Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Clans Closed Pending a Re-Organization

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Clans Closed Pending a Re-Organization

Wow, this was indeed unexpected... To think I was really becoming attached to the Anime Fanatics Clan. I'm quite sure this is for the greater good, I also want to thank the Admin. for noticing the "lack of commitment" in the clans. I strongly agree with pretty much everything Barronmore stated. There are many strong points that I hope the Admin. takes into consideration. I eagerly look forward to the return of the re-vamped clans! I do have one thing to say to the Admin/Moderators... "Take your time, regardless how many people complain. If you rush things, there could be complications which would cause other issues. I just don't want you to rush on our accord, do what's best for A.O. as a whole. No matter how much time it takes."

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Otaku Laharl ex may be famous one day Laharl ex may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Clans Closed Pending a Re-Organization

...you want the clans to be focused and active? Interesting. Since that kinda conflicts itself. Anyway, don't mind me. I'd like this forum to be less active.

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

Good comments Barronmore. I have kept this auto reply in my inbox.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Barronmore, your plan would probably work if we had more members. But for the time being, there aren't enough members here to validate a clan system and also have activity in the main sections. Which is why it works better for specific sites like the Mage Knight you mentioned, or certain videogame sites. As we can see, it doesn't really work too good in an anime forum, especially this one. Basically we're making more and more sections, but our population isn't growing, it's spreading apart, which means less activity all around.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

First, i'm not advicating this is the exact formula we follow...im just stating what has worked very well for one site in the past. Dragon Ball can take or leave any suggestion he wishes.

Now, frankly I don't understand your comment about having clans taking away from the general forums? Why would that happen? The clans are supposed to be what DRIVES general conversation and involvment in the general forums. One of the reasons MKrealms had the point system was to encourage the clans to post quality posts, to help general members out, and to create content that would improve the realms. It worked very well. We were always motivated to share our new paint jobs for figures, write fan fic, create figure reviews of entire sets, gather together strategy article posts to one place for easy reading, etc....all on the general board for the improvement of the realms. We did not have to wait for a 'clan contest' to defend the honor of the clan. It was always avalible. As such, the clans became the focus of the realms to a great degree. It benifited everyone and the 'clan contests' were always happening. There was no need of permission or cordination...you just did your thing and if a mod/admin thought it was a post that improved the quality of the realms your clan was awarded points. If you 'dishonored' your clan through your poor actions/posts, you would lose points for your clan. In all it was very "harry potter" ish.

The reason we had a 'private' forum was so we could have a retreat to talk about (spam up) what WE wanted to talk about. The private forum was just a big chat room for us to hang out in...a common room if you will. We could complain about EVERY OTHER SINGLE member in private and work out all our frustration before getting out on the main board again.

Now, another HUGE diffrence between the Realms and AO is that on the Realms you were not allowed to discuss ANYTHING that did not have to do with Mage Knight outside the "Other Realms" section. There were no political debates or religious discussion threads at all! Think of it as the ultimate version of the "Posting on subject" rule. Pretty much all we could do is discuss Mage Knight....and strangly enough we were able to get policical discussions, religious discussions, and every other type of discussion in our converstations about little plastic toys! (afterall, putting clothes on them is censorship to the artists...and makes you a bad parent if you allow your children to play with them). It was surreal in a way.

My point is, the clans should be DRIVING discussion on the general board. If it can't do this, then what good is it?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laharl ex View Post
    I'd like this forum to be less active.
    Then this forum probably isn't your cup of tea.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    (alot of stuff)
    So, to summarize?

The reason that the clans were leaching topics from the boards is because of the specialization of the clans. By spreading those skills around to all the clans and then awarding clan points for clan members who participate in board activities like posting fan fics, submissions to the SOTW, etc. and taking clan points away for clan members that receive warnings points (or are banned) it can encourage board activity rather then the other way around.

Personally I like the idea of a running total of "Clan Points" earned for everyday board activity. It would encourage clan members to be competitive by contributing to the board in general. I know if I was in a clan and noticed that another clan had more points then mine I would be more likely to participate in board activities and posting in threads.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    My point is, the clans should be DRIVING discussion on the general board. If it can't do this, then what good is it?
    It should be, but the point is, it isn't. It's doing just about the exact opposite. For example, lets say we make a videogame clan(which we had). All topics concerning videogames would go there instead of sensory pleasures, because people think both sections are meant for the same topics. Same goes with a general anime clan, which takes posts away from the anime section. And other general clubs, which involve ordinary everyday conversations can be discussed in cyber lounge or journals. I'm just saying, name one thing that was discussed in the clan section here that couldn't be discussed elsewhere in the forum. That's probably the big difference between this site and Mage Knight. This site was perfectly fine without clans before, so taking them away is a possible valid option.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast