Thread: Writing An Epic

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Writing An Epic

Well, for a little while now I've been wanting to write an epic. I'm a little bit stalled from the beginning, though, so I figure: why not take the poem from conception to completion on AO?

So, here we are at stage the first - conception. I'm not really sure what I want my epic to be about. I'm thinking right now of two possibilities, either the Norse myth of Ragnarok (also called Gotterdammerung, the Doom of the Gods), or something completely original, but I dunno what yet.

I also don't know, obviously, how long my epic should be. I'm hoping for a few hundred lines, I think, prolly nowhere near a thousand... but who knows.

Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions?

Otaku eleonne has disabled reputation eleonne's Avatar
    Thanks
    An original fantasy would be nice. A tragedy along with it would be even greater! And wait a sec, isn't there already a collection of Norse mythology in poetry i.e. the Elder Edda, so doing another poem on Norse mythology might be somewhat redundant.
    I'll take a vote on something completely original. I'm a big fan of fantasy!

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well,

I never force myself to write anything I don't feel motivated to. If it is a story I'll start with a parapgraph or two then do some research if needed or some brainstorming on characters.

As for an epic poem, well, I just let poems come when I want to write them. They don't happen otherwise.

But whatever works for you. Do some reading and think of themes and pices you like within them and work witht that.

Otaku eleonne has disabled reputation eleonne's Avatar
    Thanks
    jao's right, wherever your mind takes you. All you need is imagination, and some daydreaming, and I'm sure you'll get what you need. Best of luck!

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Okay, I've decided to do an epic about an unknown Japanese hero and the things he did in his life. Y'know, like a father telling his son about his ancestor, or something like that. I have a lot of research to do before I start writing, such as suitable names, places, customs, etc., so it's going to be a little while before I get to writing the poem itself... But I'm pretty sure it'll turn out well with the work I'm going to be putting into it!