+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing of Styles

Newbie Immortal Warrior may be famous one day Immortal Warrior may be famous one day Immortal Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Changing of Styles

I like to consider myself a poet, and I think I've noticed something recently. On many of the forums that I go to, poetry is straying away from the rhythmic style that it used to be and is becoming more of a monologue. I'm an old fashioned person in a lot of ways, in my mannerisms, my morals and beliefs and the way I do things, and especially the way I write. I miss the smooth and steady rhyme of a poem, the way they used to be. I feel like poetry has become static and hard, a cold hard statement rather than a delicate verse. Any thoughts from other writers out there?
    Writing is life again.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Changing of Styles

Poetry varies I guess depending on the era and what society finds most interesting to dwell upon...the poetry your discussing about that you like seems to be maybe the romantic type of the 19th century maybe...though I'm not very knowledgable in poetry even if I learned about it in college in French classes.

I guess what you call static and hard, a cold hard statement, the kind of poetry that describes our era of the late 20th and early 21st century. Wars of plenty...even if there has been many all the time, people becoming more reclusive socially because of the internet, science prevailing in quite a few industrialised places, even if religion is still strong in many places, people considering time more and more a problematic factor than simply taking the time to relax. Money taking more and more room, working more and more, yet still, people worked hard so maybe we work differently. We don't always work for our family, but to realise our dreams or simply gain more of it...and still, kinda general...euh, well, if anything is changing, it's that it's changing fast, more and more.

So in short, the only thing I can really say is that the world is more and more static and well, hard is some cases to be in a level of comfort depending on what you are used to be in or what you would like to have...people want more and more since I don't know when, well, now we are getting more and more....and fast too...

I think this should go in the debate and discussions or else in the cyber lounge if not found serious enough, but not in the fanfic/poetry section as it's not a poem nore a fanfic...but I do find the subject interesting to say the least
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Elie Jelly elie26 may be famous one day elie26 may be famous one day elie26's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed, soldat
    Everything changes, for example- music...now there's rap, pop, rock....stuff like that..and the lyrics and tunes are very much diff compared to the 60's and so on. i think each person has their own way of writing and style to make it "theirs" instead the whole rhyming all the way thing. i wouldn't say that it's not good though, but in this particular era i guess that's the way ppl would write their poetry, and im not complaining either

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

agreed, people no longer use a deicate touch on poems, they are trying to get down to harsh reality, when they themselves haven't experienced them and its coming out all wrong. I myself only write baout things that i have experienced or have experiences of, you cna go back and read some of my poems, the structures are really good you may enjoy them
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Newbie friend_of_fish may be famous one day friend_of_fish may be famous one day friend_of_fish's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. Poems i used to read were all about peace and hope and other things like that and they were inspiering, they left me feeling refreshed, een the sad ones had a certain hint that made me feel calm. but most of the poems I read now are all so depressing and go along the same line. my life sucks no one understands and Im trapped in this horrid place. I wish more poems were inspiering and uplifting.
    WHATISTHATBIGLONGBUTTONONTHEBOTTOMOFTHEKEYBOREDFOR !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Newbie Immortal Warrior may be famous one day Immortal Warrior may be famous one day Immortal Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

I just feel like everything you read now in this day and age is so doom and gloom. It's all about "fate" and "corruption" and about how the world is so terrible. All this crap that nobody can REALLY relate to, nothing that really hits home. I myself write about love, because being a teenager, I've got the drama of highschool, summer love, flirting and dating and all that is included in that category. I try and stay down to my roots you know, trying to really find out who I am as a person, getting through my daily life, trying to stay in tune with what's going on around me, not all this "i'm going to write a poem about something happening thousands of miles away."It's almost as though people try to think on too large of a scale. I'm not affected by political corruption, I'm not the victim of a corporate scandal, I don't know anybody in the war. I don't know, I feel like writing has lost that intricate, almost cryptic touch that it once had.
    Writing is life again.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Almost everything I write is inspired of my experiences or of those "around" me or that touched me or got my attention, usually it's my opinion when I write something, so in what you just wrote, I ain't gloomy nor doom in everything I write, I'm quite varied and I include love at times or positive things as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Otaku RPGirl may be famous one day RPGirl may be famous one day RPGirl's Avatar
    Thanks

You do have a good point but also think about the time and age we're in, just like the sea time flows in many ways and forms to adapt to the new day and age.

+ Reply to Thread