Thread: How easy it would be to fall through to china???

Newbie animeimmersion may be famous one day animeimmersion may be famous one day animeimmersion's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink How easy it would be to fall through to china???

A random science type question

Was thinking about this in the shower too =P...well neway, i thought of how Earth was round and stuff..and i thought, wat if there was a hole in the north pole that went straight down to the south pole? and if there was, if u dropped down into the hole in the north pole, would u keep falling until ur falling upside down? Like when u pop out of the south pole, would u be flying into the sky? This is such a confusing question...well neway, lets say that gravity played an important role, lets say u fall into a hole in the north pole, now the earths gravitational pull will make u accelerate down towards the center and by the time u reach the middle, the gravitational pull is unable to control ur movement at the current time, so u keep falling and falling but then ur actually rising and rising cuz when u get to the south part of earth, ur not falling, but rather rising, yes i think it seems pretty connfusing, though this situation is mostlikely impossible due to the inner part of the earth being super hot (but lets assume that heat doesnt play a role in this), so neway, what do u think? Would u keep falling down from the north pole until u reach the southern side of the equater and start rising? Will u fly out of the south pole like a bullet and completely stream into the sky and out of earths gravitational field and die in space? For me this is such a mind boggling question
    Well I decided to put this new thread up as I didn't actually see the correct physics based answer to Boo45's question, but since I love physics, I will put out in mathimatical terms exactly who the formula would go for figuring out how much Kenetic energy you would need to go from 1 side of the world, through to the other side. *Now this only works (like all other formula about energy conservation) if you don't calculate for friction, as that would convert your energy into mostly thermal energy, and dissipate. Also, no acceleration.*

*OK, also it doesn't matter if the world is round or square, the actually formula would be the same.*

Lets say that you start your descent, and you have 5 units of GPE (Gravitational Potential Energy) , what would happen when falling, is that energy would be converted to KE (Kenetic Energy), on a 1 - to - 1 basis... so when you have completed 50% of your journey, you would have 5 KE, which would then start to be converted back to GPE, and when you reached 100% of your journey, you would again have 5 GPE.

Simple, hunh? :^)

Otaku bloodymoonreaper may be famous one day bloodymoonreaper may be famous one day bloodymoonreaper's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How easy it would be to fall through to china???

I am not into physics. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt. What happens when we lose gravity? Do we sucked into space?
    Bloodymoonreaper

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

I just say... when you get halfway through: You're either burned by the theoretical core of the earth... or the gravity from every section of the world (since all push down on you) would keep you in the center...

Or if you end up at the bottom of a deep ocean, you'd be crushed to death. Yay!

Newbie animeimmersion may be famous one day animeimmersion may be famous one day animeimmersion's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats a good question. Do you mean what would happen if ALL gravity was removed? Because if nothing was acting upon us, nothing would happen (every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction), so we would just stay in the same spot... Now if we jumped up in the air, we would just keep going upward, until we collided with another object.