Thread: X-Linux

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Thumbs up X-Linux

I didn't know if this should be in tech or games, so sorry if its in the wrong spot.

xbox-linux.org says you can install linux on your x-box. This is crazy. Is it true?

I think that X-Linux is very possible, and would work, but unless you installed a new hard drive, it would defeat the purpose. They also say you can do this without taking your x-box apart. Does anyone think that this is a good upgrade or a bad one?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The original intent of the X-Linux project was to 'exploit' the existence of a relatively inexpensive and affordable computer platform for use in 'Third World' countries. But let's not kid ourselves here... LINUX on the MS X-Box platform has been shown to work. In exchange, you VOID your WARRANTY, and lose compatibility with all X-Box games.

Also, the X-Box hardware, which is easily powerful enough to run LINUX, isn't as 'convenient' to use as a standard 'PC' platform, with limitations on RAM, storage, and driver support, and no options for hardware expansion cards...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    As far as installing Linux on the X-box without opening the X-box up goes, I know original X-box's had some kind of flaw in the X-box dashboard (software that controls the X-box's bootup functions) so that you could bypass the lockout and do whatever you want. I imagine newer models of the X-box have that fixed, and when you sign on X-box Live! and have your system autoupdated, it fixes the flaw, if you have an older X-box. Those who had Linux on their X-box and then signed on X-box Live! were no longer allowed to use their Linux installation.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration