+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Imperialism causes war & suffering.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Anti-Imperialism causes war & suffering.

Sounds like an absurd statement? Think about it for a second.

In all of history there is one common thread. When a country becomes to weak to support and defend itself it falls to another country that is prepared to make use of it's resources and in the process restores order; wars that last for a few years resulting in a victor and a new citizenship. Think of it as mans version of natural selection. We need strong governments to thrive, weak governments can't defend themselves from both internal and external pressures, the strong government takes over; Imperialism.

So now we have today. A time in which Imperialism of all kinds is essentially forbidden. Borders have been set and cannot be changed without the permission of other countries. So what happens when a country becomes so weak it can no longer rule itself? They are sealed in their borders to "work things out for themselves", ie. kill each other, until someone walks out over the hill of bodies victorious. These internal wars last not for years but decades. In the meantime other stronger countries which in the past could have just walked in and imposed order are relegated to secretly funding (or not so secretly if you are the UN) money and arms (with which they kill more people) to whatever side they want to win.

So I ask you, is anti-Imperialism really the solution we all seem to think it is or has it just created more war & suffering in countries like, say... Rwanda, Darfur, etc, et?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anti-Imperialism causes war & suffering.

You make a good point but this goes over the head of most users of the site. And the ones who usually debate stuff like this don't post as often for some reason.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

What you're saying is basically 'survival of the fittest'.
    I didn't know you were a Darwin fan Arrianna.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    You make a good point but this goes over the head of most users of the site. And the ones who usually debate stuff like this don't post as often for some reason.
    And it seems like it also goes over your head shodokan, since you don't seem to be able to add any sort of opinion or comment on the subject at hand.

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

An interesting topic I think, and I'm not sure there's a definitive answer. Imperialism certainly causes more war and suffering than the current alternatives I think. I don't think anyone wants a situation where a larger nation can bully a smaller one around, and sort of impose its will that way. On the other hand, as has been said, these civil wars that result from anti-imperialism can last for years without conclusion. And perhaps the people in that country don't want outside help, which could be another potential problem I think.

Relating back to imperialism, I think there are issues going both ways, but I think anti-imperialism is more preferable. You're probably going to have conflicts either way, but the wars I think are on a far smaller scale when the stronger governments aren't intervening.(Captain Obvious has arrived!)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    What you're saying is basically 'survival of the fittest'.
    I didn't know you were a Darwin fan Arrianna.
    Hey, Darwin had some good concepts working for him. It isn't his fault they were co-opted for political purposes. As far as I am concerned if a government is to weak to defend the rights of it's citizens it deserves to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Relating back to imperialism, I think there are issues going both ways, but I think anti-imperialism is more preferable. You're probably going to have conflicts either way, but the wars I think are on a far smaller scale when the stronger governments aren't intervening.(Captain Obvious has arrived!)
    Yet the strongest Imperial governments all had one thing in common, an interest in the welfare of it citizens with anyone willing to play by the rules able to be an equal citizen. Alexander the Great, The Roman Empire, etc. The last Imperial government we had in our history didn't do that (*cough* England) and they were toppled from inside not outside.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Well first off i dont see a problem with imperialism. I would rather have a country fighting for say 2 years than for 20. And if the time comes for a new leader or government to come into place then go ahead.
    Of course if the UN had stepped in sooner for the war in Darfur and Rwanda i honestly believe that they wouldn't be having the war.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Ehh, I actually see Imperialism helpful, I mean if a country is too weak to rule itself and is falling apart, that stronger Country is doing it a favor by giving it a government, order, etc. But like Hassun said "Survival of the fittest" and I'm all for that (Though I'm not too big on Darwin). Anywho to me, humanity and human nature (which brings out anti-imperialism, and anti other things x.X) are the cause of war and suffering...ehh my penny has been pput in.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

So I ask you, is anti-Imperialism really the solution we all seem to think it is or has it just created more war & suffering in countries like, say... Rwanda, Darfur, etc, et?
    Its sad to say but it seems like the world would have been better if we had just let imperialism keep going on. I mean honestly not having it isn't helping anyone, especially those weak countries that supposedly need to work out their own problems. It just doesn't work. Its almost like the big brother system. When you're too little to take care of yourself let someone else, who albeit bosses you around, take care of you. It makes perefect sense to me. But what do I know? I'm just a teenager.

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast