+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Arming teachers?

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Arming teachers?

Lately there have been a lot of school shootings, I believe around three have occured in about the last three weeks, and a suggestion has been made that we should arm teachers to defend against these attackers. With all these shootings going on would it be a wise decisions to arm teachers with guns? I think not; I believe there is a more effective and practical method to prevent school shootings rather than arming teachers. For one arming teachers would create even more hostilities between students and teachers, with the students knowing that a teacher would literally shoot them dead. It would create a major distrust and resentment issue. The more "effective" method, albeit a longer more detailed one, would be to go to the source; the students. Schools should offer more counseling and less stressful school situations (i.e. classes, peer harassment and bullying) rather than telling teachers they should simply shoot the kids dead.

What do you think is the better option?
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Oct 13, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks
    i think an option should be for teachers to have teflon vest's for protection and maybe a tazer if that could be arpoved ,because untill the teachers take a stand letting the kids know its not tollrated thwy will just keep being more bold like with these school shooting these past few weeks
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Otaku Laharl ex may be famous one day Laharl ex may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I can just picture many teachers being 'armed.' It has serious potential to cause more problems. If it has anything with the school systems budget, I'd expect it to be costly. To me, parents, culture, and having both parents going to work to be something to be more focused on.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HolderOfTheDarkChalice View Post
    i think an option should be for teachers to have teflon vest's for protection and maybe a tazer if that could be arpoved ,because untill the teachers take a stand letting the kids know its not tollrated thwy will just keep being more bold like with these school shooting these past few weeks
    DIdn't that happen recently when a teacher tazed one of his students because that same student tripped another student the day before?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think arming a teacher would make things any better, I think it might make the situation worse. All that needs to happen is the teacher is in a peeved off mood, or has issues at home and he takes it out on the student with a gun, hypothectical, but possible.

If the teacher are that paranoid, just wear a bullet proof vest like laharl mentioned. Maybe they should focus more on the students - like why they feel the need to bring a gun into the school, why not deal with the issues that they face everyday , that would have a better long term positive effect.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's not attacking the problem by giving the teachers guns.

It's the same thing ooover and ooover again, no one wants to take blame for what happens, so everyone tries to shift the problem to something else. "Oh...kids shoot up schools, so it must be caused by videogames, music, televison, movies, and every other form of entertainment possible. Yeah, that's what causes it." Er...no...I'm sorry, but if your kid shoots up a school, that's lousy parenting. It's not the fact that the kid shot up a school, it's because the parents didn't see it coming. If you don't know that your kid owns 20 handguns, you have real parenting issues.

And now, with people saying "give teachers guns," it doesn't solve the problem either. First question you should be asking is "how are the kids getting these guns?" Hm....could it possibly be because they are so easy to purchase, and are easily accessable even through illegal means? No....that couldn't be it....not at all. And you can't complain about it because the NRA will make a big stink and start misquoting the constitution.

So then the only action to take is to give teachers guns.....yay...smart move....because obviously, if these kids can figure how to get the guns by illegal means, it'll probably take them two seconds to figure out how to open the gun lock in the classroom. Real smooth.

If you're going to go through the trouble of giving the teachers guns, getting bullet proof vests and whatnot, here's a better solution: Let the military take over education. Have schools in military bases, run by military teachers, because it'll be a helluva lot safer. Chances are no one is going to pull a gun when a military platoon is marching outside.

Teachers are NOT law enforcement. They are not trained to use firearms, or to use lethal force when required. If you give them guns, and the ability to shoot and detain people, you then have a police force, and teachers are not the police. You'd save money by just having a swat team run the school.

If an arsonist was buring down houses in the neighborhood, you wouldn't give everyone else gasoline and matches. If someone was going around in a car doing hit-and-runs, you wouldn't give everyone else a car. If someone was going around robbing houses, you wouldn't give everyone else a crowbar. Just because some idiot is going around shooting people does NOT mean the answer is giving everyone else a gun. There is a bigger issue at hand, and that does not solve it in any way, shape or form. "Oh...teachers have guns......well, I know who to shoot first now."

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Otaku Kaijudozero may be famous one day Kaijudozero may be famous one day
    Thanks
    im a senior at my high school and ima tell that
    it is not a good idea for teachers to be armed!!
    we have some really disrespectfull KIDS
    who really "P" our teachers off and any teacher
    can snap at any moment!!!
    BAD IDEA
    Emotions tend to lose their strength when put in words, So I prefer to speak only what is absolutely necessary..

Kaijudozero.deviantart.com

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks
    Arm the school building instead with guns, like they flip out from the ceiling when an intruder gets in with picture recognization feature so it would only shoot the intruder. Awesome.

Or...

Kids shooting usually have problems so better social assistant would be good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast