+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: abortion

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: abortion

I'm more worried about living my own life than self-righteously defending the conflicting, totally subjective rights of others. There is nothing about the abortion issue that personally affects me or that I have learned first-hand. I am not qualified to have an opinion.

Unfortunately, 95% of the passionate combatants in the issue are similarly uninvolved, inexperienced and unsympathetic.

I choose my battles... and prefer to fight for causes I know about firsthand: queer issues, immigration issues, freedom of speech, education.

Women who have had abortions, women have actually given birth to accidental children and unwanted children themselves should be the ones left to this debate. Who are we to tell them how they feel and what their lives are like and what religious dogma many of them don't even believe in would have done to them?

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Women who have had abortions, women have actually given birth to accidental children and unwanted children themselves should be the ones left to this debate. Who are we to tell them how they feel and what their lives are like and what religious dogma many of them don't even believe in would have done to them?
    Exactly.

People have seemed to forgotten that the morals we hold close to our heart are our own personal beliefs. Therefore we should not shove our beliefs and ideas down someone's throat. It makes people feel uncomfortable and that's something a pregnant mother whether she was raped or not doesn't need at the moment. All you're doing is forcing her to see things your way. You're telling her the things that you want her to hear. There are two sides of the story and you have to listen to both in order to make better judgement. But unfourtunatly you have the religious right who thinks its a okay to shove their beliefs down everyone's throat. That is something that goes against my beliefs and it is something that seriously ticks me off.
    Last edited by Descended From Darkness; Feb 28, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    That is something that goes against my beliefs and it is something that seriously ticks me off.
    It's not just the religious right.

There are plenty of feminists, atheists, scientists and rabid-liberals who make it their mission to chide women who believe, personally, that abortion is wrong for being for the opression of women's rights, in denial of scientific reality, etc.

If you have had an abortion and deeply regret it, the last thing I imagine you want to hear is that it was "just a clump of cells" and that you're being silly.

To put it quite plainly: I think both sides need to shut up about "promoting" their views. Decisions are to be made by consensus in a democracy... not by campaigning. We should have popular votes with no fanfare... the outcomes should be based completely on personal beliefs should regulate legal matters surrounding the issue. They should be revisited in court when questioned, overturned when found in conflict with other pre-existing laws and those laws changed legitimately if a majority are in agreement. But it's a very private and potentially traumatic matter that's being made into an ideological circus by those who have never experienced any part of the matter firsthand.

Why do so many people care about this enough to fight over it... even hate people over it, when it's never once personally affected them?

We need to regain some perspective.

It isn't our duty to police or make judgements about the morals of others. It's our duty to enforce morality in ourselves and do what we think is right.

ie. if you're pro-choice: you vote that way, you make decisions about your own life and family accordingly.

if you're pro-life: you vote that way, you make decisions about your own life and family accordingly.

Beyond that, it's none of your **** business.

Atheists, feminists and scientists aren't beyond self-righteousness. Nor does being a conservative Christian automatically make you a judgemental idiot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6