+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Arming teachers?

Newbie ordinateur may be famous one day ordinateur may be famous one day ordinateur's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Arming teachers?

I don't think that arming teachers is a good idea. It would actually scare the students and those who usually disrespect the school rules might ... get on the nerves of the teacher and I guess you all know the rest...
    Born to live, living to die..

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

You know, I think alot of you are missing one thing. They are not talking about handing gunds out to teachers. They are talking about allowing teachers who are willing to jump through specific, very strict, hoops and recieve liscencing to bring their own guns.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

they should not bew allowed to do it point blank. they might misuse there authority and it is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. and plus what is smart, letting the students fight and shoot and stay there, or get ya ass out the way!!! besides, they might see a student get up just to throw something away and they might feel threatened and shoot.

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by princesslady View Post
    they should not bew allowed to do it point blank. they might misuse there authority and it is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. and plus what is smart, letting the students fight and shoot and stay there, or get ya ass out the way!!! besides, they might see a student get up just to throw something away and they might feel threatened and shoot.
    Princess, with all due respect, this is a poor argument.

If we can't trust teachers who have gone thorugh all the trouble and legal technicalities to get a gun...then why should we trust the police who are issued guns too? Should we take guns away from them? They have just as much potential to abuse the handgun under the same reasons. Are you for disarming police too?

For the teacher to conseal that firearm requires permission from the state. And it's quite the requirement;

Applicant must be 21 years of age or older

Applicant must be a law-abiding citizen of good character

Applicant has not been convicted of a felony

Applicant has not been convicted of any crime of violence

Applicant has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol (If it was more than 5 years ago, you may qualify for the permit.)

Applicant has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of drugs or other controlled substances (If it was a misdemeanor more than 10 to 15 years ago, you may still qualify for the permit.)

Applicant has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude

Applicant has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence

Applicant has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed.

Applicant must perform a handgun safety handling session before a Utah CCW instructor unless the student as at least one of the following:

* Certificate from NRA Basic Pistol course
    * Law enforcement experience
    * Certification as an NRA Firearms Instructor
    * Handgun training in military service
    This is from the CCW Permit Applications Rules for the state of Utah. A CCW from Utah is also good in the following states:

* Alabama
    * Alaska
    * Arizona
    * Arkansas
    * Colorado
    * Delaware
    * Florida
    * Georgia

* Idaho
    * Indiana
    * Kentucky
    * Louisiana
    * Minnesota
    * Mississippi
    * Missouri
    * Montana

* New Mexico
    * North Carolina
    * North Dakota
    * Ohio
    * Oklahoma
    * Pennsylvania
    * South Dakota

* Tennessee
    * Texas
    * Utah
    * Vermont
    * Virginia
    * Washington
    * Wyoming

So, 31 states feel that this list pretty much guarentees that you are a good enough person to have a concealed weapons permit. As you can see, this list shows what a responsible person's record would have to be like. Again, no school shootings have happened in Utah for 11 years (since they allowed teachers concealed weapons in the classroom). Are you seriously telling me that someone with this clean of a record is the type to "misuse athority"?

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I disagree with this idea and I have a few reasons. With a gun in the classroom, it is much more easier for students to get a hold of a weapon and start shooting people. We have seen from the last few incidences at school that this can definitely happen. Also, no offense to teachers but there are some crazy ones out there and some are liable to shoot some kids. I mean come on, everyone has met the teacher that really should not be a teacher because they hate all children. Also, there are the sweet and scatterbrained teachers. I love my chorus teacher because she is the biggest sweetheart in the world but I can't honostly see her shooting someone. I think arming teachers would be more of a liability rather then a help.

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post
    Lately there have been a lot of school shootings, I believe around three have occured in about the last three weeks, and a suggestion has been made that we should arm teachers to defend against these attackers. With all these shootings going on would it be a wise decisions to arm teachers with guns? I think not; I believe there is a more effective and practical method to prevent school shootings rather than arming teachers. For one arming teachers would create even more hostilities between students and teachers, with the students knowing that a teacher would literally shoot them dead. It would create a major distrust and resentment issue. The more "effective" method, albeit a longer more detailed one, would be to go to the source; the students. Schools should offer more counseling and less stressful school situations (i.e. classes, peer harassment and bullying) rather than telling teachers they should simply shoot the kids dead.

What do you think is the better option?
    Even if you offer counseling, that won't stop bullying. Even after Kip Kinkle gunned down those people who messed with him, the survivors mocked him.

You want to avoid this situation entirely? The only option is to LET the victims of bullies fight back. No, I DON'T mean arming them with guns and letting them shoot the other students. What I'm talking about is just telling the teachers to look the other way when Johnny Student, a known victim, just happens to beat the crap out of Joe Troublemaker, the campus bully.

But even letting the students fight back against their oppressors is not going to change the nature of the game at this stage. When it comes down to it, the police can't do anything, because they have an average response time of 30-45 minutes, which in the case of any violent crime, is often too late. At least letting the teachers go around campus packing, and giving the students the right to use whatever means necessary to fight back against a physical threat, there will be less body bags to fill at the end of the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6