+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Age Differences...

Newbie LadyJuliaHale is off to a good start LadyJuliaHale's Avatar
    Don't tell me to smile, because I don't know how.
    Thanks

Age Differences...

So, I've been stuck into this dilemma, it involves this guy that I really like who is 31. It also involves me being 21 and my dad. I just read a thread that had been posted on here quite a while ago about age discrimination. Well, I guess my question is...if your father won't let you (a 21 year old) date someone who is 31 (the guy), would that be considered age discrimination? Also, would it not be right for a father to not allow their adult daughter freedom, even though you live in the apartment that he rents?
    I'm standing in the dark calling your name, But when you don't answer,
    I realized everyday it's the same.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Age Differences...

One would think that at the Age of 21, you would be concidered an Adult and be left to your own devices.

But no, its not Age Discrimination, its called "Your father protecting is little girl", a force of nature that should not be reckoned with, for fear of his wrath.

You need to sit down with your Dad and talk with him about this, get to see things from his perspective. Just because he won't let you do something doesn't mean he doesn't have your best interests at heart.

If you live in your Dad's apartment, I hate to break it to you, he does get to dictate the rules for living in said apartment. If he says "no, you can't date that guy" and you want to continue living there... well, you do the math.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Jul 26, 2009)

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, you remind me of one of my friends she was dating this guy who was her dads age. She lived at home because she was like 19 or 20 at the time, her father didn't like her seeing that guy so she snuck around behind his back. Hahaha Needless to say he did not approve, she moved in with the guy, had a kid, and got married to him. After she had the kid with him her father started accepting him. She ended up cheating her husband for younger men though. Not a happy ending, they stayed together for the kids. I guess what I'm trying to say is most relationships are hopeless, dads are forever.

As long as you are under his roof, you have to act like you listen to him no matter how old you are.

As for me, thats why I don't tell my father about the guys I date. It makes him happier that way. Of course I rarely see my father anyways, he lives in a town I don't often drive too.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Newbie LadyJuliaHale is off to a good start LadyJuliaHale's Avatar
    Don't tell me to smile, because I don't know how.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zev View Post
    Yeah, you remind me of one of my friends she was dating this guy who was her dads age. She lived at home because she was like 19 or 20 at the time, her father didn't like her seeing that guy so she snuck around behind his back. Hahaha Needless to say he did not approve, she moved in with the guy, had a kid, and got married to him. After she had the kid with him her father started accepting him. She ended up cheating her husband for younger men though. Not a happy ending, they stayed together for the kids. I guess what I'm trying to say is most relationships are hopeless, dads are forever.

As long as you are under his roof, you have to act like you listen to him no matter how old you are.

As for me, thats why I don't tell my father about the guys I date. It makes him happier that way. Of course I rarely see my father anyways, he lives in a town I don't often drive too.
    Yeah, though...I would only prefer older guys compared to guys my age and such.

Ha! My dad is too controlling and doesn't even let us outside. My mom still smokes because of him and he overexaggerates stuff.

I wish my dad was more like yours, to be honest. I'm not happy where I'm living and I can't get a job because of no experience, so I'm stuck in an unhappy place where all I really do is get angry and frustrated because he doesn't let me go anywhere or hang out with friends. To be honest, I feel like I'm living in a prison and my dad is the warden.
    I'm standing in the dark calling your name, But when you don't answer,
    I realized everyday it's the same.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes it is age descrimination and you are 21 you need to be in control of your own life.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Ace is correct its not age discrimination as its not a sociel discrimination that is generaly unaccepted by the masses, such as say a 14 year old girl dating a 32 year old guy. EVERY father in the world will kill ANY one who messes with their daughter, being older or other wise. Now I have no kids and do not want one for a rather long time, but I have given it much thought and there are things I thought that wouldnt bouther me so much that I found out that would if I had a daughter. I wouldnt be supprised if I was one of those dads who welcomes his daughter's boy friend into the house and go "See this gun, yeah its a nice hunting rifle, fires 20aot6 round, I happen to be a very good shot with it to... Don't make me put you in its cross hairs."
    Any ways, as long as you are under his roof, you are subjected by his law. When you move out then he really has no say in the matter.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Yes it is age descrimination and you are 21 you need to be in control of your own life.
    Wow, life is going to hit you like a ton of bricks when you leave home and move in with your first roommate.

The reality is this: who ever has their name on the deed or lease gets to dictate what goes on in the house. If that person says you can't do something, guess what? You can't do it, not with out risking not having a place to live.

Banned neko nathaniel is off to a good start neko nathaniel's Avatar
    Thanks

no u are rong ace she is 21 and so hapins to live with her father.if a dad dus not let his dater rull her own life at 21 thers something rong with that! just ask any one and shold not mater if shes liveing withe her dad or not.so be it that he duse not like him that just means dont bring him to the house.just remember he is 31 and u are21 so just dong go rushing into thing

i wuld like be friend for a bit still.bring him to the house to see your dad a few time and see how it gos. but thats just me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast