+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: American football in the Olympics?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: American football in the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    The point is: the world doesn't care. And in order to have a fair competition... you need to have two teams of at least moderately comparable skill and experience show up.
    That's actually not true. Remember the trampoline jumping thing in Atlanta in 96?? It can't get more obscure than that. And the we technically know that certain countries dominate certain sports. Ukraine usually dominates women's gymnastic. American dominates softball (thus the olympic committee took it out), China dominates women's soccer, USA dominating basketball (I'll slap whoever thinks the world has already caught up), etc.

American football will never be in the Olympics, because the NFL has yet to go global like the NBA. Baseball is in Japan and America so you have your West and East support. Not to mention there's a lot of negative feelings toward USA right now.

Even if the Olympic Committee allows it, I would not want to see our football players play during the summer. It is very dangerous and no human body can take that much damage. NHL allows the league to completely stop for players to play in the Winter olympics, baseball uses college players, basketball is in the offseason during the summer. It goes the same for football, but if NFL players have to go at it for another 12 weeks before the season starts (usually during labor day) that's dangerous for them. Owners and NFLPA would not allow such a thing to happen.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Not to mention that the Olympics are not as financially interesting as regular pro play.

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

if no 1 else plays american football then there cant be a worldwide competetion, its as simple as that

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Newbie 59wayz is off to a good start 59wayz's Avatar
    Thanks

True, but is there really anything wrong with helping it become a sport played worldwide?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    No one else in the world plays American Football ^^; Yeah NFL is pushing some world leagues and trying to sell the game to kids with comic books and cartoons... but while other countries seem to think the sport is vaguely interesting: no one's actually PLAYING it. There's no point opening it up to worldwide competition when the only nation with any sort of large-scale interest is obviously going to win.

The Olympics isn't a springboard for pushing the popularity of obscure sports... it's a competition designed to measure the ability of athletes from different nations in sports that are widely played.
    I can agree with you on that point. America is the only country who really gives more than two s****s about football. Soccer is still one of the biggest sports in the world. Wanna know why? Because EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD KNOWS HOW TO PLAY FUTBOL. Also, you're right. America would have the advantage when it comes to American football. The US has more football coaches than any other country that plays the sport. And, sorry 59wayz, if the NBA can use the greatest players that ever lived to play B-Ball in the Olympics, then what would prevent the NFL from doing the same thing. Plus, if the NFL is expanding across the globe, then why would we wanna watch football in the off-season? So we can have a jacked up roster come pre-season? That's not gravy. The Vikings suck enough without the injuries--ouch! I just hurt my own feelings saying that, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 59wayz View Post
    True, but is there really anything wrong with helping it become a sport played worldwide?
    No, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but there are plenty of sports that are played--not frequently--across the globe. But not all of them are in the Olympics. You can have a worldwide sport and make it enjoyable without placing it in the Olympics. Still, if Curling can be a winter Olympic sport, anything can happen. LOL. (Who the hell finds pushing a giant hockey puck with a broom any fun?!)

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 59wayz View Post
    No, its just that it will take decaded before they could compete with the U.S

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Newbie 59wayz is off to a good start 59wayz's Avatar
    Thanks

once again, with the talent out there in the world I wouldn't be surprised to see America go down the second time American football is in the Olympics.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never really been interested by American football. I mean, like Atomik_sprout said . . . there's no rugby in the Olympics (and rugby is far more hardcore than American football). I think that the only true fans of American football are . . . you know, Americans . . . I could be wrong . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast