View Poll Results: Was using the atomic bomb the right thing to do?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 37.21%
  • No

27 62.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

Hello, members of paradise! I have a very tough question. (Or at least in my opinion it is) Was it right for the atomic bomb to be used as and end to World War II? If we had not used it, how could it have changed the outcome of the war? Do you think how we live today would be any different?

I have very mixed feelings on the matter. The atomic bomb did put a complete halt to the war. But I wonder, could we have found another way to end the war? Would we still have to worry about the chances of a nuclear war? I guess when it comes to war we should expect to lose lives and I know the US probably did it to save lives at the same time. If we had not used it, the war would probably have lasted longer and in the long run we would have lost more lives. So, I suppose it was the right decision. If it had not been the US to discover the atomic bomb then it would have been someone else. Actually, Germany was coming up with a bomb at around the same time with similar effects as the atomic bomb.

Anyway, what are your opinions on this?

Otaku Space Runner Champion HibikiLink may be famous one day HibikiLink may be famous one day HibikiLink's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

I belive that it was a bad thing, cause it was an attack that took out thousands of innocent people who had nothing to do with the war. I mean Japan did make the first move by attacking pearl harbour and granted they took plent aswell but those us soldiers are trained for this and need to expect death when war is occuring. America I guess wanted to end it in one straight hit showing they are a force to be reconed with. Had they not dropped the bomb the war could have continued on for much longer effecting relations today. I can't think of anything more to say

Thanks alot Sasurihell and Kedar for the sigs and thanks Sammy 65 for the changing pics
    http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1...icsclanhf5.gif[x/img]
    (just remove the "x" from the [x/img] tag!

Newbie Alec may be famous one day Alec may be famous one day Alec's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think the atomic bomb should have been used to end WWII. The people the U.S. threw the bomb on were still debating on surrender. I think the bomb was only used to prove the U.S. was a superpower and the president at the time had an ichy trigger finger. (Sorry if I offend anyone). If they didn't used the bomb, yes maybe more people would have been killed. But because they did, more people, including thousands of civilians were killed.

Not sure how people would live if the bomb was never used. I know I wouldn't feel angry.

The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

we were winning the war anyway
    dropping the atomic bomb was simply overkill and was completely unnecessary
    blame Truman for deciding to show off to the Japanese and the world how powerful we are
    many innocent lives were lost and mutilated in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    future generations would be scarred by the aftereffects of radiation exposure

but I suppose there is a plus in the dropping of the atomic bomb
    after the Americans occupied the Japanese and helped them rebuild, they also shared their technology and as the decades went by, the Japanese improved that technology and basically took over the world with their samurai sense of perfection, perfecting things such as computers, TVs, video games, and other things
    making them better than they were before
    but perhaps these series of events could've happened without the dropping of 'Fat Man' and 'Little Boy'
    the Japanese were just about to surrender...
    it's amazing how barbaric Amercans, humans for that matter, are
    simply amazing
    Last edited by Innerhell; Apr 10, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
    I love my girlfriend.

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, I know what you all mean. It just doesn't seem right that they used that method to end the war. It just isn't right to involve civilians in a war.

One of my teachers told me that they sent airplanes to drop messages that said in Japanese that they were going to drop the bomb and that they needed to evacuate the area.

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate the whole thing. The war would have ended a different way if the American's didn't use the bomb. I think. I mean did you see what they did to pearl Habor. I don't think we should use then, but we are just using them to tempt oneother. Who ever goes first. Then all the nation will do it. It's only the matter of time, before thins go wrong. If the bomb never went off the first time. There would stll be a chance of bombs going off. Humans are not strong.. so they make things that are. That's just how we work. I hope this made sence.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Newbie Alec may be famous one day Alec may be famous one day Alec's Avatar
    Thanks

good point, K. Even if the bomb was never used, there would still be a chance later on.

The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks

for me..... I would have dropped it....
    here is a little backgorund..... US got deeper and deeper in Japans territory they saw that Japan wouldnt surrender, under any conditions..... japanese soldiers were given specific orders: "defend your position with your life", plus japanese citizens were told that american soldiers did brutal things in the towns they captured... so a long term war against japan wouldnt mean only defeating the army... but in the tonws the citizens, which would have costed thousands of lifes....
    the basic idea was to show Japan what would an Atomic bomb do... but they realiced that Japan wouldn surrender so there was no choice left that to use it....
    I guess I would have use it... I would prefer to drop the bomb, even if the world later hated me, than to see thousands of my fellow country men dead and know I could have prevented that....
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast