Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Now you can enjoy Ad Free Anime Online

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Now you can enjoy Ad Free Anime Online

The idea is really good and I like it.
    Plus it is not so much to ask one single payment of $20, and it will be for our own benefit (members). Removing the adds would be amazing... however... those "annoying" adds are what reduce the costs for DB. But yet he gives the option of removing those just for $20.

On the other hand I understand those that do not have access to money yet... (well even I do have access... I don't have much of it ^_^;; ). Believe me I do understand... and I know that DB understands that too 'cos he is adding a free removal just by sending him the links...

I think that's a fair deal. Also I think it is a way to support the site ^_^... and I re-state this... it is a benefit for us (members). It is only one payment of a minimum amount of money... and you don't have to... it is if you want to remove the adds... and yet there is a free option. ^_^
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lebasiara For This Useful Post:

Dragon Ball (Feb 12, 2008)

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Like I've said in a previous post: Pre-Paid credit cards are very easy to get a hold of. If you're under 18, you can get your parents to get one for you, and if you don't have money, there is only one solution to that and its going to be painfully obvious: Get A Job. Pure and simple.

I bought my first computer working at McDonald's. Its not that hard to make a lot of money in a short amount of time. Especially when you're young and you have no expenses like rent, car loan, groceries and bills.

God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Now you can enjoy Ad Free Anime Online

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    This site doesn't do pop ups, it means that you have spyware on your computer. Probably from visiting one too many dirty sites. The only thing this site is doing are the google banner ads. So you might want to check your computer.
    Well that was part of the problem with my computer i had it maintained and now is simply heading towards a different site when ever i try to head towards to the Forum Central to see all the threads, and now i am simply using my Control Panel to check the AO Central i know is hard to understand me but i sincerely hope to have a spam free place of my computer due to the fact that it blocks pop ups for almost an entire day depending on how much time i use the internet.
    My question is this "is it requiring for anyone to pay 20USD everytime you wish to remove ads?"

Magic intervenes when there is love in first sight.
    |アスタロス|

Newbie AngelMage is off to a good start AngelMage's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Dragon Ball View Post
    OR, let me go one better. If you can link back to AO from your site, blog, facebook profile, myspace page etc.., I will remove the ads for you for FREE! Just PM me the page where you have linked to Anime Online.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyta View Post
    Would affiliating with another forum work for this? If so, I can make it happen
    Yeah like putting it in a signature in another forum or somewhere on a myspace,if we can then I can make it happen too DragonBall.-^__^-
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Feb 12, 2008 at 06:04 PM.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dark1angel View Post
    My question is this "is it requiring for anyone to pay 20USD everytime you wish to remove ads?"
    I believe Dragon Ball stated that this would be a one-time donation, i.e. you would only have to pay $20 once and the ads would be permanently removed for you.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gren For This Useful Post:

dark1angel (Feb 14, 2008), Dragon Ball (Feb 12, 2008)

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

is there a reason the ads need to interrupt threads? I mean, other than to be obnoxious and force users to pay you $20 for a site they provide all the content for anyway? :P

It's one thing to offer an option to remove the banners and leave them where they've always been. Sticking them in a new, far more disruptive place serves no purpose but to make the site incredibly obnoxious for those of us who won't fork over the cash.

I've donated more than enough money and time to this site already... I admit, I'm a bit insulted. I think there are others here without the mod status who also have the right to feel a little betrayed.

As for the "Running cost" schpiel. This site passed through 3 other owners: none implemented thread-intrusive advertisements... and they all seemed to think the site would make them enough money to purchase it in the first place in spite of not having been long-term users or people we'd ever even heard of. People don't run sites like this out of the goodness of their own hearts. They run them to make money. I'm curious to know the ACTUAL bill involved with this site's operation and how much revenue it generates by selling advertising space/promotions/etc.

If bandwith is indeed such a problem, it would be easily throttled just by denying gallery access to non-members.

I find it hard to believe that DB is running this site out of charity... or that he doesn't intend to make a profit if he possibly can.

And while there's nothing wrong with that: if he wants members to provide the content he's going to sell -- he should find a way to sell that content without stepping on members toes (or they will stop providing it at all).

As for alternatives which have worked for other sites (and this one in the past):
    -partnerships/sponsorship with/from relevant advertisers
    -collections to pay the ACTUAL server fee (ie. users are given the option of donating money directly to the service provider)
    -auctions of donated items
    -general donations (which are rewarded with "contributor" status bars or other profile bling)
    Last edited by tsurara; Feb 14, 2008 at 01:10 AM.

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

If the ads don't interrupt the threads, then what's the point of having ads? To hide in the corner and make no impact?

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara
    Sticking them in a new, far more disruptive place serves no purpose but to make the site incredibly obnoxious for those of us who won't fork over the cash.
    If you wont fork over the $20, then you can always get a back link into AO and the ads will be removed. I do offer a non-monetary means of removing the ads. It's simple give and take, rather than take take take. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara
    I've donated more than enough money and time to this site already... I admit, I'm a bit insulted.
    Thank you for your time and money. It is appreciated. You shouldn't be seeing the ads anyhow as you're a mod. Mods do not see the ads.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Ball
    Thank you for your time and money. It is appreciated. You shouldn't be seeing the ads anyhow as you're a mod. Mods do not see the ads.
    I'm seeing them now.

And reguardless of whether I see the ads or not, deceptive/intrusive advertising WILL discourage intelligent users from sticking around here.

Frankly, there are too many other places, just as good, to hang out... and they haven't got ads in the middle of every page.

This WILL backfire in terms of forum quality and morale. They did the same thing on Gamefaqs last year and reversed it in 8 hours because so many people were so unhappy.

On a site with so few users to begin with, we should be doing all we can to make membership MORE appealing; not more annoying/expensive.

As for take-take-take... I think as a free translator, scanner and owner of an ad-free website that costs over $300 a year to host: I know all about it. This site "takes" quite a lot from me too. Magazines are not free, nor is my time. That's the way fandom works now, unfortunately. But you win more flies with honey than vinegar.

I would gladly pay $20 if I thought it would be used to improve this site. But I haven't seen enough improvement here to give me that confidence.

This site WAS improving... gradually... but this is a step in the wrong direction.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast