View Poll Results: The VIP Gallery: Also open it to Community members?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, that's fine by me.

5 31.25%
  • NO. I want my work to be only seen by Elite members and above.

11 68.75%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gallery Update

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gallery Update

Well, I don't see why the gallery should be restricted to anyone but super new members or those who take from the gallery and post nothing. Although taking the privilege away would encourage those to become active and involved, so it's really fifty/fifty.

Opening the gallery to coms is most likely going to have the winning vote, but I think the gallery should be closed to them. Encouraging members to become elite by dangling shiny things before them is a win-win situation, more posts and a higher rate of activity and the access to the gallery for the coms (if you understood that).
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think posting in the forum has anything to do with contributing to the quality of the gallery... and I don't necesarily think that the same people who would find the gallery useful have the time or desire to hang around and talk about which "animes charichters they cuz be if dey wantztezt to" >_>;

If there is to be a reward sytstem... there should be a way to accumulate merit for the gallery BY PARTICIPATING IN IT.

The forum should be something folks participate in because they WANT to... not because they are bribed.

As for the "anyone can see it" issue. Right now, anyone, member or not, can browse the galleries and take the material there. If anything, we should be requiring membership to access ALL galleries, before worrying about hiding just a handful from those who haven't been here for over a year.

If one thing's for certain, it's that no-one's going to be sticking around that long if they don't have to join at all...

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

The vote will decide the outcome. There are pluses and minuses for both sides of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara
    The forum should be something folks participate in because they WANT to... not because they are bribed.
    Like Legend mentioned, if someone shows talent, then we would give them access to the VIP Gallery. So they would not need to feel they need to post 500 times to become an Elite member and upload to the VIP Gallery.

Thanks.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Ball View Post
    The vote will decide the outcome.
    I'm not arguing that it shouldn't... but since those against opening the gallery have posted comments in favor of keeping in closed, I assumed it would be reasonable to argue the opposite.

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

As much as it might seem strange to me I agree with everything tsurara has said. If you don't contribute to the gallery then you really have no right to say how gets to see other people's creations. I think it should be up to the contributors of the gallery as to who can see and download their images.

Post count usually means that person feels they need to comment on every thing they see. I'm not saying that’s a bad thing I'm just wondering why other members, who post only when they feel their post would contribute, shouldn't be counted as equal members. As for longevity, am I not an old enough member to automatically get some privileges that others do not?(Granted I consider my "friendship" with half the staff to be a privilege given to me by the length of my membership.)

When I say I agree with tsurara, I'm agreeing with what she said on gallery contribution. If you haven't uploaded anything of use to the gallery then why do you get to say who sees what others have shared? I myself have posted over 1000 times over the multiple incarnations of this community of which I have been a part of for many years, but I do not consider myself in anyway a valid vote in this decision. I simply have not uploaded more than a handful of sigs I have made over the years.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael View Post
    When I say I agree with tsurara, I'm agreeing with what she said on gallery contribution. If you haven't uploaded anything of use to the gallery then why do you get to say who sees what others have shared? I myself have posted over 1000 times over the multiple incarnations of this community of which I have been a part of for many years, but I do not consider myself in anyway a valid vote in this decision. I simply have not uploaded more than a handful of sigs I have made over the years.
    Why shouldn't you?? Regardless of whether you posted or not, you have been around long enough to see the trends. Opening to com members alone is not going to work...in the past it might be when being a com member meant something. Honestly I feel there's only two true options. One is to have a committee that review gfx artists. Another one is to totally open the flood gates and let everyone get to the goodies. Giving it access to comm member doesn't do us jack, as any new member would still have to post and way 30 days.

Lowering it right now will only give the current leeches we have here freebies. If you want to be liberal, you gotta go the extreme and open the gates wide. Otherwise if we can we should have a group that'll review requests by gfx that newly sign up. That way people that are truly artists and contributors would make the decisions.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Mattness may be famous one day Mattness may be famous one day Mattness's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to say the I have contributed to the now VIP gallery. Is it really fair to stop me from viewing something that I added to? It seems like you are trying to increase spam posting and uninspired posts because some members want the privlidge back. I also use some of the pictures for renders in sig's I make (mostly for fun), and this would, however so slightly, limit my resources for sigs that I want to be a bit more edgy/specialized than materal found in the other gallerys.

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Why shouldn't you?? Regardless of whether you posted or not, you have been around long enough to see the trends. Opening to com members alone is not going to work...in the past it might be when being a com member meant something. Honestly I feel there's only two true options. One is to have a committee that review gfx artists. Another one is to totally open the flood gates and let everyone get to the goodies. Giving it access to comm member doesn't do us jack, as any new member would still have to post and way 30 days.
    I wasn't arguing if it should be opened to other members, I'm arguing who should get to choose.
    Last edited by Ishamael; Sep 11, 2007 at 08:15 PM.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast