Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 9

Thread: ~The Fable~

  1. #1
    Banned Jamie5192 is off to a good start Jamie5192's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ~The Fable~

    This is a poem that I sent to some people and I was wondering what you guys thought of it...

    A Fable


    Rejoice, Americans, rejoice!
    Praise ye the Lord with heart and voice!
    The treaty's signed with faithful France,
    And now, like Frenchmen, sing and dance!

    But when your joy gives way to reason,
    And friendly hints are not deemed treason,
    Let me, as well as I am able,
    Present your Congress with a fable.

    Tired out with happiness, the frogs
    Sedition croaked through all their bogs;
    And thus to Jove the restless race,
    Made out their melancholy case.

    "Famed, as we are, for faith and prayer,
    We merit sure peculiar care;
    But can we think great good was meant us,
    When logs for Governors were sent us?

    "Which numbers crushed they fell upon,
    And caused great fear,--till one by one,
    As courage came, we boldly faced 'em,
    Then leaped upon 'em, and disgraced 'em!

    "Great Jove," they croaked, "no longer fool us,
    None but ourselves are fit to rule us;
    We are too large, too free a nation,
    To be encumbered with taxation!

    "We pray for peace, but wish confusion,
    Then right or wrong, a--revolution!
    Our hearts can never bend to obey;
    Therefore no king--and more we'll pray."

    Jove smiled, and to their fate resigned
    The restless, thankless, rebel kind;
    Left to themselves, they went to work,
    First signed a treaty with king Stork.

    He swore that they, with his alliance,
    To all the world might bid defiance;
    Of lawful rule there was an end on't,
    And frogs were henceforth--independent.

    At which the croakers, one and all!
    Proclaimed a feast, and festival!
    But joy to-day brings grief to-morrow;
    Their feasting o'er, now enter sorrow!

    The Stork grew hungry, longed for fish;
    The monarch could not have his wish;
    In rage he to the marshes flies,
    And makes a meal of his allies.

    Then grew so fond of well-fed frogs,
    He made a larder of the bogs!
    Say, Yankees, don't you feel compunction,
    At your unnatural rash conjunction?

    Can love for you in him take root,
    Who's Catholic, and absolute?
    I'll tell these croakers how he'll treat 'em;
    Frenchmen, like storks, love frogs--to eat 'em.

  2. #2
    Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Dark Side
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    Oh this is very good Jamie, I like the flow of it.
    not to mention that it is just about the treaty signed,
    and all that.
    Again I say very good, job well done. ok

  3. #3
    Rawr~ :3 Boxteroid Champion, flyplane Champion, Home Run Champion, Bubbelfutsch Champion, Fire Fighter Champion, Brendans Soccer Champion, Movie Star Match-Up Champion, Total blackout Champion, Text Your Reflexes Champion, Scary movie Champion, Hulk Smash Up Champion, Star Wars Champion, Extreme Snowboarding Champion, Air Disc Champion, Action Fish Champion, A Game Of 3 Halves Champion, Battleball Champion, Hacky Sack Champion, FAD 2003 Champion, SQRL Golf Champion, Dr Yeckyl and Mr Ride Champion, Sky Glide Champion, Flyer Champion, Finnair Champion, Drachenjagd Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, City Surfing Champion, Action Driving Game Champion, Extreme Rowing Champion, Kardahdg Champion, Acceleracers Track Mod Champion, Final Test Champion, Du Wichtel Champion, Pedal Power Champion, Camera Killer 2 Champion, Bike Mania on ICE Champion, ATV Winter Challenge Champion, Caliber Dash Champion, Diesel and Death Champion, Snow Ride Champion, Camera Killer Champion, Pepsi Jet Ski Champion, Bumper Cars Championship Champion, Drifting Champion, Get A Grip Champion, Rooney on the Rampage Champion, Death To Ninja Champion, Kung Fu Hustle 2 Champion, Muay Thai Champion, Metal Arm FAWEGE Champion, Knife Champion, Classroom Fighter Champion, Nobuyuki Forces 3 Champion, Caddeva Champion, Sewer Dweller Champion, Angel Mart Champion, Snowy Champion, Bola Champion, Boiler Room Champion, Bobcat Champion, Amazon Quest Champion, Booty Champion, Five Errors Champion, Mind Your Marbles Champion, Angel Fruit Champion, Binggrae Champion, Candy Shoot Champion, Imperial tiles Champion, Himalayaya - Yeti Strikes Back Champion, Terrorist Attack Champion, Americas Army Champion, Special Operations Champion, Destroy the robots Champion, Cubicle Warfare Champion, Battle Field Champion, Weapons Dealer Champion, Army Copter Champion, Flat War Champion, Terrorist Alert Champion, Bully Basher Champion, Reaktor Champion, Bungee Rescue Champion, The Contraptor Champion, Boris Champion, Carling Cold Champion, Paddleball Champion RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Not somewhere I love but I am glad I have a home so far
    Posts
    3,804
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 61 Times in 56 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    Agreed with Overload there... this is my first time reading a different version of your poems... ^^ this is nicely done.. i like it..

    the longest poem of urs so far right?

    Legion Ketsueki Lives on~!!
    I'm BACK AO!
    >>>facebook<<<

  4. #4
    Banned Jamie5192 is off to a good start Jamie5192's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    Quote Originally Posted by RayMe View Post
    Agreed with Overload there... this is my first time reading a different version of your poems... ^^ this is nicely done.. i like it..

    the longest poem of urs so far right?

    I donno.. i have written longer and longer ones it seems at times..

    Thank you guys for your posts. I'm glad you like it.

  5. #5
    Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Friendly Fridley
    Posts
    1,477
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5192 View Post

    I donno.. i have written longer and longer ones it seems at times..

    Thank you guys for your posts. I'm glad you like it.
    YOU wrote this?.... WOW

    forgive me if I seem to be surprised... But this poem seems a bit different from the others. The wording of this is superior. And such an original topic!

    I was already impressed by your work... Now I am inspired and a true admirer.
    ... Not Ever Again...

  6. #6
    Dragonrider Ichigo_06 is off to a good start Ichigo_06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    I agree with everyone as well Jamie verry good job and I was amazed that you rote it too (sorry if I sound cruel) but from the other ones I read from you this one is the best. Keep it up.
    ナサン フォオツド
    Keep what you hold dear close for one day they may be gone forever!
    Make one person smile for it will continue to spread but if you make a frown that will spread as well.http://www.animeonline.net/gallery/s...0/ppuser/57173

  7. #7
    Banned Jamie5192 is off to a good start Jamie5192's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    377
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo_06 View Post
    I agree with everyone as well Jamie verry good job and I was amazed that you rote it too (sorry if I sound cruel) but from the other ones I read from you this one is the best. Keep it up.

    Wow you guys.. you really like it that much? ^-^ Thank you.

    No it doesn't sound cruel at all. ^-^ it means a lot that you would be so honest with me.

  8. #8
    Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Good question . . . where am I?
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: ~The Fable~

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5192 View Post
    This is a poem that I sent to some people and I was wondering what you guys thought of it...

    A Fable


    Rejoice, Americans, rejoice!
    Praise ye the Lord with heart and voice!
    The treaty's signed with faithful France,
    And now, like Frenchmen, sing and dance!

    But when your joy gives way to reason,
    And friendly hints are not deemed treason,
    Let me, as well as I am able,
    Present your Congress with a fable.

    Tired out with happiness, the frogs
    Sedition croaked through all their bogs;
    And thus to Jove the restless race,
    Made out their melancholy case.

    "Famed, as we are, for faith and prayer,
    We merit sure peculiar care;
    But can we think great good was meant us,
    When logs for Governors were sent us?

    "Which numbers crushed they fell upon,
    And caused great fear,--till one by one,
    As courage came, we boldly faced 'em,
    Then leaped upon 'em, and disgraced 'em!

    "Great Jove," they croaked, "no longer fool us,
    None but ourselves are fit to rule us;
    We are too large, too free a nation,
    To be encumbered with taxation!

    "We pray for peace, but wish confusion,
    Then right or wrong, a--revolution!
    Our hearts can never bend to obey;
    Therefore no king--and more we'll pray."

    Jove smiled, and to their fate resigned
    The restless, thankless, rebel kind;
    Left to themselves, they went to work,
    First signed a treaty with king Stork.

    He swore that they, with his alliance,
    To all the world might bid defiance;
    Of lawful rule there was an end on't,
    And frogs were henceforth--independent.

    At which the croakers, one and all!
    Proclaimed a feast, and festival!
    But joy to-day brings grief to-morrow;
    Their feasting o'er, now enter sorrow!

    The Stork grew hungry, longed for fish;
    The monarch could not have his wish;
    In rage he to the marshes flies,
    And makes a meal of his allies.

    Then grew so fond of well-fed frogs,
    He made a larder of the bogs!
    Say, Yankees, don't you feel compunction,
    At your unnatural rash conjunction?

    Can love for you in him take root,
    Who's Catholic, and absolute?
    I'll tell these croakers how he'll treat 'em;
    Frenchmen, like storks, love frogs--to eat 'em.

    Whoot! Let's hear it for Catholicism and mild anarchy!

    Tired out with happiness, the frogs
    Sedition croaked through all their bogs;
    <-- my favourite part

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dragon-Fable
    By Sepulchure in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 06, 2007, 10:05 AM
  2. Fable 2 trailer.
    By Exoparadapsyphobia in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 07, 2006, 04:12 AM
  3. Fable
    By Dead Reckoning in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun 03, 2006, 08:52 AM
  4. Fable Talk
    By BrightShadow_96 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
  5. Fable
    By Zimmerman in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 05, 2004, 07:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts