Well, if any of you people really knew me, you should have known this was gonna happen. Yep, it's a Nightmare before christmas fan fiction that I have mixed with the Corpse Bride.... Here is the prologue... enjoy!

The
Knight Mare
Before
Matrimony

Prologue
The Forget-Me-Not

“But why not?” Victoria worriedly asked her stubborn mother.
“You will not marry a fish merchant. Or, at least not since your father and I have been informed of the arrival of many better grooms.”
“And more importantly, much better wealth,” Her father added with a frown.
Victoria was a quiet girl who lived with a family owning a two-story house that could be easily mistaken for a mansion. Though they had previously been buried with wealth, they were now being burdened with bankruptcy. The Everglots, they were called. They were renowned in the small town that they sat in, and acted as if they were royalty. The Everglots were desperate for funds. But though her parents were very greedy, Victoria had become very polite, and somewhat timid.
Victoria’s mother was tall and skinny, always wearing a crimson red dress that dragged to the floor. Her hair was a dark gray, in a very odd shape similar to a bulb. Victoria’s father, on the other hand, was nearly the opposite in appearance. He was very short, not to mention plump, with a wide stingy face. He had black hair that laid flat on his head, and was wearing a brown shirt. The shirt was slightly concealed by a black tuxedo jacket, but, because of his round shape, it hardly covered it at all.
Victoria had light gray hair, always worn in a tight bun behind her head. She had a fairly pale face, with dull lips and eyelids. Most of the time, Victoria wore a red and white-striped dress, though the colors were so dull that it might as well have been gray too. She stood confronting her parents in the large and dark foyer. The debate was marriage.
“But Victor is the one I want to marry. Not some rich, greedy snobby-”
“We will be the ones to decide whom you marry!” Boomed her mothers voice.
Victoria’s tone sounded much more frail in the shadow of her mother’s. “Your mother is correct,” Her father agreed. “Without a willing suitor who can bring us wealth, we will be forced into the streets like rats!”
“You will be married to Lord Mare, from an extremely wealthy family,” Victoria’s mother informed her. “The rehearsal is tomorrow, and the wedding will be the day after.”
Victoria stared at her feet. She felt a burning sensation in her throat. “Edgar!” Yelled her father. Emil, their previous butler had fled his post a few days ago when the dead had surfaced the earth, scaring off only a few people, since most of them realized that the dead people weren’t dangerous. In fact, most of them were just dead relatives of the town’s folk.
Edgar noisily stepped into the foyer, wearing his usual formal suit. Edgar was very similar to Emil. In fact, the only main differences were that Edgar was shorter, with a slightly smaller nose and mustache. His nose was held high in the air, as he closed his eyes closed tightly. “Sir?” He asked with a deep British accent. The voice hung in the foyer for a moment, and then slowly resonated from the walls.
“Edgar, make sure that Victoria does not wander off anywhere before the rehearsal tomorrow.”
Edgar guided Victoria rather forcefully upstairs to her room. After they were both through the door, Edgar reached outside and locked it. Then he shut it from the inside and stood in front of it, guarding one of the only exits. And, even though there was another exit through a window, it led to a balcony. In order to leave from there, she would need to tie one part of her bed sheet to the bedpost and go down the other side. But even that was extremely flawed, since Edgar was closely watching. In fact, Edgar had even shifted his original body posture just so that he could easily see whatever Victoria did, or tried to do.
Victoria frantically searched through her drawer for something. Something of value. Edgar closely expected her sudden change in movement meticulously. When Victoria had stopped searching through the drawer, she pulled out a golden necklace. It was a very simple necklace, with a thin chain that had a medallion with a large “E”, for Everglot on it. It was a family heirloom that Victoria’s parents had strangely refused to sell. But, for the very reason that her parents wanted it, Victoria did not care for it. She did not like her family very much and keeping the necklace was just a symbol of her loyalty.
Victoria slowly stepped toward Edgar. She cleared her throat. “Um, Edgar,” She said in a whisper. “Would you mind letting me leave?”
Edgar stared at her with very strict eyes. “I can not, Ms. Everglot. Your father has instructed me to keep guard and-”
“Listen,” she interrupted. “This necklace is of much value. I don’t care what you do with it, but if you let me sneak out, I’ll let you keep it.” Edgar gave her a look of confusion. He was clearly thinking of the proposition.
“I can not,” He said, staring down at the ‘E’ on the necklace. “If I do I will loose my job.”
Victoria bit her lip for a moment. “But, if you do a good enough job of sneaking me out, no one will know. You can’t get in trouble if no one knows that you’ve helped me.”
Edgar gazed at the necklace, then at Victoria, and then at the necklace again. He looked around to make sure that no one was looking, and gently took the necklace, walking away from the door and towards the window. He opened it, and dragged the bed sheet halfway over the balcony’s rail. They had to tie a few layers of sheets together to reach a suitable length, but it still seemed stable. Edgar finally tied the end of the thinnest layer of bed sheet to the bedpost.
Victoria ran to the balcony, giving a small wave as she began to slide down the sheets. As she descended low enough just to peek into the window from above, she took advantage of her position and made sure that Hildegarde, her parents, or anyone else was looking. As soon as she touched the ground she slouched slightly and sprinted down the streets to a house with a sign marked ‘Van Dort’s Fish’. Directly below it, ‘In cans’ was written in a smaller type.
Victoria ran around the house to the front side. She cupped her hands over her mouth and yelled, “Victor!”
Victor, fortunately drawing something in his room in full view of the window, walked up to it and waved at her, signaling that he would be coming down. Victor quietly walked outside towards Victoria, looking around to make sure no one was looking.
“Victoria,” He muttered softly. “I’ve been writing down some wedding plans and-”
“Victor,” she said, while Victor continued to go on a pointless rant about the wedding and his parents. “Victor.” He still went on with his talking, looking at the ground as he said it. “Victor!” she yelled, this time stopping his rant.
“Oh, I’m sorry. You were saying something?”
Victoria sighed. She had no clue whatsoever of how to tell him that they couldn’t marry. “I-I think it’s great your making plans and everything, a-and I’ll look at them after I ran some errands,” she lied.
“Alright. I’ll be here if you need me.” Victor returned to the house, and then to his second-story room.
Victoria stared at her feet and walked away, not very aware of which direction she was headed. Victoria mumbled to herself as she stepped across a dark, cobblestone bridge. “Maybe I could- no, I couldn’t say that.” Victoria babbled on while she walked into the woods. It was still winter, so snow blanketed the forest’s floor. The trees looked gloomy, standing with empty branches. There were a few puddles on the ground, which were frozen, and crumbled as Victoria walked on them.
“Whoa!” she exclaimed as she tripped on one of the frozen puddles. When she looked up, there was a tall, sinister looking man in front of her. She fell back in surprise and backed up into a tree.
He wore beggar clothes, with a patched, brown cloak on that touched the ground. His face held an unpleasant frown, creating a dark shadow, forcing an intimidating look. The man’s eyes seemed somewhat empty though, and had a white color. He approached her, keeping his frightening stare.
“You wish to marry Victor,” He said in a deep, French accent. “Your parents wish for you to marry a wealthier groom. Victor does not yet know that you can not marry him. What do you seek?”
Victoria looked at him, bewildered beyond comparison. “W-what do I seek?”
“You seek wealth. Wealth will make your parents happy, and with wealth, it will not matter who you marry,” He paused, and held up a beautiful forget-me-not. “I can give you wealth.”
She looked at him with hope in her eyes. “H-how?”
He exhaled through his nose and gave the forget-me-not to Victoria. “There is a tombstone in this forest unlike any other. It is three times as tall as you, and twice as wide. It can be found in the center of this forest. Once you find it, knock on it three times. You will enter a strange world of scary beings who laugh with insanity. A dark world unlike any other.
“Go through the forest in this other world until you reach a gate, and a graveyard. There will be a garden of forget-me-nots unlike any other.” Victoria couldn’t help thinking of this man’s strange habit of saying, ‘unlike any other’. “Plant this flower in that garden,” he said, his voice now booming with volume. “Return to this world the same way that you came, and then, I will give you wealth. But only, after you plant the forget-me-not.”
A crow squawked loudly behind Victoria, making her turn the other way. When she turned back around, he was gone.