+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: American football in the Olympics?

Newbie 59wayz is off to a good start 59wayz's Avatar
    Thanks

American football in the Olympics?

OK, Atomik_Sprout and I decided that we wanted to post a joint thread to discuss. The topic we chose is "If American football should be an Olympic sport?" I am doing the Pros and Sprout is doing the Cons. We figured we'd do it this way, so it won't be a one-sided question/debate. (Just as a disclaimer, we both enjoy massive amounts of football)

*Sprout's thoughts*

"Now don't get me wrong, I love me some football. But, since I drew the shorter stick, I have to write about the cons. Ugh... Here goes:

Why shouldn't American football in the olympics? Why should it be? Rugby isn't in the olympics and it's practically the same sport--give or take a few differences, like how the ball is moved down the field and such. And I highly doubt EVERY country plays football, let alone watch it. Maybe futbol (soccer), but not {american} football. Not only that, but outside of America, there's only NFL Europe, Canada and South America and the one real American game in England. But, what about Asia? I was told they're considering trying to get some NFL action in the land of the East, but will it actually happen? Will Asia embrace American football? I mean, I don't doubt the possibility; I know a lot of Japanese people I've spoken with online who LOVE some NBA. But, the chances of American football being an Olympic sport is equal to the chances of cricket being in an Olympic sport. LOL."

*59wayz thoughts*

I personally believe that American football should be in the Olympic games. I feel that it is as universal of a sport as soccer. The NFL is expanding around the globe. That was the purpose for the game being played in England a couple weeks ago. Yeah not every country is into football, but don't you think that it would help gain exposure to the world through the Olympics. This is a sport that most of the world would probably enjoy. I don't think it's too fair to have trampolining as an Olympic sport, and have football be neglected. Where is the talant in trampolining? At least in American football you see a mix of speed, power, coordination, and big hits. Yeah it may be violent, but not to violent that no one would watch it.
    Last edited by aceman67; Nov 07, 2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Use colors that are more readable please.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: American football in the Olympics?

No one else in the world plays American Football ^^; Yeah NFL is pushing some world leagues and trying to sell the game to kids with comic books and cartoons... but while other countries seem to think the sport is vaguely interesting: no one's actually PLAYING it. There's no point opening it up to worldwide competition when the only nation with any sort of large-scale interest is obviously going to win.

The Olympics isn't a springboard for pushing the popularity of obscure sports... it's a competition designed to measure the ability of athletes from different nations in sports that are widely played.

Thanks

That's not 100% true. The talent that there is in the world and your telling me that America would have an advantage. Once the world understands the rules to American football soon America would start losing. Just like our baseball team lol.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 59wayz View Post
    That's not 100% true. The talent that there is in the world and your telling me that America would have an advantage. Once the world understands the rules to American football soon America would start losing. Just like our baseball team lol.
    The point is: the world doesn't care. And in order to have a fair competition... you need to have two teams of at least moderately comparable skill and experience show up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    The point is: the world doesn't care. And in order to have a fair competition... you need to have two teams of at least moderately comparable skill and experience show up.
    We don't just let anyone into the Olympic teams, In fact the best way to do it is the way they do it now. No professionals are allowed to compete. Which makes the games even, only for the fact that each team has months to practice before the Olympic games.

Thanks

No professionals are allowed to compete.
    Then explain "The Dream Team" to everyone.

And here I was under the impression that Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson were NBA players.

I guess all of those shoe endorsements were for charity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Then explain "The Dream Team" to everyone.

And here I was under the impression that Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson were NBA players.

I guess all of those shoe endorsements were for charity.
    Because the NFL needed players from around the world since we were losing most of ours. It's called advertisement and selling. Do what I need to bring in more and better business.

Thanks

Because the NFL needed players from around the world since we were losing most of ours. It's called advertisement and selling. Do what I need to bring in more and better business.
    You missed the point entirely.

Those are basketball players... members of the NBA and members of the United States 1992 Summer Olympic basketball team. They are all professionals who competed in the Olympics.

The point was that professional athletes are no longer barred from Olympic competition (and haven't been since the early 90s). Which negates your defense that professional football players wouldn't be allowed to compete and therefore level the playing field.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast