Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Posting 101

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Posting 101

School's winding down, the newbies are flooding in and the threadsuck ratio is getting a bit high. I think a basic grammar, spelling and thread-creation tutorial is in order. Read it. Live it. Love it.

I. Before You Create a Thread

1) Choose the Most Appropriate Category

Please put your thread in the most appropriate category. New users should poke around a bit to see what categories and subcategories exist before starting threads in inappropriate areas.

If your thread gives away specific plot details, please put it in the Spoiler forums.

2) Check to See if an Active Thread Exists

Active threads are any which have recieved new posts within the last 30 days, are stickied, or exist in the "anime" section's series specific subforms.

Please check to see if any active threads exist before posting a new one. Multiple threads for the same topic will be merged or closed.

3) Is it Personal?

Personal topics which can't easily be spun into a larger thread or discussion are not allowed in the forum. Threads about your personal love life, accomplishments, or sorrows belong in your blog or profile.

A good rule of thumb is this: if more than 50% of your post consists of a personal story or personal information: you shouldn't be posting it in the forum at all.

4) Is Your Thread Against the Rules?

Advertisments of products or websites, "Rate My ________", and any information about where to aquire illegal downloads of media are forbidden.

II. Composing Your Thread

1) Creating a Title

Titles should be to-the-point and tell anyone browsing the forum, at first glance, what the topic is.

Examples of Crappy Titles:
    -"Ummm... well"
    -"Would you..."
    -"If you could"
    -"Something Interesting"
    -"A Great Anime"

These titles communicate absolutely nothing about the topic being discussed. Looking at them gives a viewer no clue what the thread inside is about.

Examples of Good Titles:
    -"An Introduction"
    -"Skydiving: Yes or No?"
    -"Three Wishes"
    -"Lolicon vs. The Law"
    -"Lucky Star Discussion"

These titles give more specific information about the topic at hand.

*Please take care not to spoil plot details, character deaths, etc. in your titles. ie. "Gintama Dies!" (he doesn't... but you get the idea)

2) Think of a Discussion Starter

Your thread must either provide a service or provoke a discussion! This means you need to include either useful information or a question.

The easiest way to do this is to start writing your thread with the question or point at hand.

If you want to start a thread about what everyone thinks about Lucky Star. Please be sure to include the question: "What do you think about Lucky Star?" Rather than writing a rant about your own stance on abortion: include the central question "What do you think about abortion?" If the point of your thread is to teach people how to use "GIMP", include the statement "This thread is going to teach you how to use GIMP."

Once your thread has a point, you can fill in other details and information.

3) Do Not Copy-Paste

Your posts should be written by you! We can all use google, we don't need you to do it for us. Using another person's words without proper quotations and credit is plagiarism and one of the most serious infractions you can get around here! Don't do it.

You can use brief quotes (properly credited) to back up your statements or enforce your points. Do not copy entire articles, quote without quotation marks, or make posts that contain absolutely none of your own writing.

If you want to include an article please LINK to the article, do not past the body into your post.

4) RE-READ Your Post Before Submitting

Can you understand yourself? If you can't, that's a pretty bad sign.

5) Spell Check

Some of us spell well enough to skip this step... but for those of you with a poorer grasp of English: you need to spell check your work. If your spelling is so poor that it prevents readers from understanding your intention: you need to find some way to improve.

Spell checking can be accomplished by previewing your posts through WORD or a similar word processing program (copy/paste). If you don't have a word processor handy, there are a number of free spell-checking programs available online.

III. Incredibly Basic Grammar

1) Complete Sentences

In the English language, a sentence requires a subject and a verb. That means someone or something (a noun) and an action word (a verb) must be included.

Any sentences missing a subject or a verb aren't sentences at all, but sentence fragments.

2) Capitalization

Use capital letters in the first word of any new sentence, people or place names, or when writing titles.

ex. The dog is fat. Mexico Hamasaki Ayumi "Prison Break"

3) Tense Mixing

There are special cases in which your tense may vary slightly within a post (in a dialogue, quote, stating a hypothetical, progressing through time, etc) but generally speaking, you should not switch tenses often within a single sentence, story or piece of writing.

ex of tense mixing. "This morning I went to the cafe. At the cafe I drink a coffee. Then I went to the movies. I see this movie about serial killers. It was good." (past, present, past, present, past)

better: "This morning I went to the cafe. At the cafe I drank a coffee. Then I went to the movies. I saw this movie about serial killers. It was good." (all past)

to be continued...
    Last edited by tsurara; Mar 19, 2008 at 03:38 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

dark1angel (Mar 22, 2008), overload (Mar 20, 2008), receiverofhell (Feb 18, 2009), seraphin (Dec 17, 2008)

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Posting 101

And of course be sure to read and experience Posting and You (Free Video - cool!)
    Just replace 'Steam' with 'AO' and you're good to go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hassun For This Useful Post:

seraphin (Dec 17, 2008)

Otaku Saionji is off to a good start
    Thanks

Some people cannot help it that they speak "Incorrect english" Because they are more than likely from another country, or just don't know english that well. No sense in being a stickler over something like english skill.
    Continuous effort-Not strength or intelligence- is the key to unlocking our potential.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saionji For This Useful Post:

seraphin (Dec 17, 2008)

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saionji View Post
    Some people cannot help it that they speak "Incorrect english" Because they are more than likely from another country, or just don't know english that well. No sense in being a stickler over something like english skill.
    Well sadly, 90 % of those non-native english speakers type way better than the average American AO user. Unlike us they arent lazy and dont use slang to post their responces...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GallComp For This Useful Post:

overload (Mar 20, 2008), receiverofhell (Feb 18, 2009)

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

I would also like to point out,

-When making a thread try making sure your thread will have any future value.

nothing more junking than a thread that goes dead after just one or two days
    Sticky??...i shall sticky until you feel otherwise. Just feel this should have its own sticky teim

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SasuraiHell For This Useful Post:

receiverofhell (Feb 18, 2009)

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Once this has run its course, It should be moved into the Introduction thread, just to make sure that it gets read.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

hummm...when is it going to run its course? because it is really needed on the introduction area.... good grief!!!!... I have never seen so much dead threads opened in one single day.....
    humm.... I mean.... the Rules/FAQthing is already highlighted.... what's worng with the ppl.... join the place and don't even bother to look up the rules?.... maybe they should be bigger.... lol.... in case the ppl don't see the already highlighted link.....
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    hummm...when is it going to run its course? because it is really needed on the introduction area.... good grief!!!!... I have never seen so much dead threads opened in one single day.....
    humm.... I mean.... the Rules/FAQthing is already highlighted.... what's worng with the ppl.... join the place and don't even bother to look up the rules?.... maybe they should be bigger.... lol.... in case the ppl don't see the already highlighted link.....
    Sorry to be blunt, but you realize that parts of your post pretty much sums up why this thread was started in the first place.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast