Thread: XP Tweaking

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks

XP Tweaking minor UPDATE read top of first post

EDIT: I'm haveing problems puting in the whole text, so I hope the mods wont mind if a double post this is it the whole guid thus far I'd like feedback so I may edit it and make it up to date I strongly recomend that you use restore points for the novices user I myself in in many atemps at manual tweaking without the use of the guid at all messed up or made a mistake that wants that big but I was to dumb to realize that and wiped my computer and lost all files.

TWEAKING -XP By dj_stickystuf1
    WindowsXP Complete Tweaking Guide for Gamers/normal users

I have tested each tweak here and recommend them all, depending on your situation of course. These tweaks will speed up your Windows XP significantly.

A lot of this guide is merely a consolidation of much more extensive guides on the subject with some of my own thoughts and suggestions thrown into the mix. Credit is located at the bottom of the page, as well as links to more extensive guides. Full credit is given to the authors of these excellent tweaks at the bottom, I claim no authorship.

What every XP user should do
    To gain full control of your machine do the following:

Add the shortcut C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpedit.msc to your administrative tools folder.
    Allows Total control over damn near everything

Add the shortcut C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig.exe to your administrative tools folder.
    Allows you to customize startup services, applications and access to all system files for customization.

Download Tweak-XP, Creative Elements for XP, and Powertoys for XP. These are a must period. You can find them anywhere, do a search.
    Above allows tweaking in most cases without the need to reg hack. Also allows some tweaking I have not mentioned, such as loading the subsystem totally into memory using Tweak-XP and Increasing Initial memory allocated to Subsystem.[LIST]
    Disabling Virtual Memory
    After extensive tests, I can reccommend Disabling virtual memory on systems with 512mb of RAM or more. It eliminates Hard drive reads en masse' and thus increases performance since RAM access is much faster than Virtual Paging.

Right Click My Computer
    Click Properties
    Select Advanced Tab
    Under Performance Select Settings
    Select Advanced Tab
    Under virtual Memory Select Change
    Select "No Paging File"
    Click Set
    Click Ok
    Restart.

XP takes 130-180mb of RAM to load depending on the services you have on. Also note that certain graphics programs, such as 3d studio max and Adobe photoshop will require Virtual paging enabled.

Speed up the Main Menu
    Open Tweak UI for WinXP and select Mouse.
    Under Menu Speed move the slider all the way over to fast.
    Reboot !.

Speed up Network Browsing

Open up regedit
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE//Software//Microsoft//Windows//Current Version//Explorer//RemoteComputer//NameSpace
    Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
    Right click on it and delete it
    Reboot !

Easily Disable Messenger

Go into C:Program FilesMessenger
    rename the Messenger folder to something like "MessengerOFF"
    This does not slow down Outlook or hinder system performance

Disable Programs at Start up to free memory

Go to start - run
    Type "msconfig" (no quotes)
    Go to the tab "Startup"
    Untick anything you dont want starting when XP boots up
    Reboot

XP memory tweaks

Below are some Windows XP memory tweaks. They are located in the windows registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM CurrentControlSetControl Session ManagerMemory Management

DisablePagingExecutive - When enabled, this setting will prevent the paging of the Win2k Executive files to the hard drive, causing the OS and most programs to be more responsive. However, it is advised that people should only perform this tweak if they have a significant amount of RAM on their system (more than 128 MB), because this setting does use a substantial portion of your system resources. By default, the value of this key is 0. To enable it, set it to 1.

LargeSystemCache - When enabled (the default on Server versions of Windows 2000), this setting tells the OS to devote all but 4 MB of system memory (which is left for disk caching) to the file system cache. The main effect of this is allowing the computer to cache the OS Kernel to memory, making the OS more responsive. The setting is dynamic and if more than 4 MB is needed from the disk cache for some reason, the space will be released to it. By default, 8MB is earmarked for this purpose. This tweak usually makes the OS more responsive. It is a dynamic setting, and the kernel will give up any space deemed necessary for another application (at a performance hit when such changes are needed). As with the previous key, set the value from 0 to 1 to enable. Note that in doing this, you are consuming more of your system RAM than normal. While LargeSystemCache will cut back usage when other apps need more RAM, this process can impede performance in certain intensive situations. According to Microsoft, the "[0] setting is recommended for servers running applications that do their own memory caching, such as Microsoft SQL Server, and for applications that perform best with ample memory, such as Internet Information Services."

IOPageLockLimit - This tweak is of questionable value to people that aren't running some kind of server off of their computer, but we will
    include it anyway. This tweak boosts the Input/Output performance of your computer when it is doing a large amount of file transfers and other similar operations. This tweak won't do much of anything for a system without a significant amount of RAM (if you don't have more than 128 MB, don't even bother), but systems with more than 128 MB of RAM will generally find a performance boost by setting this to between 8 and 16 MB. The default is 0.5 MB, or 512 KB. This setting requires a value in bytes, so multiply the desired number of megabytes * 1024 * 1024. That's X * 1048576 (where X is the number, in megabytes). Test out several settings and keep the one which seems to work best for your system

Jerky graphics

The jerking has not been due to low perfomance hardware or old drivers and I have had the problems on two seperate systems.
    If you are connected to a LAN and have similar problems, this might be the solution:

1. RightClick "My Computer"
    2. Select "Manage"
    3. Click on "Device Manager"
    4. DoubleClick on your NIC under "Network Adapters"
    5. In the new window, select the "Advanced" tab
    6. Select "Connection Type" and manually set the value of your NIC. (Not "Auto Sense" which is default.)
    7. You should reboot...
    On my systems the "jerking" in 3D games was completely gone, and so was the high idle cpu load.

This tip also applies to Win2K.

Diskcache
    Plays a very important role in WinXP. However, the default I/O pagefile setting of XP is conservative, which limits the performance. Some better values for different RAM are given below.[/b]

1. run "regedit";
    2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr
    ol\Session Manager\Memory Management\IoPageLockLimit];
    3. modify the value in Hex depending on the size of your RAM:
    RAM: modified value(Hex )
    64M: 1000;
    128M: 4000;
    256M: 10000;
    512M or more: 40000.
    4. reboot.

Prefetcher
    This is an unique technique for XP, which could improve the performance significantly by tweaking the prefetcher. Recommended hardware: PIII 800 or higher, 512M RAM or more.

1. run "regedit";
    2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr
    ol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
    3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).
    4. reboot.

It will increase the boot time but double and increase the performance of your XP. Try it!

Recommended GUI settings
    Easy enough tweak to usually find out about it on your own, but still, some of use still don't find it right away. So here it is:
    1: Start > Right Click on My Computer and select properties.
    2: Click on the "Advanced" tab
    3: See the "Perfomance" section? Click "Settings"

4: Disable the following: (my settings)

Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing
    Fade or slide menus into view
    Fade or slide ToolTips into view
    Fade out menu items after clicking
    Slide taskbar buttons
    Use a background image for each folder type
    Use common tasks in folders
    Slide Open Combo Boxes
    Slide taskbar buttons
    Use Background image for each folder type

There, now Windows will still look nice and perform faster.

Unload DLL?s from memory
    Windows Explorer caches DLLs (Dynamic-Link Libraries) in memory for a period of time after the application using them has been closed. This can be an inefficient use of memory.

1. Find the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur
    rentVersion\Explorer].
    2. Create a new DWORD sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory.
    3. Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

I tried this after running a intense program, then watched the task manager; memory recovered it self.
    Last edited by Phoenix of Love; Dec 29, 2004 at 01:59 PM.
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like the rest wasn't going to fit on the one post heres the next part

Virtual Paging File Size If you have less than 512mb of ram you do not want to disable VM, instead follow the instructions below.

For those with 512mb and above, see disabling virtual memory at top of quide.

This tweak can increase the amount of RAM significantly used on your computer. What this tweak actually does is it uses your hard-drive disk-space to emulate RAM. This is called caching, or in Microsoft terms - The Virtual Paging File Size.

1.) Go into Control Panel and into Performance and Maintenance
    2.) Get into System
    3.) Click the Advanced Tab
    4.) In the Performance Frame, click on Settings
    5.) Once in Settings click on the Advanced Tab
    6.) Now under Virutal Memory click on Change
    7.) Here you can set your RAM value. The recommended increase you should make should be achieved by multiplying your RAM by 1.5. This is already done if you have a System Managed file size. I like to increase it by 1/5 of my actual hard-drive space. This will drastically increase performance, because the system will now have a pool of cache to retrieve memory from.

Xp Professional Users can access this by right clicking my computer, then click on properties, then go to advanced, then to performance click settings-advanced, click on Virtual Memory-Change. I set my min page file to 500mb max @ 1gb, I did it on two diff drives for a total of 2gb page file... I could cache my entire OS if I wished... Now thats speed.

DMA Mode on IDE Devices

Just like Windows 2000, Windows XP still fails to set the DMA mode correctly for the IDE device designated as the slaves on the primary IDE and secondary IDE channels. Most CD-ROMS are capable of supporting DMA mode, but the default in XP is still PIO. Setting it to DMA won't make your CD-ROM faster, but it will consume less CPU cycles. Here's how:

1. Open the Device Manager. One way to do that is to right click on "My Computer", select the Hardware tab, and Select Device Manager.
    2. Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and double-click on "Primary IDE Channel"
    3. Under the "Advanced Settings" tab, check the "Device 1" setting. More than likely, your current transfer mode is set to PIO.
    4. Set it to "DMA if available".

Repeat the step for the "Secondary IDE Channel" if you have devices attached to it. Reboot.

Turn off Auto-update

Open control panel.
    Click on performance and maintenance.
    Click on System.
    Then click on the automatic updates tab and select Turn off automatic updating.
    Click Ok.

Services to Disable

Services are programs that run when the computer starts up and continue to run as they aid the operating system in functionality. There are many services that load and are not needed which take up memory space and CPU time. Disabling these services will free up system resources which will speed up your overall computer experience. I recommend that you sort through the list and read the descriptions to decide if you need that service depending on what you want to do with your computer. Remember, you can always turn the service back on if you find that you need it in the future.

Full Description of each service - Microsoft.com
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...w2kservices.asp

Below is the procedure to turn off a service.

Click the start button.
    Select run from the bottom of the right column.
    Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
    Once the services window has loaded we are ready to turn off unneeded services.
    For instructional purposes we are going to turn off the Portable Media Serial Number service.
    Find this service in the list and select it with the mouse.
    Right click and select Properties.
    Once the properties windows has loaded locate the Start up type drop down box and select disable.
    Then just click ok and the next time the computer starts the service will not be loaded.

Do this with Care !

Disable the following services and free up tons of memory.
    Either use services under administrative tools, or go to START ? RUN and type msconfig (enter) and go to the services tab.

Routing and Remote Access
    Alerter
    Application Layer Gateway Service** (only if firewall is not used)
    Application Management
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Clip Book
    COM+ System Application
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    Help and Support
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service** (only if do you not use the cd-rw xp record support)
    IPSEC Services
    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
    Net Logon
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    NT LM Security Support Provider
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Portable Media Serial Number
    QoS RSVP
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Remote Registry
    Removable Storage
    Server
    Smart Card
    Smart Card Helper
    SSDP Discovery Service
    System Restore Service
    Telnet
    Themes
    Uninterruptible Power Supply
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    Volume Shadow Copy
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    Windows Installer
    Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    WMI Performance Adapter
    Fast User Switching Compatibility ** (only if fast user switching is not used or the machine has one user only)
    Protected Storage
    Windows Time
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Task Scheduler
    Secondary Logon
    Print Spooler ** (only if the pc do not have or use a printer)
    Indexing Service
    Error Reporting Service
    Computer Browser
    Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Disk Maintainance
    Windows XP has poor disk maintenance software, I suggest you make a windows 98 boot disk with scandisk on it and use it to correct lost fragments, or Norton Utilities 2002, or Fix-it 4.0 has excellent tools.

Keep in mind that any Windows 9x/Me bootdisk will only be able to scan and repair FAT partitions.
    It will fail on NTFS partitions that do not need the maintenance FAT partitions needed (eg no scandisk needed after hard reboot).
    In most cases you should be using NTFS.
    However, FAT is a must when you plan on using a dual-boot system (eg. Windows 2k/XP combined with any Win9x/Me on the same partition.

Win9x/Me will be unable to read/write on any NTFS partitions unless you install thrid-party drivers that wil allow you to do so.

Defrag your hard drives, I say it all the time and here is a Microsoft article on the importance of Defragmentation and explanation

Questions let me know ~Phoenix Of Love
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.