+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adoptive Parents

Otaku sazza2488 may be famous one day sazza2488 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Adoptive Parents

I heard a bit on the telly today about adoptive parents, and they made a comment that society doesn't view adoptive parents as "real" parents. Of course, for any adoptive parent, this sort of hit a nerve. If I was a adoptive parent, I never refer to myself as her adoptive mom and never refer to her as my adopted daughter. But I hear it all the time - "her adopted daughter", "his adoptive father", 'their adopted children'. It irritates me to no end...

Why is it necessary to add the "adopted" all the time? And do you think their is a difference between "real" parents and 'adoptive' parents in how they raise their children?

Tell me your views.

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Adoptive Parents

Because technically the adopted child isn't really yours and they don't have your genes. Not really it depends on the situation. I have friends who were treated wrong. Two are adopted and 1 has biological parents. Though it does appear(to me anyways) That the adopted parents will mistreat their children and not even give the mthe TLC they need and or will favor the other adopted children...that's how it seems to me anyways.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Because they adopted the children to give them a home, I feel one shouldn't refer to them as "adoptive parents". No, they aren't their biological parents, but they gave the kid(s) a home. Somewhere to live, and love, and learn. To me, that's all the a person needs to call themselves a biological parent or child.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

thats becose they want to make it clear that the child is adopted, but they only do that on tv when you normally meet the parent or the child you would not refere to them as adoptive parents/children.
    Becose refering to a person as adopted doughter/son is very impolite and insulting, and if you dont now a person asking them that there children are adopted is also very impolite so its somthing you just dont do.

And about adopting i think its a very good thing not only do you give a child a new life you also give them a hope and a new future.
    It also gives you the right to call yourself a mother/father and its somthing to be very proud of.

But i have to be honest the possibility of me adopthing a child arent very big i only would adopt a child if the are close family (by close family i mean the child of one of my siblings) are a good frend.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe that biology has nothing to do with parenting. There are biological parents who are horrible and adoptive parents who are wonderful. Nature vs. Nurture and whatnot.

I myself have considered adoption several times. It is unfortunate that very few couples want an older child, so there is relatively high demand for babies and toddlers, and there are hundreds upon hundreds of "unwanted" prepubescents and adolescents.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Adoptive Parents

Well.... My mommy adopted me and NOBODY can tell me that SHE IS NOT MY MOM... My biological momo died when I was 7... but the one that raised me after that was my mother... it bugs me when ppl try to call her "my step-mother" or "my adotptive mother" she IS my mom... she has cried for me she has laugh for me and of course she has get mad at me and to the opposite. But she is my mom. those ppl that adopt kids make a great effort to love and to care someone that they didn't give birth... they make a huge effort to win the kid's love and most of them their dream is that someday the kid will call him father or her mother w/out hesitation...
    it is unfair for the parents if soc. keeps telling the kid: "Oh so that is ur adoptive parent"... it is unfair and dumb
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this isn't what this subject is about but I noticed that kids that get adopted are extremely loyal to their adoptive parents. Very much more than biologically related kids are to their parents.

Concerning the thread title. I think whoever raises you is your real parent. Just because you gave birth doesn't make you a mother.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

I think children who are adopted are more loyal to their parents because they were chosen, they were special. Out of everyone this couple could have adopted, they wanted this child, those siblings, etc. Biological parents don't exactly have that choice. Yes, you could make the argument that they chose not to abort the baby, but they didn't know how it would turn out, not the way adoptive parents get to see what the child is like before selecting him/her to join their family. Adoption is very special.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast