Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ouran High School Host Club

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Ouran High School Host Club

(image courtesy of Anime News Network)
    Synopsis :
    At Ouran Academy, a school where family prestige is first and wealth is second, poor (financially) Fujioka Haruhi earned entrance through rare scholarship. One day, while searching for a quiet place to study, Haruhi stumbles upon the Ouran Host Club, and promptly breaks a vase worth $80,000. To pay it back, Haruhi becomes their newest member. Everything seems to be going fine and there are no problems with the "natural rookie" Host. That is, until they find out that "he" is a really a "she"...

Personal Opinion :
    I know, I know, I gave this show straight 5's. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that just because I like the show so much. This series really deserves those ratings, and it has only been out since April 4th. Allow me to elaborate though.

Graphics - This is the kind of series that would really suffer if the animation wasn't outstanding, so thank goodness it is! If you went into this not knowing the premise, you really would think that Haruhi is a boy, and yet it's totally possible to imagine her looking like a girl under that boy-ish appearance. The animation, in general, is very well done for the series. I feel they do a really nice job of showing the elegance and humor at the same time through the graphics. The animation is very expressive.

Sound - Let's start right at the beginning. The opening is upbeat and SO addictive. If there's one part I watch over and over again, it's the opening. I enjoy singing along. The voice work is fabulous. I've followed the manga series since it was released her the US, and when I first heard the voices in the first episode, the very next thought running through my mind was "That is so what I imagined them sounding like!" Sakamoto Maaya-sama really does the Haruhi's voice justice. Like, vigilante justice. The sound effects and background music really bring something to the show.

Replay Value - Let's just say, I usually keep my anime on my external hard drive, but I made an exception for this series. Why? Because I enjoy watching it over and over again. The first time I wrote up this review (and then it got lost, stupid internet), I was watching the 3rd episode while I typed. I won't even go into how many times I've watched the first two episodes, partially because I've lost count. And yet, they don't get old or tired, and I'm always looking for an opportunity to watch them all again. Like I said, the opening is especially replay-able.

Other - I'm just going to go through some things that I think are particularly noteworthy in this series.
    - The use of symbolism is really subtle, but really good and well-placed. In the first episode, the use of the light bulbs was genius. I didn't even get what they were for until the 3/4 bulbs were lit. The second episode uses a teacup ride (very cleverly actually) to show the problem and resolution of said problem of the female patrons. The 3rd episode uses a kite to show Haruhi's respect for Tamaki.
    -I really enjoy the (what I'm going to call) "Pointers of Obvious Trouble". Everytime the vase was in a scene in the first episode, there was a beeping/blinking arrow pointing to it. No matter how little of the vase is on the screen, the arrow is there. They have arrows in the second episode, but the sake of not ruining something absolutely hilarious, I won't say what they point at.
    -The characters are all very unique and well expressed. Even though there have only been 3 episodes released on fansub so far, you can really tell that each character has their own distinct personality. What I also appreciate is that they act like rich high school kids. There are no deep, dark pasts; no tramatic experiences. These are high school students and they act like it (even if they do also act as rich as they are. )
    -I realized at one point watching it that the opening does a really good job of showing how "fancy and elegant" the Host Club setting is, but also showing that the show is really funny.

I would highly recommend this series to absolutely anyone. It's hilarious and completely enjoyable.

(In my original type-up of this review, I think I had a few more things, but I can't remember what they were off the top of my head, also, my shift is over and I have to pack up to go. )
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Oct 27, 2006 at 01:32 AM.
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ouran High School Host Club

i completely agree with u, i started watching this series when u posted it in the manga/anime section. and after watching the first eps, i've been completely hooked on it. i've watched all 3 eps at least 2-3 time now.

Otaku Space Runner Champion HibikiLink may be famous one day HibikiLink may be famous one day HibikiLink's Avatar
    Thanks

I would really like to see this. Sounds interesting. atleast you put a picture in

Thanks alot Sasurihell and Kedar for the sigs and thanks Sammy 65 for the changing pics
    http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1...icsclanhf5.gif[x/img]
    (just remove the "x" from the [x/img] tag!

Otaku mixed fighter girl may be famous one day mixed fighter girl may be famous one day mixed fighter girl's Avatar
    Thanks

i love it so much >< i really love to whatch and read it!
    I will fight until i find what i'm looking for...you can not judge me on my apperence I am a Warrior. If you have a problem with me..... then my blades will meet your neck.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that this series is somehow weird, but the story line is pretty kool. In the first episode the dudes thought that the chick was a boy.

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro
    I think that this series is somehow weird, but the story line is pretty kool. In the first episode the dudes thought that the chick was a boy.
    I think that's the cool part about this series though. I mean, Haruhi is really doing this simply to pay back a debt, and yet she's getting a real kick out of doing it. I mean, she evens starts using "ore" (which is a "guy only" word for those of you who don't know) just to make it more fun and realistic. I think that's great. I'm also enjoying the fact that it's poor Haruhi vs the other rich club members. I laugh everytime she thinks "Damn you rich bastards" when they do something totally "I'm rich and you're not" around her.

The show really has it's own style and unique feel.
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Newbie henzor may be famous one day henzor may be famous one day henzor's Avatar
    Thanks

hehe completely agree with ur review ^^v cant wait for more releases *gets excited*
    "A good discussion should be like a miniskirt; short enough to pertain interest yet long enough to cover the subject." ;]

Newbie Sakurai may be famous one day Sakurai may be famous one day Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish I could give this more than a five, but
    I can't. And everyting you said about Ouran is
    totally true! This is my favorite anime and I've
    seen the 8 episodes already released! Its a great
    anime, and I too, recomned it to ANYONE! Its really
    lovely, and I just love the whole plot to it really! <3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast