+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: American Overdose

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

American Overdose

Did you know that the U.S.A. has the highest number of legally drugged people, world wide?

Im still all groggy from taking my sleeping pill last night, and as I'm dosing off for a nap, with my eyes half shut... I hear an advertisement "Do you suffer from bad PMS? Well, what you THINK maybe PMS, may not be!"

*For those who don't know, PMS is (Pre-menstrual Symptoms). Its what happens to many woman before their cycle. They get irritable and emotional.

The advertisement continues..."You may be suffering from PMDD (Pre-menstrual Dysphoric Dissorder!"

For this, they offer drugs like Sarafem, or Premcal.

You mean to tell me, that the PMS I suffer from, and that my mother suffers from and her mother, and so on.... May actually be something serious enough for me to medicate myself over?

Well now, when I was a kid I was diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Dissaorder). I mean we all know young kids should always pay attention.

As a teen, it was ODD (Oppositional Defiant Dissorder). Apparently if Im a teen who dissobeys my parents, there MUST be something wrong with me.

If you have inconsistant eating habits, you may get constipated. Or have diaherria (sp?). Instead of adjusting your diet, lets just say you have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

And in a lazy society, im always laying down. But, theres something in my legs thats telling me I need to move. I must have RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome)!

Obviously I think all these dissorders, and illnesses are a bunch of hooplah. Just a fat paycheck to "the man". I also think there is some evil conspiracy to turn us all into mindless zombies. But thats just me.

What do you think? Do think these diseases are real? Do you condone popping a pill for anythig that a doctor tells you isn't normal?
    ... Not Ever Again...

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: American Overdose

I think to some point, these diseases can become harmful...

But for most people, they believe that they have all these diseases at once and they're very very sick! ...sadly, for most people, they just BELIEVE they have the disease, when they just have a small habit or just a random body action... in other words: They don't have the disease, they just think they do.

As for drugs? No, that's when it gets too serious.
    In most of those cases, a good amount of rest or a small amount of excercise could rid of these "diseases" almost immediately.
    ...as for personality "diseases", well, that can mostly disappear with age. If it doesn't, well, that'd still be up to you on how to cure it.

...besides, drugs aren't the only answer..... anything from physical treatments (certain excercises, massages) to herbal treatments or just changing diets or etc...

.........drugs don't heal everything, in fact, most times it either makes it worse or gives more problems. ...but to each their own, everyone has a different chemical balance.

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet you if you asked one person with restless leg syndrome who wasn't as inactive as all that they'd tell you ti was damn real.
    Theres one you left out that mot people think isn't real. Fibromyalgia. Generalized unexplained pain in soft tissue. Meaning any muscle joint or area of the body could be affected.
    I'm not treatednor diagnosed but my mom is diagnosed and untreated and I can tell you the headachs and muscle pain in my back shoulders and sometimes even legs is definate pain. And the achs and pains in muscles and joints are either left over from being so over weight or the fibromyalgia.
    I can attest to PMDD being a very real situation too. I've had horrible periods since I got mine. Heavy painful and sometimes even debilitating. But I've never seen anything like the day my mom and I had to go out to southdale to bring my sister something or other because she was in the bathroom at work crying and wouldn't leave. When we got there she was curled in the fetal position holding her stomach, laying on the floor in southdale mall in the bathroom. And we all know she's a germiphobe so she'd never have been on that floor if it weren't serious.
    There are however doctors over diagnosing such problems for one reason or another. And there are a number of people lying about their symptoms for one reason or another and that's the reason it seems as if these problems may just all be in someones head or a creation of a perscription happy doctor.

Newbie EijiAzurite is off to a good start EijiAzurite's Avatar
    Thanks

Well put it this way. American Drug Industry is one of the fastest and profitable industries in the United States. That is main reason why you would never see free health care like Canada.

To quote I found a article about the Truth about the Drug Companies "Prescription drug costs are indeed high—and rising fast. Americans now spend a staggering $200 billion a year on prescription drugs, and that figure is growing at a rate of about 12 percent a year." "Perhaps the most quoted source of statistics on the pharmaceutical industry, IMS Health, estimated total worldwide sales for prescription drugs to be about $400 billion in 2002. About half were in the United States. So the $200 billion colossus is really a $400 billion megacolossus."

What is up with that? The United States alone is half the profit of prescription drugs. That says right there that these industry in the United States is huge. If you spent just watching tv for just one hour I bet you could find at least one commercial that is trying to market some sort of drug. People bash President Bush on this but he is not the root cause for health care being as high as it is today. This has been going on for years and is climbing even more. What it comes down to is money. Money is the movement and devastation of this world and always has been. United States right now is just one of the worst if not the worst ones of them all.

If you would like to read the article how it is: The Truth About the Drug Companies - The New York Review of Books

Also it looks like the drug industry is expanding itself into bioethics as well. Read up: How the drug industry is branding itself with bioethics. - By Carl Elliott - Slate Magazine
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=60054&dateline=118231  2968

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    ...as for personality "diseases", well, that can mostly disappear with age. If it doesn't, well, that'd still be up to you on how to cure it.

...besides, drugs aren't the only answer..... anything from physical treatments (certain excercises, massages) to herbal treatments or just changing diets or etc...

.........drugs don't heal everything, in fact, most times it either makes it worse or gives more problems. ...but to each their own, everyone has a different chemical balance.
    I agree with you here. Most personality issues disappear with age. In it's very basic form borderline personality disorder is a description of teenage rebelion and irrationality. But for an adult to have these same issues is something more of a realistic problem.
    Drugs DEFINATELY aren't the answer in most cases, especially stomach problems or emotional/mental problems. Sometimes your body needs a little rebalancing yes but I don't believe in being medicated full time for something like depression. (they put me on pills when I was ELEVEN for depression. ignoring the fact that it might have been just transitional problems and probably all I really needed was reassurance from my mom about everything being okay in the end.) I don't think your body is that screwed up, it should be able to balance back out with a little push if that's what it takes. I personally am a big fan of therepy and alturnatives to medicines and stuff like that. Not to mention chemicals in general scare me..

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

No I totally think its all just mental, and someone's cashing out on the placebo's!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bratling View Post
    I can attest to PMDD being a very real situation too. I've had horrible periods since I got mine. Heavy painful and sometimes even debilitating. But I've never seen anything like the day my mom and I had to go out to southdale to bring my sister something or other because she was in the bathroom at work crying and wouldn't leave. When we got there she was curled in the fetal position holding her stomach, laying on the floor in southdale mall in the bathroom. And we all know she's a germiphobe so she'd never have been on that floor if it weren't serious.

doctor.
    PMDD does not address the physical symptoms of an actual mensrtuation. Rather, it is a dissorder that effects someone BEFORE the cycle. Y'know, when the emotional part comes to play.

As far as mestrual pain... I've had an ovarion syst the size of a softball, and had to remove both the syst and ovary. And, I have 2 kids, One was 8lbs 13oz, and the other 9 lbs 5 oz. Needless to say my cycles arent a walk in the park.

Aside from the actual delivery of my kids, I NEVER took the drugs prescribed... not for that anyway
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    No I totally think its all just mental, and someone's cashing out on the placebo's!
    They're far from placebos! Have you ever taken a kids ADD med? Or an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety? They'll get you high as hell if you don't have the right chemistry for them.

They prescribed my dad welbutrin for his depression once. And on his way home some kid on a bike was trying to race him onto the freeway. And disappeared as soon as he hit it. He won't take the welbutrin and he doesn't drive the freeway anymore.

Some of these problems are very real diseases for SOME PEOPLE but not as many as are being perscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    PMDD does not address the physical symptoms of an actual mensrtuation. Rather, it is a dissorder that effects someone BEFORE the cycle. Y'know, when the emotional part comes to play.

As far as mestrual pain... I've had an ovarion syst the size of a softball, and had to remove both the syst and ovary. And, I have 2 kids, One was 8lbs 13oz, and the other 9 lbs 5 oz.

Aside from the actual delivery of my kids, I NEVER took the drugs prescribed... not for that anyway
    I know what PMDD is. I don't believe she was on her period it was either before or after. And the problem is either PMDD or endromitriosis. PMDD isn't just an emoitonal thing. Maddy just got diagnosed with PMDD because she had pregnancy symptoms precluding her period every month. Nausia abdominal pain and vomiting bloating/water retention/weight gain and all that happy crap.
    No idea what a syst would do as far as pain but I can't imagine something that large unnaturally in your body could be comfortible anyways right?
    And jeeze...Labor had to have been fun! I'm personally glad I didn't see Noelle deliver.
    Last edited by gren; Jul 19, 2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: double post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast