Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Atheists, can you live with them?

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Atheists, can you live with them?

I could live with one, provided she isn't obnoxious and "evangelical" (yes, that's the word, for a "non-religion" paradoxically is a religion) regarding her atheism. Having an atheist for a roommate can make for fulfilling conversation, and perhaps a lasting friendship.

And no, nothing short of the absolutely-certain-and-proved-time-and-again-to-be-undeniably-true non-existence of God would make me lose my faith. Atheists still have not debunked that which they call an ancient "claim" once and for all... and I don't expect them to. Ever.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

TEN ANSWERS?? You're askin' for a lot, LOL. I'll give ya a few...
    ok diffrent statment from the first question to clear some things up...
    3.) give (mybe) lets say 3 responses to the question sound good?
    1.) and I do not really mean "can" you live with athiests but do you acept them for who they are and what they think about this world....

and here is a thing I have heard before (in basic terms): religon is just words to mask ones true fealings. (but not meaning that all people that are religous are masking themselfs but instead that people who are not are masking themselfs from others with religon)

- and the seound new question to you people of AO what do you think of this qoute (not the exsact wording... >.<): "One can make heaven out of hell and hell out of heaven."
    death and life are one and the same

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

The quote you're thinking of is from john milton: "the mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven." It's not to be taken literally it's an analogy. It basically means that we can take a bad situation and derive good out of it, and vice versa. The only clear cut example I can think of is sex:

It is considered adultery to have premartial sex, however the act of sex itself can make that experience feel like a good one. (heavenly.)

On the other hand, two people that are wed might not feel sexually stimulated even though they love each other. Therefore they've made the ideal situation; sharing sexual intimacy with a wedded loved one, into a virtual hell; we have sex, but I don't feel the love I felt the first time or when we were younger.

That is the meaning behind your quote. People use heaven and hell to compare very black and white aspects of life all the time, but when people say earth and living on it itself is hell or heaven, I think they are greatly undermining the true state of both heaven, and hell.

Newbie Lestat Uchiha is off to a good start Lestat Uchiha's Avatar
    Thanks

well..it depends on the person, my grandpa's atheist, and my friends dad's atheist. my grandpa is also rascist and pushes his ideas on every one. my friends dad is cool with his own belief but doesnt force any one else to thik what he does.
    Mushroom Cloud Laying MotherFudger

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...Ezekiel 25:17

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    1.) and I do not really mean "can" you live with athiests but do you acept them for who they are and what they think about this world....
    See now that is the funny thing. When I discuss religion with atheists and they are open minded and respectful I inevitably discover they are actually agnostics and just didn't know what that was. It's the ones who are insulting and aggressive who turn out to be the full fledged atheists. Why does that matter to the question? Because I have no problem accepting them but very few true atheists have been willing to accept me and in fact often feel threatened by my personal belief.

Mind you if you want to see a rabid atheist (or a rabid theist for that matter) foam at the mouth just inform them that your religious beliefs are just as valid as theirs are since both are based entirely on faith. Not necessarily nice but a true test of both sides tolerance. If they are tolerant they have to admit that my beliefs are valid just as I accept theirs to be. I have yet to have one do it.

So I guess your answer is I would have no problem living with atheists but they don't seem to feel the same way.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

anime_being_god (Oct 16, 2008), basilisk888 (Oct 16, 2008)

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally i would enjoy having an atheist around, as it would give me a person to talk to about their description of an afterlife, or lack there of. Since there really is no proof about what happens when you die, i wouldnt mind having a different viewpoint than my own because i am intensely curious as to what death is like.
    Why hello there!

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

as long they are respectful, they are just find with me. i really hate people who are disrespectful, so uncivilized.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Otaku LostbutFound may be famous one day LostbutFound may be famous one day LostbutFound's Avatar
    Thanks

ive been an atheist for several years and ppl have attacked me about it and even threatened my life and some of these ppl were my highschool teachers. if the subject never comes up then its not discussed but alotta times ppl have this weird mis-conception that were god hating ppl and thats not it we just discredit the religios theories
    Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast