Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: is it worth it? (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    It's great to be anatagonizing isn't it?
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    EVA still has the well earned title as one of the most controversial anime series ever made...
    Enough said... Neon Genesis Evangelion is most definately NOT the greatest Anime every made, or the most influential anime title (I'd say Tenchi Muyo, the original harem series has many more copycat series, but EVA did influence series such as 'Dual: Parallel Troubles', 'Brain Powered', 'DevaDasy' and 'RahXephon'). And it didn't have the highest TV ratings for an anime series for the year it came out (Martian Sucessor Nadesico easily beat it) But EVA is so controversial that it's still a common thread topic to discuss the behavior of the characters, or the hidden symbolism in the series, or the events that occured durings it's development, (such as the rumors that the producer suffered a nervous breakdown during it's production, or that a major TV sponser pulled out halfway through the series, leading to the 'quality' issue of the last two episodes), or if the series is a pile of crap, vs. the greatest thing since sliced bread... But of course, all of this will go over your head unless you've tried the series...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quoting yourself.

Now THAT takes some testicular fortitude.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Evangelion is a love it or hate it affair.
    There's nothing much between. So far in this thread, we have seen both sides of this, as Zui said. ^_^

Personally I like the series.... not as much as I used to through.
    I recognise it as a landmark of sorts, in 1990's anime, whether it is a good or bad series.
    It was the first anime series I saw (I had seen a handful of anime movies before it but Eva was what really got me into anime) and I spent my first two years as an anime fan completly and utterly into this series.
    Of course, I had the luck of being able to watch this series on TV back in 1999, and so to this day, I've still never actually brought a single video or DVD. (I taped it ^^)

Going out and buying this series without seeing is risky.
    I would do what Zui sugguested, hired the first DVD to begin with.
    If you like what you see, then take the plundge and buy the series (or hire the rest), all through be warned, the series dramactically changes (ie: goes into mind screw/mega pyschological mood) half way through after episode 16.
    So if you like to be suprised, taken on an emotional rollercoaster ride and thrown off your chair and hit with it a couple of times, go for it.
    Last edited by Hikari Sakurai; Apr 07, 2005 at 10:10 PM.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku bugsbunnyx may be famous one day bugsbunnyx may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Thats a good plan and all but where i live there isnt any rentle stores that do anime, i was lucky in even finding one shop that sells the dvds, so my only option is to buy them.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks
    I own the entire series on VHS (picked it up at a convention for 60 bucks, mint condition too), and I still highly recomend it, but I do have to say that the Manga is much better then the series. Things are explained better, side stories and character histories are expanded apon (Volume 7 has Kaji's experiences just after the Second Impact). And SEELE is much more sadistic.

The story is a little bit different from the TV series, but IMO, the differences are for the better.

VIZ comics, the company that has the Licencing rights to the Manga have done a supurb job in the translation. They did commit blasphemy though by releasing their "Special Edtion" in "Americanized format" (Reading Left to Right). I buy the authentic verision (Right to Left). They have released up to Volume 9 (where Kaworu makes his debut). And the special content that they put at the end of the book is also of high quality, especially where they spend time analyzing the series' relation to the Bible.

I look forward to how the Manga ends in comparison to the Series. I strongly suggest that any EVA fan start collecting the manga.

Oh, check eBay for the series. you can get the Perfect collection (200 dollar value) for around 50-60 bucks, or even lower if you're lucky.

Newbie jimmytim may be famous one day jimmytim may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I too am a fan of eva, I have the whole series on dvd, plus original scripts of the anime.
    The end bit needs a bit of thinking to understand though...IMO anyway.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's different than other anime, its great.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast