Closed Thread

Thread: Am I black enough?

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

Am I black enough?

What kind of question is that?
    Just becuase I don't live in the projects or live on well fare I'm not black?

Or is it becuase i get perms to keep my hair straight
    or that I use expensive weave to fill my micros
    is it that i prefer the french manicure over the classic ghettofied long nails.
    Or the classic french bun over some corn rows

Does it mean i am not black enough?

Is it because i rather watch hannah montana rather than 106 and park
    Becuase i listen to ashley tisdale and highschool musical
    Becuase i don't like little wayne and 50 cent
    but i am i fan of linkin park

Does that mean i am not black enough?

Is it becuase i don't use "bit*h" in every sentence
    i pronounce words spoken in the dictionary
    Is it becuase i don't know half the slang you speak unto me
    or the infamous hand shakes you do?

Is my ethnicity revoked becuase i rather read than watch television
    dance than juke
    do something in my life rather than be another black female in the system

Am i only as black as my skin color?
    Am i only as "hood" as you say?
    Am i the only black girl what doesn't act in an unruly way?

Am i considered white becuase of the way i talk?
    The way i walk?
    The way i live my life and go out for what i want rather than have it come to me?

Or is it because i rather shop in paris than on 79th street
    rather eat steak and lobster than a bucket or ribs
    or is it because i rather be made love to rather than be a quick fu*k in the sheets

Or is it because i found out my great grandmother was white and married a black man.
    Had my grandmother and she had my mom, producing me

Does THAT mean I am not black enough?

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Am I black enough?

WOWZERS!!! I like the emotion put in to this poem. I have to say that this is one of my favs by you. Soley because I used to ask the same question when I was in high school, "Am I black enough?" People used to call me all sorts of things because I wasn't "black enough": Uncle Tom, sell-out, white-boy, high-yellow, half-and-half; you name it, I was it to them.

Is it becuase i don't use "bit*h" in every sentence
    i pronounce words spoken in the dictionary
    Is it becuase i don't know half the slang you speak unto me
    or the infamous hand shakes you do?
    I find this part hilarious! I'm considered not black enough because I say months instead of monts?? I'm a white-boy because I can say the number fifteen and not fiddeen? Because I don't choose to affiliate in your silly "gang" and learn inexplicable handshakes??

Wow, you brought up so many memories! I commend you on a job well done! Good ups, I hope to read more! ^_^

Newbie Rabbits are Roadkill is off to a good start Rabbits are Roadkill's Avatar
    Thanks

These are not the things that decide your color... you have intellect which is a great thing.

I love the emotion that flooded from this poem. I'm pretty sure I'm going to save this in my "Friend's Poems" folder. Keep it up, and I hope to see more of you stuff in the future.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Princess! Woooo Hooo! I'm lovin' this one. Long time no talk chica. Anyway, this poem was very insightful. This is such a topic that I know I personally have stuggled with alot being multi-racial. Wishing my "blackness" would be accepted, even though my skin is pale. But... In time... I learned not to waste my time trying to be accepted. Because I already AM. No... I'm not black.... I am Me.... And that IS black enough. But I'm more PEACH than anything else.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks guys!

Peach- missed ya chica!

Atomik-thanks sprout. Glad you liked. I was pissed when people say that to me. It annoys me to no end

Rabbit- thanks for the comment. Glad you liked!

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

queenpearl is off to a good start
    Thanks

Smile Re: Am I black enough?

Well, it is quite unfortunate that we sometimes still subscribe to stereotypes in judging ourselves. Of course living in the projects or not living in the projects has nothing to do with being Black as is being economically disenfranchised or rich, educated or uneducated, exposed or unexposed, speaking "ghettoize" or proper English, or any of the current concepts that are consistently portrayed in the media as Black. You poem reminded me of a situation where a woman told me that I should not have mentioned that at one time I worked as a teacher or that I should not admit that I have a college education. Can you imagine?
    In considering these stereotypes, Blacks must acknowledge that it is not "We" who control the media so we cannot get mad if some of us believe the hype. I am 53 years of age and live in the USA and from I was younger, the Black press has diminished in size and in many ways content. I was quite dismayed when I taught a computer class to children in an after school program and during Black History Month, the only people they knew about were celebrities. This is shame because Blacks have contributed to world culture on a consistent basis since we have been in existence!
    I am not against perms, however I am against it being called "modern hair" as a way of denigrating hair that is natural by implying that it is outdated! I cannot imagine why Black women are not comfortable with their hair in its natural state as there are numerous ways for Black women to wear their hair in an attractive way while it is natural. However, to each his or her own. I resent the fact that once again, the way that we relate to our hair is considered controversial. This controversy comes about due to the superimposed views of the dominant culture of our hair whether we want to admit it or not.
    I personally keep my hair cut very low because I prefer the look of a Maasia queen. My hair is composed on at least 3 types of hair (nappy, curly, and straight) and I found relief from a lot of problems when I decided to cut my hair. My hair is not good for perms and it is also not good for locks, and to think that all of my life I was told that I had "good hair"! I think that it is more important to be comfortable with the hair style that you choose and aim for higher levels of character development. Although being well groomed is important, it is more important how you are!
    Last edited by queenpearl; Jan 03, 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: misspelled words, omitted words, misused words

Horror movies rule Graveyard Champion Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a neat poem. Iam black too. I don't like it when some people think we act a certain way. Some people are idiots...

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Please do not post in threads that are over a month old. Make sure to check the date of the preceding few posts to make sure the thread hasn't died already.

Closing.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Closed Thread