+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poetry Battle suggestions/feedback

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Poetry Battle suggestions/feedback

I think the battle thing is a fun idea, and I'd like to see it work. But without participation, it isn't going to. So I ask you, especially the regulars in the poetry forum (you know who you are), how can I make this more appealing? I notice people who post works nearly every day, but never bother to participate in contests like POTM or the battles. What's holding you back? Do you find the rules too restrictive, or are you just afraid of a little healthy competition?

Sorry, I can't offer you fabulous prizes and I'm not going to get rid of all the rules and make it a free-for-all, but beyond those, if you have suggestions and/or feedback on the poetry forum, shout 'em out. All ideas will be considered, though I don't promise that they'll all pan out.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Banned AngelicDemon201092 is off to a good start AngelicDemon201092's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Poetry Battle suggestions/feedback

Well what makes me not participate is the fact that I usually don't figure out what the POTM is until It's too late or I can't think of anything to write. That and I don't really understand how it works. But anyway.. The reason I don't perticipate in Battles is because for one, no one has ever challanged me and for two, I write a poem and then post it before ever thinking about using it in an idea of a battle. The ones i want to challange are one's i know will beat me and so yeah.. i don't want to loose right..

I don't really care about prizes. To me it's the joy of knowing you created a work of art that people appreciate and enjoy. Knowing that you created a work of art that surpasses everyone elses, then again.. that's just me. Not much help..... but I tossed in my reason for not participating ... Maybe i'll try it POTM sometime..

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicDemon201092 View Post
    Well what makes me not participate is the fact that I usually don't figure out what the POTM is until It's too late or I can't think of anything to write. That and I don't really understand how it works. But anyway.. The reason I don't perticipate in Battles is because for one, no one has ever challanged me and for two, I write a poem and then post it before ever thinking about using it in an idea of a battle. The ones i want to challange are one's i know will beat me and so yeah.. i don't want to loose right..

I don't really care about prizes. To me it's the joy of knowing you created a work of art that people appreciate and enjoy. Knowing that you created a work of art that surpasses everyone elses, then again.. that's just me. Not much help..... but I tossed in my reason for not participating ... Maybe i'll try it POTM sometime..
    I wonder if this is a general feeling...that members don't submit entries for POTM because they fear they'll be chastised for not following the rules...or just don't understand the rules. Remember that if you have questions, I'm always happy to explain anything you don't understand. I do try to post the month's theme ASAP, but I like to get the other judges' input beforehand.

As for the battles, why not challenge someone rather than wait to be challenged? I know that there are a lot of great poets on this site, and it may be intimidating to try to compete with them, but this is all in good fun, and I'd like to think everyone is gracious enough to win or lose with dignity. And win or lose, the more you compete, the more your skills as a writer will grow (and if you issue the challenge, you get to pick the theme, which could work to your advantage )
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

You know I was wondering the same thing... I was hoping to see more battles then I've been seeing... I know I write poems every now & then, but like gren mentioned you have people posting poems everyday or every other day...

I am or will not be afraid of a little competition, if anything I believe it will sharpen up the skills, so if I must I will jump start a battle after I freshen up on the rules...

I read them before, but I just want to make sure & I don't believe anything needs to be changed, but if I come up with anything I would sure be gladly to let you know...

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    I wonder if this is a general feeling...that members don't submit entries for POTM because they fear they'll be chastised for not following the rules...or just don't understand the rules. Remember that if you have questions, I'm always happy to explain anything you don't understand. I do try to post the month's theme ASAP, but I like to get the other judges' input beforehand.

As for the battles, why not challenge someone rather than wait to be challenged? I know that there are a lot of great poets on this site, and it may be intimidating to try to compete with them, but this is all in good fun, and I'd like to think everyone is gracious enough to win or lose with dignity. And win or lose, the more you compete, the more your skills as a writer will grow (and if you issue the challenge, you get to pick the theme, which could work to your advantage )

Well that's my biggest fear... >< then again.. i'm weird like that and i worry about things like that a lot. My poems also come and go so I usually just get a topic in my head and write like that.. Whenever i've tried it doesn't come out right... so i just let them come when they come. Oh and I understand about wanting to talk to others and get their imput it's not your fault that I don't look at it. I just tend to forget about it and everything.. I just don't know what I do... do I just like go to POTM and figure it out and create a thread.. see this is where i get lost.... >< I make everything harder than it actually is.. -sighs-

mm... challanging someone isn't a bad idea but.... i don't think it would be far to create a poem.. then challange someone to write a poem like that .. i think that's against the rules anyway.. That and I tend to write long poems and i don't think that many people enjoy long poems. Then again that may just be a misunderstanding on my part. Yeah.. if i picked it.. it might work but still.. I dunno.. I'm skitish about these things.. ><

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicDemon201092 View Post

mm... challanging someone isn't a bad idea but.... i don't think it would be far to create a poem.. then challange someone to write a poem like that .. i think that's against the rules anyway.. That and I tend to write long poems and i don't think that many people enjoy long poems. Then again that may just be a misunderstanding on my part. Yeah.. if i picked it.. it might work but still.. I dunno.. I'm skitish about these things.. ><
    The battles kind of work on the honor system...I have enough faith in all of you to expect that you'll be fair, and give a theme that not only challenges your opponent but yourself as well. Otherwise, what's the point? Any idiot can give a theme of something they've already written just to get a win, but a real writer with a sense of integrity will pick a theme that forces them to expand their creativity beyond works that they've already done.

Like I said, if you issue the challenge, you can pick the theme, and also the length and structure. Just give it a try, you may be surprised at how well you do.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Thanks

Alright... ^-^ I will try it then... thanks Gren. ^-^

oh.. adn when you enter a battle is there someone I send it too.. or what?

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay quick question when you say "one battle at a time" does that mean after the person had already subimt their entry, but the deadline hasn't occured he/she still can't accept another battle until the deadline has passed.???

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast