Thread: xp on mac

Newbie VampireHunterD may be famous one day VampireHunterD may be famous one day VampireHunterD's Avatar
    Thanks

xp on mac

it looks like someone has been able to boot xp on one of the new macs. I've always felt one of the reasons to get a one was to run mac os. I still think its cool though.

http://desktops.engadget.com/2006/03...lution-posted/

http://desktops.engadget.com/2006/03...arf-gets-paid/
    Last edited by VampireHunterD; Mar 16, 2006 at 02:31 PM.

My Blog - It's Not Your Space - ym/aim: RaiserOfGales msn: RaiserOfGales @ hotmail.com

Otaku darkflames may be famous one day darkflames may be famous one day darkflames's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: xp on mac

Cool thanks for the sites!

Otaku paiki may be famous one day paiki may be famous one day paiki's Avatar
    Thanks

New macs are able to boot WinXP coz they are problably using a intel PC-IBM x86 archtecture (i dunno how to write it in english ;~~)

Or maybe this guy is so crazy that made something near impossible alone.... deeer, impossible ^^

And also Maybeeeeee, we have a good Image editor :P

Newbie dgs_vex may be famous one day dgs_vex may be famous one day
    Thanks

not so impressive. its been done befor on various system. even xboxes and maybe ps2s?

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice! now if I can find a way to get MAK on a PC I will be happy XD

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

This was... expected, but fast (^_^). The $13,000 bounty really got people to code, I see. Although the intel-based Mac is running on x86 (or x64) architecture, it still has a different BIOS type than 99% of other PCs. That's what made it hard, I think.

The solution was to edit the bootloader and make a specific CD out of the WinXP installation CD. Now that the architecture has been hacked, I'd say other problems with hardware compatibility etc. etc. should go away faster, or at least without bigger problems as the system is fully booting now.

@paiki: This guy did it and now the bootloader is available for download. As many more people have gotten it to work, I think I'm not hallucinating or watching edited photos :P

@dgs_vex: I don't know that much how much work went into hacking those boot routines, but I can say to you that it wasn't a small job. The Xbox was only booting Linux and Windows CE, which had *big* problems (the Xbox Linux project, on the other hand, was better - using the legal open-sourced Cromwell BIOS). PS2 - Sony delivered a Linux package pre-built for it so there was almost no hacking at all.

The Intel Mac - on the other hand has a completely different BIOS chip system and some protection against bootloading systems that "didn't belong" there, so I'd take off my hat for this project. I don't know how much will come out of this, but it's a heck of a headstart for many, many projects, methinks.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Banned Jwinner182 may be famous one day Jwinner182 may be famous one day
    Thanks

wow thats amazing that gives us a whole new possibilities. That would be sweetness

John