+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 911 call that was taken as a prank

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 911 call that was taken as a prank

a similar incident in australia happened just a few days ago. a group of friends were at the beach when they were attacked by some other people for reasons unknown. they called the police 4 times before they were taken seriously, and by that time, one of them had gone blind in his right eye.

his face was severely cut and bruised, and he's barely 20 or so years old. at an age this young, he's already blind in one eye. he keeps asking the same question - "why me?" had their earlier calls to the police been taken seriously the first time, perhaps he would still have been able to see through both eyes.

Elie Jelly elie26 may be famous one day elie26 may be famous one day elie26's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel
    i suppose if i were in the operator's position, i would've done the same thing. foolish kids and teens find it amusing to prank call 911 (or 000 in aus). it happens so often that i'd be prepared to dismiss just about all calls from those age groups. i guess it was just bad luck - the operator must've had to decide whether or not to believe the kid or not. a 50/50 chance, but she guessed wrong. after 20+ years old experience, i don't think she should lose her job.

as for the kid... if i were in his position, i'd definitely want to sue the operator and make sure she never sees daylight again. his mother's now dead because of the operator! this is just how a youngster's mind works... but i guess if he were older, he'd understand that the operator's not all to blame. i'd say, blame all those thousands of foolish teens and kids for prank calling 911 on a daily basis.
    i agree, no matter it's a prank or w/e, they shud always take ur jobs seriously...

Otaku Big Money Champion hyuuga13 may be famous one day hyuuga13 may be famous one day hyuuga13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire Xanthos
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/10/cal....ap/index.html

Well a child in Detroit called 911 for help because his mother had collapsed on the floor. The operator thought it was a prank and dimissed his cry for help. In the outcome the mother died because help arrived 20 minutes later.

Should the operator lose her job after having 20+ years of experience? Do not forget though that telephone operators get so many prank calls during the day especially from imature teenagers and kids. do not tell me also that YOU have never played prank calls in your life as a kid or a teen.

Anyway, before you start judging just put yourself in both the operators shoes and the childs then tell me what you have done in both their places. Have fun debating =)
    I dont entirely blame the operator for what happened. you have to wonder though how many prank calls she answered during that same day. i think she could have at least sent someone out there to check out the situation and than when they found the mother called for real help. but to disregard the phone call completely, that is where she went wrong. I do not think the boy did anything wrong. he did as he was taught to which was if anything happened to the mother he was supposed to dial 911. his mother told him that that particular number is for emergency's only and what happened was an emergency. it was not like he was prank calling to get attention.
    Why is everything so ****ing hard for me? Keep me down to what you think I should be! Must you tempt me and provoke the ministry? Keep on trying I'm not dying so easily!

Devoted Otaku Defend Your Castle Champion rock on may be famous one day rock on may be famous one day rock on's Avatar
    Thanks

some time people dont belive in little kids or people of other racies. but in the end it is up to you. the operator has never been in that kind of problem and didnt know what to do so they made a hard choice

92% of teens moved to rap. I am one of the 8% rebelions

Newbie dDoKbOkGi may be famous one day dDoKbOkGi may be famous one day dDoKbOkGi's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe all emergency calls should be taken seriously(and I thought they were supposed to be?). It's better to make sure than just pass it off and end up being responsible for someone's death.

I think this operator should be held responsible. When you have a job that puts you in charge of getting help to the people that need it, there is no room for your "thoughts" or "judgements". If I was that boy I would be suing her and yes, I believe she deserves to get fired or at least a very long suspension.
    살고 싶어서 사는 사람은 없다.
    모두다 사랑을 하고 싶어서 산다.
    사랑해

Otaku ShadowRabbit may be famous one day ShadowRabbit may be famous one day ShadowRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

sackable offence
    ALL CALLS SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!
    Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address
    [IMG]curtsies to Pyro_psyco666

Mercenary SousukeSagara may be famous one day SousukeSagara may be famous one day SousukeSagara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire Xanthos
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/10/cal....ap/index.html

Well a child in Detroit called 911 for help because his mother had collapsed on the floor. The operator thought it was a prank and dimissed his cry for help. In the outcome the mother died because help arrived 20 minutes later.

Should the operator lose her job after having 20+ years of experience? Do not forget though that telephone operators get so many prank calls during the day especially from imature teenagers and kids. do not tell me also that YOU have never played prank calls in your life as a kid or a teen.

Anyway, before you start judging just put yourself in both the operators shoes and the childs then tell me what you have done in both their places. Have fun debating =)
    I think the operator must lose her job after what she has done..... `Cause she's not wise in making desition...... Even if the child is doing some prank calls, she must send some help through the child to make sure.....

And the parents must dicipline their children, so that they will not do that serious kind of joke.....

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

I think jobs should be taken seriously if there are chances that the calls are prank. It's better to be there and help out people rather than ignoring them and leaving them die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3