+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 911 call that was taken as a prank

Newbie Saphire Xanthos may be famous one day Saphire Xanthos may be famous one day Saphire Xanthos's Avatar
    Thanks

911 call that was taken as a prank

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/10/cal....ap/index.html

Well a child in Detroit called 911 for help because his mother had collapsed on the floor. The operator thought it was a prank and dimissed his cry for help. In the outcome the mother died because help arrived 20 minutes later.

Should the operator lose her job after having 20+ years of experience? Do not forget though that telephone operators get so many prank calls during the day especially from imature teenagers and kids. do not tell me also that YOU have never played prank calls in your life as a kid or a teen.

Anyway, before you start judging just put yourself in both the operators shoes and the childs then tell me what you have done in both their places. Have fun debating =)

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 911 call that was taken as a prank

One mistake in twenty years of loyalty and supposedly dependable 'work'. Naw, she's fine.

And, no, I've never prank called 911. I have a few of my friends, though.

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Newbie Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc's Avatar
    Thanks

How old was the child? Because if I was in his shoes, I mighta ran to a neighbour quickly and then ran back and waited. But I'm 15, and I've never had to do that. If he was really young though, I guess he/she wouldn't of left her.
    In the operators case though, 1 major mistake after 20 years! Wow, that's a good record. She has too live with that mistake for the rest of her life, so she shouldn't have to lose her job too. But if she's got a permanent mental scar, and can' do her work then that's another matter.

Otaku Eiden may be famous one day Eiden may be famous one day Eiden's Avatar
    Destiny.. well somewhere along those lines
    Thanks

It was a simple accident, theses things happen unfortunetly. After 20 years she makes one mistake isnt that bad escpecially when the person sounds like a prank caler, sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Newbie Fudo may be famous one day Fudo may be famous one day Fudo's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't calling emergancy breaking a prankers code! (It is now!)

That is the most dumbest thing I've ever heard, I think that operator deserves a slap really though mistakes makes you human right? Does anyone think the operator did this due an increase in prank phone calls?

I remember testing if 911 would work in the UK though when I was young...didn't work =/

Gundam Builder Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x's Avatar
    Thanks

Aren't all 911 emergency operators suppose to take all calls seriously? How does a kid calling and saying there mom fell on the floor a prank call?

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

i suppose if i were in the operator's position, i would've done the same thing. foolish kids and teens find it amusing to prank call 911 (or 000 in aus). it happens so often that i'd be prepared to dismiss just about all calls from those age groups. i guess it was just bad luck - the operator must've had to decide whether or not to believe the kid or not. a 50/50 chance, but she guessed wrong. after 20+ years old experience, i don't think she should lose her job.

as for the kid... if i were in his position, i'd definitely want to sue the operator and make sure she never sees daylight again. his mother's now dead because of the operator! this is just how a youngster's mind works... but i guess if he were older, he'd understand that the operator's not all to blame. i'd say, blame all those thousands of foolish teens and kids for prank calling 911 on a daily basis.

Otaku twistergal723 may be famous one day twistergal723 may be famous one day twistergal723's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire Xanthos
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/10/cal....ap/index.html

Well a child in Detroit called 911 for help because his mother had collapsed on the floor. The operator thought it was a prank and dimissed his cry for help. In the outcome the mother died because help arrived 20 minutes later.

Should the operator lose her job after having 20+ years of experience? Do not forget though that telephone operators get so many prank calls during the day especially from imature teenagers and kids. do not tell me also that YOU have never played prank calls in your life as a kid or a teen.

Anyway, before you start judging just put yourself in both the operators shoes and the childs then tell me what you have done in both their places. Have fun debating =)
    Who hasn't heard this story...Anyway the operator should lose her job even after 20+ years of experience....Whether it is a prank call or not all calls to the dispatcher should be taken seriously...She has made a mistake and a little boy saw his mother die. Why should she keep her job and be all happy when a boy has to go through the rest of his life without a mother? As for making prank calls yes I have made prank calls but never to 911...Thats a button I don't play with.

I'm ♥mazing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast