+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Render Glow Effect

Otaku anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000's Avatar
    Thanks

Render Glow Effect

I hope some of you enjoy this tutorial.

I look forward to seeing this tutorial being put to use.

.:Seize The World With Knowlegde:.

Currently watching: Kanokon:Bleach:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:School Days:Welcome To The NHK
    .:My deviantART|My Twitter|My Forum- AW Designs -Please Join|My Facebook|My Youtube:.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Render Glow Effect

This can be achieved alot easier and faster.

Simply apply a Gausian Blur to the object, doesn't matter how much, although, the more you use, the better the glow, then go

Edit --> Fade Gausian Blur, then set to Either Overlay, Soft Light, or Hard Light

Then...

PROFIT

Example:

click to show spoiler

Your tutorial shortened to 3 steps.

Also, you might want to work on making your tutorial text easier to read. The text is too small.

Otaku anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't use Photoshop ace. But I do have to say that kinda shaves time off the process of the glow. btw the font size was only 10 I'm sure your eyes can handle it.

.:Seize The World With Knowlegde:.

Currently watching: Kanokon:Bleach:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:School Days:Welcome To The NHK
    .:My deviantART|My Twitter|My Forum- AW Designs -Please Join|My Facebook|My Youtube:.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

there's nothing wrong with the font size, its the black outside stroke coupled with the dark background, and maybe a little bit with the size too.

It could stand with a larger font and possibly a better font choice (Verdana is a good one, its a version of Arial that is designed for Screen use while Arial is for print use). 12 or 13 pt are good bets. When using text on dark backgrounds, usually black text with white strokes are good bets.

That and my eye sight isn't perfect.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anime_8000 View Post
    I don't use Photoshop ace. But I do have to say that kinda shaves time off the process of the glow. btw the font size was only 10 I'm sure your eyes can handle it.
    I would like to point, sorry my eye sight is almost perfect and the standard size for any text document is 12pt. Anything lower, if your using Mac or Windows won't look the way you want to. As Mac's fonts change, especially for websites (is studying web design so she should know this). So I would agree, change the text. Its impossible to see such big paragraphs of text in any font size smaller than 12. It just won't help anyone at all.

Edit - Also for a glowing effect, you can smudge a duplicated layer, place it underneath the original and it should have the same effect as to the one Ace mentioned.
    Last edited by Sazzy; Jul 23, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Edit - Also for a glowing effect, you can smudge a duplicated layer, place it underneath the original and it should have the same effect as to the one Ace mentioned.
    True, True, but you won't get the vibrant colors that would through my method.

Why have something glowing when the colors of the object itself are dull?

Of course, there's another way to do it if you're using photoshop: You can just set the Outerglow effect in the layers panel. You'd be amazed what a subtle Yellow can do...

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    True, True, but you won't get the vibrant colors that would through my method.

Why have something glowing when the colors of the object itself are dull?

Of course, there's another way to do it if you're using photoshop: You can just set the Outerglow effect in the layers panel. You'd be amazed what a subtle Yellow can do...
    you can scatter the smudge tool, then it will still keep colours, if you really wanted to duplicate another layer of the image but set it as soft light at say 75% opacity, it will keep more of the colours too.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    you can scatter the smudge tool, then it will still keep colours, if you really wanted to duplicate another layer of the image but set it as soft light at say 75% opacity, it will keep more of the colours too.
    If you duplicate the layer, then apply a Median Blur to the top layer, then set it to Overlay, soft light or hard light, you get good effects as well, but the "glow" isn't as good as what I suggested.

+ Reply to Thread