+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are anti-smoking commercials becoming too graphic?

Newbie Nocturne is off to a good start Nocturne's Avatar
    Hidin' in your windows, snatchn' your people up.
    Thanks

Are anti-smoking commercials becoming too graphic?

When the anti-smoking commercials initially started they passed the message in the most polite way as possible. However, now it seems the commercials' intent is to scare and disturb the viewer. More importantly, the graphic images are too much: dying cancer patients, children crying and grotesque organs.

I'm at the point where the graphic ones should be banned from television all together. While it is reality, it is not fair to those who have lost a love one to lung cancer. I was watching the TV with my boyfriend today, and there was an anti-smoking ad. The end of the commercial had a cancer patient, near death, in a whispering voice saying how he messed up.This was during the day on public television, young children were most definitely subjected to this.
    Unfortunately, my mother is currently dying from lung cancer and maybe has a week left.I burst into tears from that commercial, I feel now when I watch public TV I'll be reminded at least several times a day how my mother died.

I feel the anti-smoking ads are very important to help others, but they should not be as graphic as possible to scare the viewers.

Thoughts? Feelings?

Orochimaru Fangirl ♥ | MMO Junkie

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are anti-smoking commercials becoming too graphic?

well first let me say sorry about your mother,
    but as you said it is reality and the reality is that if it takes these comertials to get people to stop then they should be a norm.
    As you say "it is not fair to those who have lost a love one to lung cancer." could you also make a debate that any number of war-crime shows should not be shown on telivision so that people affected by it do not have to be reminded? (its part of life and we have to deal with it, not ignore it...)
    I think that these ads help people more then they harm them.
    "While it is reality, it is not fair to those who have lost a love one to lung cancer." (example) it is not also fair to have a family member killed by a dog, then watch a comertial about saving human killing dogs from being put-down
    "This was during the day on public television, young children were most definitely subjected to this."
    would young children would not be watching the channles they play these comertials on? I'm not sure compleatly but i think this to be the case...
    death and life are one and the same

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Dun know about you, but canadians have been living with gruesome ads on Cigarette packaging for years

And no, they don't work, people who want to smoke will still smoke, regardless of whats printed on the package.

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

"And no, they don't work, people who want to smoke will still smoke, regardless of whats printed on the package."
    but its better than saying/printing nothing...
    (it might not affect people who allready are smoking but maybe deter the younger generations...)
    death and life are one and the same

Newbie Nocturne is off to a good start Nocturne's Avatar
    Hidin' in your windows, snatchn' your people up.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    well first let me say sorry about your mother,
    but as you said it is reality and the reality is that if it takes these comertials to get people to stop then they should be a norm.
    As you say "it is not fair to those who have lost a love one to lung cancer." could you also make a debate that any number of war-crime shows should not be shown on telivision so that people affected by it do not have to be reminded? (its part of life and we have to deal with it, not ignore it...)
    I think that these ads help people more then they harm them.
    "While it is reality, it is not fair to those who have lost a love one to lung cancer." (example) it is not also fair to have a family member killed by a dog, then watch a comertial about saving human killing dogs from being put-down
    "This was during the day on public television, young children were most definitely subjected to this."
    would young children would not be watching the channles they play these comertials on? I'm not sure compleatly but i think this to be the case...
    Thank you, it's a rough patch, but I need to accept it. ^^;

My main concern is that what the commercials are showing are things that TV shows would be rated for teenagers to adult level. There is also no warning that these images will be graphic.

I admit, I got upset over the situation and said they should be banned. I'll take that statement back because they are important and needed. However, it needs to be regulated. These attempts throw disturbing images, and dying, suffering people. There was an effective one with a man who spoke trough a tube. The commercial eventually proceed to show clips of him taking a cotton swab , shoving it in the hole in his throat and taking a slimy substance out. This could have been deleted because many people can not stomach this and were not warned that there was such a grotesque image in that commercial. It would still be as effective without that scene.

This anti-smoking commercial is effective, while heartbreaking to watch it throws reality at the viewer without showing inappropriate images.
    Last edited by Nocturne; Nov 23, 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Orochimaru Fangirl ♥ | MMO Junkie

Newbie sodapop35 is off to a good start
    Thanks

I think the meth commercials are worse. They all are like "If you do meth you will become ugly, self-mutilating and a prostitute"

+ Reply to Thread