+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art or Not Art?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Art or Not Art?

I have been having a "discussion" lately with another dancer about how the general public see the performing arts so I thought I would create a poll on the subject and collect others opinions of the subject. So here is my poll of three questions, please answer them and then feel free to add any other comments you wish (this is a discussion forum after all). Please do not try and spare my or anyone's feelings; I need you to brutally honest in order for me to know exactly how these things are really thought of.

1. Do you consider the following to be; Fine Art (FA), Art (A), or Not Art (NA):
    A.Ballet
    B.Modern Dance
    C.Ballroom Dance
    D.Latin Dance
    E.Bellydance
    F.Burlesque
    G.Pole Dance

2. Do you consider a style that is performed primarily in the below locations to be; Fine Art (FA), Art (A), or Not Art (NA):
    A.TV
    B.Stage
    C.Community Fair
    D.Restaurant
    E.Night Club
    F.Weddings
    G. Private Parties

3. What do you consider a performer to be on a scale of 1 (absolute amateur) to 10 (top professional) if they perform primarily at the below locations:
    A.TV
    B.Stage
    C.Community Fair
    D.Restaurant
    E.Night Club
    F.Weddings
    G. Private Parties

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

!beast (Feb 12, 2010)

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Art or Not Art?

for the first selctions i would say
    A.Ballet
    B.Modern Dance
    C.Ballroom Dance
    D.Latin Dance
    E.Bellydance
    F.Burlesque
    G.Pole Dance

i think A, and B fine art because there pretty much the only 2 dances that you would
    really find intrepretation defined in movements . C would be dancing but not an art because i think its just a formal way of dancing nothing artistic about it. D through G arnt art because its more entertainment and there is no real statement in the movements
    though thats jsut my opinon.

For the 2and section i would say
    A.TV
    B.Stage
    C.Community Fair
    D.Restaurant
    E.Night Club
    F.Weddings
    G. Private Part

B being art since there are diffrent types of preformances that can be used to make a statement though it is rarly seen or talked about any more though this is jsut what i think. A,C though G arent art at all tv not being art becuase all it does is display pcitures and i dont see how showing pictures can be called art unless there being dispalyed in a museum or art show. the fair isnt a aplce you would find art unless you are looking for people who tatoo themselves which isnt exactly a form of art.

And for the 3rd section i would say
    A.TV -3
    B.Stage 10
    C.Community Fair 4
    D.Restaurant - 1
    E.Night Club 3
    F.Weddings 4
    G. Private Parties 3

call me wierd but i dont see art in a lot of things unless there on a stage or in a museum
    or art show but this is what i think of the choices though.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Do you consider the following to be; Fine Art (FA), Art (A), or Not Art (NA):

]A. Ballet A
    B.Modern Dance A
    C.Ballroom Dance A
    D.Latin Dance A
    E.Belly Dance A
    F.Burlesque NA
    G.Pole Dance NA

2. Do you consider a style that is performed primarily in the below locations to be; Fine Art (FA), Art (A), or Not Art (NA):

A.TV A
    B.Stage A
    C.Community Fair NA
    D.Restaraunt A
    E. night Club NA
    F. Weddings NA
    G. Private Parties NA

3. What do you consider a performer to be on a scale of 1 (absolute amateur) to 10 (top professional) if they perform primarily at the below locations:

A.TV 10
    B.Stage10
    C.Community Fair3
    D.Restaurant1
    E.Night Club1
    F.Weddings4
    G. Private Parties 3

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a firm believer that art is what ever the artist wants it to be, and is also in the eye of beholder.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that art is what ever the artist wants it to be, and is also in the eye of beholder.
    Agreed. When you're an artist it's hard to judge things as 'Art' and 'Not Art', simply because anything can be considered art.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, but the question isn't what the artist thinks but what your eye personally beholds.

Thanks for the answers so far, it's been fascinating!

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to tell you what my eye personally beholds.. my problem is that I can't tell you what I believe is\or isn't art based on the categories you gave me.

I mean.... some of them have some pretty clear cut answers in my mind (obviously art). While others, I couldn't just tell you they weren't art, because it would be based on circumstances.

For example, I have been to clubs, where the performances were spoken word performed aside a visual artist doing an improvised painting during the reading of the spoken word. That, to me, was FINE art.

I guess what I am saying is... it all depends on the approach.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Could any of you be so kind as to explain to me what most people mean when they say are and fine art. What is the difference? Philosophically I know many of you have just stated that art is a loose term that could apply to anything but if you had to give me an example of an art verses a fine art what would illistrate that? Keep in mind i am not nor have ever been an artist of any sort.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast