+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous vs The Church of Scientology

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Anonymous vs The Church of Scientology

Today there were many peaceful picketings against Co$ worldwide. Raids were to take place in Japan, Australia, The United Kingdom, Denmark, France, Germany, Canada and in many cities of United States. The first raid started across Australia yesterday at 11 AM Australian time. Followed by today's protest in London, Denmark, France, New York, Detroit, Orlando, Ontario, etc.

What do you think about this worldwide protests against Co$, do you think that it will finally bring down Co$ to its knees? I personally think that its going to have some sort of impact on Co$, although given the fact that many celebrities are part of it they will fight back to stop anonymous from destroying them.

<link removed... encyclopedia dramatica is famous for misinformation, foul language and sexual images, and since anyone can edit it at any time: nothing from that site belongs here. Have a wikipedia link instead>
    Project Chanology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ps; I already talked to DB, he said that it was ok for me to start this thread. ^^
    Last edited by tsurara; Feb 10, 2008 at 08:48 PM.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anonymous vs The Church of Scientology

I would argue that promoting or celebrating an malicious (and illegal) act against anyone... much less one perpetrated anonymously toward a religious group that, for better or for worse, many people genuinely believe in and support is pretty ****ed up.

You wouldn't like it if a group or cause that you enjoyed or believed in was the victim of cyber attacks. Why the hell would you celebrate anyone else's misfortune?

"Heroes" don't generally feel the need to hide behind anonymity and brag about the cruel things they've done to others on the internet.

A "peaceful" protest doesn't involve Denial of Service attacks, prank calls and faxing death threats... nor is it generally perpetrated or documented "for the lulz"

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I would argue that promoting or celebrating an malicious (and illegal) act against anyone... much less one perpetrated anonymously toward a religious group that, for better or for worse, many people genuinely believe in and support is pretty ****ed up.

You wouldn't like it if a group or cause that you enjoyed or believed in was the victim of cyber attacks. Why the hell would you celebrate anyone else's misfortune?

"Heroes" don't generally feel the need to hide behind anonymity and brag about the cruel things they've done to others on the internet.

A "peaceful" protest doesn't involve Denial of Service attacks, prank calls and faxing death threats... nor is it generally perpetrated or documented "for the lulz"
    lulz i agree with you. But in order to get noticed by Co$ they had to resort to those tactics. I personally don't agree much with anonymous methods of getting attention, but at least they are doing something good for the community for once.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

That is, if you consider Scientology's right to free speech is a threat.

I don't.

I don't think they're going anything at all for the community besides being hypocritical. Scientology attempts to silence it's critics through legal action: so anonymous is going to protest by silencing Scientology through pranks, Denial of Service attacks and juvenile website edits?

How does that accomplish anything?

Scientologists has a right to be as crazy as they want to be. How is that a threat to the developed world as a whole? Personally, I think Christian and Islamic fundimentalists are just as insane and ~more~ of a drain on the rights of humanity: but if someone attacked them, everyone would clearly see it as religious persecution.

Unpopular opinions shouldn't be weeded out. They should be heard, processed and then ignored as the utter bullshit they are.

All this does is make Scientology look GOOD in comparison.

Thanks

Scientology attempts to silence it's critics through legal action:
    They harass their critics, they stalk them, they take pictures of them. They even hire private detectives to follow them everywhere just to silent them. What are they afraid of?

so anonymous is going to protest by silencing Scientology through pranks, Denial of Service attacks and juvenile website edits?

How does that accomplish anything?
    Anonymous is just doing pretty much what Co$ does to its critics. Its some sort of payback.

Scientologists has a right to be as crazy as they want to be. How is that a threat to the developed world as a whole? Personally, I think Christian and Islamic fundimentalists are just as insane and ~more~ of a drain on the rights of humanity: but if someone attacked them, everyone would clearly see it as religious persecution.
    Co$ for many people out there is not considered a religion, but a dangerous cult that would do anything to keep expanding. They even infiltrated the IRS for their own gains.

Unpopular opinions shouldn't be weeded out. They should be heard, processed and then ignored as the utter bullshit they are.

All this does is make Scientology look GOOD in comparison.
    If they would let people criticize their so called religion none of these would it be happening. It would be different.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Well so far ketaro seems to have did his homework, so I have nothing much to add. For once I am glad this "group" Anonymous is doing something good for once. And how do I determine what is good? When something is done and I favor it. And no Christianity and all the others are not the same. They don't make you pay to move up, they don't intimidate. Last time I check I was free to choose whether I want to wake up to go to service every Sunday.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

The Catholic church HAS made members pay for advancement, absolution, etc. It HAS extorted it's critics, murdered those it considered hethens, and has put people to death/imprisoned them for everything from witchcraft to heresy.

How do you think it became a major world religion? By sitting in church and being quiet and accepting of other faiths?

The Church continues to exert tremendous pressure on media groups, the press and politicians (through buyoffs, harrassment and intimidation).

The notion of a man walking on water or turning water to wine or someone making the universe in 7 days is no more ridiculous than the notion of alien spirits invading our bodies and requiring money and lie-detector tests to flush out that you may fight off the galactic warlord XENU.

The difference is this: it is now the year 2008. No one makes you believe what you believe. Scientologists aren't kidnapped, duct-taped to their chairs and tickled until they give the church money. Just like mormons aren't thrown over suited-young-men's shoulders and hauled off to compounds and never heard from again.

People have the right to make their own decisions about what they want to believe. Stamping out something you don't agree with because you think it's hurting the people who DO, isn't doing anyone any favors. If there are legitimate qualms against Scientology they need to be pursued in court and in the public sector by ex-members who have ACTUALLY been wronged by them.

Anon is just looking for something else to do while it's collectively living in it's mother's basement watching Lucky Star fansubs and eating 3 month-old cheesecurls.

A 16 year old hacking a website (an act of both harrassment and vandalization) accomplishes nothing but to give Scientology something LEGITIMATE to claim it's being pursecuted about. In a court of law: Scientology WOULD win this one, hands down. How is making them look "right" going to "stamp them off the face of the earth".
    Last edited by tsurara; Feb 11, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Well Scientology did not come up suddenly they have been around for a few decades now. And if you really want to compare Scientology with other religions, then okay at least have Co$ come up with some fake proof. The Shroud of Turin fake or not is at least some sort of "proof". Now where is Xenu's cape? Anyways, don't take this as me supporting anonymous.

For now I'll consider this as a semi-worldwide fad, and wait a few weeks/months before I jump to conclusions.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast