View Poll Results: Was using the atomic bomb the right thing to do?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 37.21%
  • No

27 62.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

It was a good thing, it ended the war quicker and less Japanese were lost in any given atomic bomb drop than were lost in our firebombings. When we firebombed Tokyo over 100,000 people were baked to death in under three hours.

Also, had the war gone on any further, many of the people who had fought for nearly 2 years in Europe and thought they were about to go home would have been shipped to Japan to fight more, it would have been horrid for them all.
    Last edited by frr_Vegeta; Apr 11, 2006 at 01:17 PM.

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dark angel swordsman
    but i'd rather be alive than dead anyday.
    Because it's not like any of the people that were killed by the bomb in Japan felt that way. Isn't that kind of a selfish thing to say? That's like saying that your life is more important than their's.

What about all the women and children who weren't even part of the fighting? Why is it right that they died? Just like the war in Iraq in today's current events. There are people that agree with it, and people that don't. How do you make a bomb that can tell the difference between the 2, and doll out death to only the people that want to fight? Why should innocent people have to die because some people want to fight?
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Newbie Dark-Shadow-Dancer may be famous one day Dark-Shadow-Dancer may be famous one day Dark-Shadow-Dancer's Avatar
    Thanks

my teacher told me that harry s truman decided to use the bomb because it would reduce the lose of american lives. He said that our lives were more important in the sense. I was enraged was my teacher telling me that because we were americans our lives meant more! I asked him and he paused....knowing i loved japan....a tear came to his eye and all he said was, i guess so. Then my class mate piped up with, "Ya those japs, they deserved it" I turned to him and said, " was it the same in the holocaust that the germans felt they were better and their lives were more important? Are you saying we are no better than the nazis?" The room at this point was very silent......One japanese girl in my class had been crying and she stood up and apuladed. I guess this is the kind of thing you face when in the midwest....so close minded
    let me soak up your idiocy like a spounge..tingly tingly tingly!
    I tried to keep an open mind but my brains kept falling out.....

this sig is thanks to bloodhawk, you rule man!
    92% of teens moved to rap. if u are part of the 8% that rock out every day, put this on your sig!!!!

im a ninja-u cant c me bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk's Avatar
    Thanks

O Hell No. Not At All. Niver Whould That Thing Be Created.

IM BACK

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Shadow-Dancer
    Then my class mate piped up with, "Ya those japs, they deserved it" I turned to him and said, " was it the same in the holocaust that the germans felt they were better and their lives were more important? Are you saying we are no better than the nazis?"
    See, not only do you have good stories to prove your points, but you're a better person than me, too! You managed to come up with a verbal example! I would have just smacked the guy.

Seriously though, kudos for what you did.
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Newbie RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel that atomic weapons are horrable devices, but I do happen to support their use in the war. They helped to bring a war to its conclusion. I don't think it's a issue of what's right or wrong. There was the real possibility that more japanese lives could've been lost in a ground campaign than were lost due to the bombs. War is not about trying not to hurt peoples feeling. It's about doing what needs to be done to assure victory. Was it a good thing that they may have saved more lives than a ground war? No, of course not. I'm not looking to put this back on the japanese, but didn't they start it in the first place? I know that sounds sorta mean and narrow minded, but it is what it is. Politics aside these weapons suck as did their usage. I'm not trying to excuse its use, just trying to explain it. After all, Is there really any good excuse for war?

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death" - Dave Barry
    "There's no such thing as too much power, just too little traction" - Me
    "I love sleep. It's the one place I'm safe from life and all the saddness it brings."

Thanks

Yes, it's true that more lives might have been lost in a ground war, but the a-bomb turned it from a might to a definately.

Besides, in a ground war, lives lost would have been more solider than civilian. I think one of the major sub-sections of the "should we have dropped it" issue is the concern over all the loss of innocent civilian lives.

And the Japanese didn't start the war, they just joined it, like we did, but on the other side.
    ~ ~

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RacerOtaku
    I feel that atomic weapons are horrable devices, but I do happen to support their use in the war. They helped to bring a war to its conclusion. I don't think it's a issue of what's right or wrong. There was the real possibility that more japanese lives could've been lost in a ground campaign than were lost due to the bombs. War is not about trying not to hurt peoples feeling. It's about doing what needs to be done to assure victory. Was it a good thing that they may have saved more lives than a ground war? No, of course not. I'm not looking to put this back on the japanese, but didn't they start it in the first place? I know that sounds sorta mean and narrow minded, but it is what it is. Politics aside these weapons suck as did their usage. I'm not trying to excuse its use, just trying to explain it. After all, Is there really any good excuse for war?
    thank you thats what I was traying to say....
    lets put it this way:
    u r the leader of a nation and u r at war with another nation, many lifes had already been lost, and it seems that the war is going to cointiniou for a long time, but ur ar given a new option to end the war right now, assuring ur virctory, the atomic bomb.... will u use it, win the war and know u saved the lifes of thousands of ur soldiers? or will u keep fighting a long term war consuming ur resourses and watch thousands of coffins covered with ur flag returning home?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHobbit13
    Yes, it's true that more lives might have been lost in a ground war, but the a-bomb turned it from a might to a definately.

Besides, in a ground war, lives lost would have been more solider than civilian. I think one of the major sub-sections of the "should we have dropped it" issue is the concern over all the loss of innocent civilian lives.

And the Japanese didn't start the war, they just joined it, like we did, but on the other side.
    nothing against Japan... but their attack on pearl harbor was the one that drove the US into the war...
    and dont take this the wrong way but u sound like civilian lifes r more important than soldiers lifes...
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast