+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Baby Talk - Helping Or Hindering?

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Baby Talk - Helping Or Hindering?

Quote Originally Posted by Raimann View Post
    taken from Psychology Today: Baby Talk Hinders Learning

You all know that when you were young (most of you), your mother and father degraded their speaking ability to that of a retarded mexican immigrant to 'help you' but as this article shows, it might be doing worse. discuss, do u think talking like 'sweetly and simply' helps the baby, or hinders his or her learning.
    I didn't know my father at that point in my life. (Not that I've ever been told anyways.) So I know he didn't have a chance to. I know my grandmother probably did, because she's funny like that because she tells other people it's not a good idea. And I know my mother didn't really do it. She read to us a lot and did her best not to use baby talk. When we started using our own words for things it was a little harder I imagine. Especially cus it's so darned cute.
    I beleive that it hinders the baby's learning. when i was young, my parents talked to me in polish, and when i was 3, i was fluent in polish (well, as fluent as a baby of 3 that has just learned a language....) i talked to them about this and they believed that yes, 'baby talk' comforts the kid because of the high pitched sounds and the funny words (wa-wa, ba-ba) but in the long run it is doint more damage.
    I agree whole heartedly. It's a proven fact that teaching an infant from the start is the best way for them to learn multiple languages it's harder the older you get. And that includes sign language. It's SO cute too, my best friend does the ABC's in sign language for her almost 1 year old who is starting to verbalize sylables and he watches really intent for a while and will open and close his hand trying to do it too. I think that using baby talk damages a childs way of speach. It would explain why children who aren't really taught to speak right, for an example, my adopted siblings, they were raised sitting infront of the tv with no one practically litterally no one talking to them in person. Not their siblings, they'd been removed from the home, and their parents were addicts and they were HIGHLY neglected. They virtually taught themselves to talk. When they were five and three and came to live with us, the five year old talked like a two year old practically, and the three year old was bairly verbal. So the two make each other make even more sence in my mind, despite them being totally seperate (Before now) conclusions/thoughts.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think that baby talk is necessarily a bad thing for young children up to a certain age, they may not understand what they are hearing for awhile but just the tone of the voice introduces them to affection at an early age.

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

I think baby talk is not only pointless but just plan wrong.
    When the kid gets older there all like "Why is he retarted." and your response is, "I taught him that!" Yeah fell pround that another poorly taught child has entered in to the world as a spectial need kid when he dosen't drull on the dime. NO BABY TALKING PEOPLE!!! ITS REDUNDENT AND RETARTED!!!
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

You all know that when you were young (most of you), your mother and father degraded their speaking ability to that of a retarded mexican immigrant to 'help you' but as this article shows, it might be doing worse. discuss, do u think talking like 'sweetly and simply' helps the baby, or hinders his or her learning.

I beleive that it hinders the baby's learning. when i was young, my parents talked to me in polish, and when i was 3, i was fluent in polish (well, as fluent as a baby of 3 that has just learned a language....) i talked to them about this and they believed that yes, 'baby talk' comforts the kid because of the high pitched sounds and the funny words (wa-wa, ba-ba) but in the long run it is doint more damage.

So... on to discussion.

my parent's were both mexican immigrants and i do find your sentece quite insulting. i was taught spanish when i was a baby quiet fluently and i learned english quite welll without any help from my parents. i know many people who learned english without thier parents help. i believe that perhaps talking to a baby in complete senteces can help but what is most important is the baby or persons desire to comunicate. if a baby or a person desires to comunicate it will find a way no matter what situation the mother and father put them in. after all the parents aren't the only source of learning for young children.
    every rose has a thorn

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Sangogirl I wish I was taught another language when I was younger but with both of my parents being British, there wasn't any need to. But when I am around a baby, I am sure solking will agree, its natural for me to talk in a sooth calming voice and act younger than I am because it makes the baby laugh. And to some it may not seem like its helping but I feel that talking in baby talk shouldn't be stop because its natural for a mother to alter how they talk so that its easier for them to understand. I mean there is no point saying a list of long words that will simply brush over the babies head.

In learn I think its always easier to start with basics and not skip a few chapters or that will slow down their learning. We have to crawl before we can walk.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Otaku Tom2Ace is off to a good start Tom2Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

is does both i think its helps because they dont have to say the big word straight away but it also hinders because some babys dont learn to speak untill they are about 6 because there mum or dad have said slang words or baby words to them

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

well the fact here is that babies learn very quickly, and if they are spoken gibberish, if you will, it will hinder their capability. yes its very cute and might help the baby understand complex ideas such as potty training, but i believe that you should start switching your vocabulary around the age of 1. more and more you should encorperate more normal words and take out the sweet la-la words. Also, this baby talk is worse if the child is in preschool. ya i know, HOW, you ask. well if the teacher and the kids around speak normally, yet your used to the gibberish, wont you find it difficult to speak and understand to a degree. but in the end it all depends on how your family is structured

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Newbie blakjapaneseangl is off to a good start blakjapaneseangl's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    But Its interesting to see that the people who think its hindering at mostly males. Makes me wonder if secretly men do speak baby talk without knowing when they do it. As a female, its kind of natural to do baby talk because its a mother instinct to try and bond with a child.

to me males do it because it makes the baby laugh. i believe females do it for the same reason but the females i know only did baby talk until the baby was 3 months old and they told everyone else to stop it to. because they wanted the baby to understand in better terms.
    i In the words of larry boy. "with great chocolate comes great responsibility."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast