of stagnated.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Are they considering any other options or is "solid" hydrogen basically it?

LenMiyata, it sounds like were back to needing power to get anything done.
    I understand Jupiter has hydrogen, maybe we should just mine it from there. JK

Think they'll be able to work out the details in the next decade?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast