+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arts in Education

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Arts in Education

For the past few years, the arts have been removed from schools here in Minneapolis due to budget cuts. I'm sure the same thing has been happening elsewhere in the country. I feel like visual art, performance art and music are very important in education. I speak with my mother who is a teacher at a school that focuses on the arts about this regularly and she agrees with me that art keeps students interested in learning and keeps them engaged in the curriculum. If we pull art out of our schools permanently, our kids have no creative voice to express themselves with. Unless they're the "lucky" kids who are born with artistic talent and need little to no formal training until college. If we spoke against these "budget cuts" (most are for saving states money for things outside of the school distcricts; IE: new stadiums, malls, fattening politicians' wallets, etc.), we'd have more control over what we--or our kids--learned in school.

What do you all think? Are the arts important in our educational institutions? Or, are they not worth spending the school budget on? Why (or why not)?

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Arts in Education

I do agree with keeping arts in school and that the government is wrong for cutting them out jus' to save money. Yet that's the government for ya, they cut out what's important in order to keep what's not. Pork and other unimportant things are all the government cares about, that and lining their pockets. Not all ppl who run our government are that way, but a good portion are, but we can still change it. We're not to the point yet where our voices won' make a difference, so I say speak up now to the ones who run our government and tell them enough is enough and stop making cuts in places that we need and make cuts where they'll matter.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Even sadder still: Most people are either oblivious to it, or they just don't care. So, the people who DO voice their opinions are a small fraction of the population.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah yes, the "silent majority," or as I like to refer to them as; "Deer." They notice, atomik, and they do care; they're jus' too busy standing around looking at one another wondering if someone is gonna do something to actually do something themselves. That's one of the reasons why the "silent majority" are "silent." They're always so sure that someone else will handle it, 'til it's too late, then they rant or ask "how could this happen?" And they never realize that it happened because they let it, little do we humans realize that even though we possess rational thought; we're still are driven by basic instinct. Herd animals don' behave much different, the fewer beings there are, inna situation, the more inclined they are to act. Same with humans, the fewer ppl there are on an issue, the louder our voices get. And it's partially because the reasoning I've jus' listed.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Mage For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Apr 28, 2011)

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

education should be free and should never be limited. this so called "budget cuts" is ridiculous, they are more concerned what the schools image rather than the students. first is arts, then math, science, history, etc. because if you can remove one, then you can remove others.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Newbie rilakkuma is off to a good start rilakkuma's Avatar
    Thanks

my best friend lives for music.if it was cut he would be miserable and i cant stand for my friends to be unhappy.i would fight to keep in the arts at all schools.i am in band on the clarinet,ill be in chorus next year an alto,and the thing that i live for is visual art.it means everything to me.i dont know what id do with out it.its a way to express yourself when words arent enough.
    Last edited by rilakkuma; May 03, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
    ※∞※de nihilo nihil※∞※
    do not conform to this world

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    education should be free and should never be limited. this so called "budget cuts" is ridiculous, they are more concerned what the schools image rather than the students. first is arts, then math, science, history, etc. because if you can remove one, then you can remove others.
    Actually, the budget cuts have nothing to do with the school's image. In fact, a lot of schools end up shutting down after so many budget cuts (we've lost quite a few good schools in the last few years). Usually--at least here in MN--the school district faces budget cuts because the state wants a new stadium or arts are removed from the budget to support athletics. No other academic field gets much funding any more either. But, usually, the arts are the first thing to go.

Newbie Moose is off to a good start Moose's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell yeah, arts important, sadly my school no longer has art. Being the artist that i am, i am quite pissed. They really need to do something about that.

Death is as generation is, a composition of like elements, and a decompostion into the same.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Apr 29, 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast