View Poll Results: Was using the atomic bomb the right thing to do?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 37.21%
  • No

27 62.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Atomic Bomb: Good or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai
    I say:
    ..... also, don't forget that the ones who dropped the bomb committed suicide... the pilots had no idea they were holding that thing... just to say.

Actually that isn't true, they (Charles Sweeney who lead the dropping of the A-Bomb on Nagasaki, and Paul Tibbets, who lead the dropping of the A-Bomb on Hiroshima) both knew what they were doing and what they were carrying before the mission began. As well they had several training missions before dropping the bombs. Also neither died as a result of the dropping of the bombs. Charles Sweeney went on to become a general in 1956 dying in 2004. Paul Tibbets also went on to become a general (1959) after the war was over as well and is still alive.

Newbie NerveGas may be famous one day NerveGas may be famous one day NerveGas's Avatar
    I live in the weird weather state of Maine
    Thanks

We never should have dropped those bombs. But what's done is done, and lucky for the world we realized what happened and thus far have refrained from that kind of action again. So heres to never seeing another atomic explosion on this planet again. *Clinks Glass*

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i guess it is a great tool to scare the enemy, but at the same time it si a weapon that is very powerfull wich can kill many people in one blast.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Little known fact: The US actually fired the first shot against Japan in the war, sinking one of Japan's submarines well before the attack of Pearl Harbour...this has only come to light recently though, within the last few years......no one likes talking about it though, because it changes the accepted perspective of the war. I'll find the info to post in a bit.

Anyhoo....on to the atomic bomb....

There was a military base on the outskirts of Hiroshima, which was used as part of the justification of dropping the bomb. As said earlier in the posts, there were huge estimates of the amount of casualties that the US would have recieved which was also used to justify the bomb. America had been island hopping, losing huge amounts of men each time they tried to take an island (big casualties at Iwo Jima) and had they continued island hopping, the list would have gotten larger, as there were numerous fortified island around Japan.

Elsewhere, the war in Europe was drawing to a close, and everyone knew that Russia was becoming a super power also trying to get an atomic bomb. Relations between Russia and the US were beginning to get tense, and the US wanted a way to show its power....i.e, the atomic bomb.

The bomb was dropped to try and bring the war to japan to a much quicker finale, but it was also meant to show Russia what power the US had. It was also a test to see the damage that could be done by the explosion (if you live in Oregon, you guys might want to do a little background search to check out other government testing........back in the 40's and 50's, the government knowingly subjected one of the towns in Oregon to a radiation cloud to see what would happen).

As someone said earlier in the posts, more lives were killed in fire bombings in one night, than in both nuclear blasts. While nuclear radiation is certainly a horrible way to die, so is napalm, which burns you alive, and you cannot put out. Jump into water, and napalm will still burn. There's footage taken of a young girl in Japan completely covered in napalm gel, franticly running around while on fire, who, needlessly to say, eventually dies.

There is no way we can say that dropping the bomb was justified or not. Horrible? Yes...that certainly is pretty crappy. But the entirety of World War II was a complete gong-show, with all sides commiting what would be considered war crimes. (Japan invaded China during the 1930's, and completely massacred towns and civilians. Read up on Nanking. The Japanese government refutes claims about this though, and Japan likes playing the victim of WWII).

Unfortunately, everything is relative. We don't know what would have happened if the bomb wasn't dropped, we only know what did happen. I certainly hope the atomic bomb is never used again in warfare, as it is a horrible weapon, but unfortunately it was used during WWII, which is all I can say. There was way more at work at the time than the bomb simply being "right" or "wrong" so there is no way to easily say one or the other.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

You should add a poll option that says 'I Don't Care'. I really don't. What's done is done, and most likely nothing could have changed what happened.

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer
    Actually that isn't true, they (Charles Sweeney who lead the dropping of the A-Bomb on Nagasaki, and Paul Tibbets, who lead the dropping of the A-Bomb on Hiroshima) both knew what they were doing and what they were carrying before the mission began. As well they had several training missions before dropping the bombs. Also neither died as a result of the dropping of the bombs. Charles Sweeney went on to become a general in 1956 dying in 2004. Paul Tibbets also went on to become a general (1959) after the war was over as well and is still alive.

That was strange, there was a team that committed suicide for knowing that they dropped the A-bomb... a fleet of bombers and only a single one carried the A-bomb. Hmmm... how strange... where did that strange information get mixed in?

I'm confused now. *confused* @_@

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe that dropping the bomb was the only way to truly stop the war, the japanese soldier was trained to sacrifice their lives no matter the cost, it is better to die and take an enemy with you, than to be taken capture. Also, think about the scientific impact that occured during the bombs development, this was the start of the U.S. scientific innovation movement, many advances in nuclear power research and radiation research came out of the development, also it put alot of the scientists and engineers who were fleeing from Hitler over in Europe a job and that helped spur the U.S.'s lead in the science and engineering race.

A sad but true fact, the war machine brings out scientific innovation and extensive new research.

In terms of war as a whole, think about it this, some of the drugs used in chemotherapy are derviatives of the mustard gas that was created during WWII and used by Hitler, some of the most death inventions have spurred research into life-saving fields
    Last edited by KnightofNi; Apr 12, 2006 at 10:20 PM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

@_@ ACK! This confusing bust of information has definitely confused my lil' mind!

...... oh well, I'll just say how I saw the A-bombs...

Face it people, we had horrible things during wars... nerve gases, flamethrowers (not exactly the fastest way to kill, but definitely effective), tanks, mortars, etc etc. Biological, bullet, bomb, whatever. War is war. And war is hell.

The thought of using a bomb on innocent civilians?
    ... I'm sure "been there, done that" is a horrible way of saying it, but it's true.

How many crossfires have killed people?
    I'm sure selecting battlefields lessens innocents amazingly, but it sure doesn't make it COMPLETELY impossible to kill innocents.

America wanted to prove a point. And that's what America's always done. Trying to prove something.

Except, back then, we were seen as more heroic. *shrugs* The ones who despised us never got their word completely through.

The A-bomb... even Einstein regreted that creation.

I'm sure we all do... all these nuclear bombs everywhere... we're all aiming it at each other...

... but the fear of it definitely did allow several things to come to a halt, didn't it?

Sure, gun wars were still going on, but because of the threat of nuclear war, many had standstills.

People die no matter what. But I'm sure one wouldn't want an A-bomb to be their cause of death.

It sucked. Yeah, it did. Many didn't want to die. And many would have gladly died.
    Same thing in a normal war... just not as quick.

*sigh* ... *rubs head* ... The atomic bomb sucked. I'll full-heartedly admit that...
    ... the A-bomb still sucks! ... hydrogen bombs suck! War sucks!

>_< ... *sigh* Coming from a person who LOVED war... the chaos, the destruction, and everything from it... it's really sad for me to say it.

... many people always think they want to kill someone, until someone dies. They find pain and trauma from it... but that's only because they haven't lived just yet... they haven't truly woken up and seen the world for what it truly was and what they're doing there... in the end most people think "What am I doing here?" in the middle of a war... that type of thinking has created so much anger in me! Why are people so stupid that they enter a war and not see it for what it truly is until it's too late?! Why are they all just so stubborn and idiotic?! War means killing, not protecting! War means death, not life! That was the whole point of war! To get rid of those who oppose you!!! What kind of world is this, in which the very definitions we've created we question because of our lack of knowledge?! The A-bomb is horrifying, then why did we create it?! The gun is more destruction than safety, why did we make it?! The sword can kill! The knife can kill! The fists can kill! Lightning, animals, nature, people, disease, everything kills everything!
    Death is death! When will people realize that?!!!!!!!!

For those who thrive off of destruction, it's only when you truly know what death is, to know how you truly feel about destruction and chaos.

The A-bomb is just one product of it all... if you're complaining, then don't blame humanity, blame your ancestors for not successfully stopping it, and blame yourself for not stopping it now. Then, once you're done blaming that, realize that it's everyone's fault. Realize you're included in humanity as well.
    The A-bomb is your product just as it is mine. So shut up.

......... sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast