+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Better use of our inmates.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Better use of our inmates.

I have nothing against criminals/convicts who served their sentences to try to resume their lives as normal people. But I think that just serving a sentence is not enough in terms of paying their debt to society. A lot of our jails are overcrowded just like our schools, and I've seen news reports of the poor conditions in those places.

With the exception of certain inmates that are beyond "repair". There are so many things we can do with them in order for them to truly pay back their debt to society. Of course, the criminals would be given a choice of either doing these tasks or not and it would nice to give them certain incentives if they do them. Also the type of crime they commit will also determine their eligibility, and the type of tasks they will be allowed to do.

Question to you members is:

1) What do you think about this?

2) Things they can do with the inmates?

Examples:] Sending them to fight for the country? Medical testing? etc...

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Legend For This Useful Post:

starfire1036 (Jan 26, 2008)

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Better use of our inmates.

I so agree that inmates have to do more that just being in jail and serving their sentence.....
    I have seen some jails....and i am telling you that some people do not even live so lavish as them........
    Of course....I also think that some of the convicts don't even belong in jail and should have been given the death sentence.....
    In Russia......(I am not sure if they do it anymore)....but they would take the worst convicts into Siberia and make them do some harsh manual labor....like building railroads and stuff like that and that is what I am proposing....something that makes them sweat and struggle and suffer for what they have done........
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Most prison systems already have programs to accomplish this goal... ironically, they're often criticised as making their sentences lighter or rewarding the criminals for their crimes.

Currently many prison systems offer higher education sponsorship (via distance learning or in-house), anger-management/domestic violence/psychological therapy, drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs, in-prison work detail (telemarketting, manufacturing, chain gangs), work-release programs, vocational training, etc...

Generally the only news coverage these programs get is when someone decides to complain about them and how they're draining our hard-earned money to entertain or reward prisoners who deserve to be punished, not trained.

Personally, I think an ex-con with employable skills is better than an ex-con without any, but I'm not sure I'm happy that armed robbery can get you a free law degree in some states.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

A free law degree is nice, but in most states, if you have been convicted of a criminal offense, you can't pass the Bar exam (or even take it).

As for forcing them to do manual labour? They have a word for that: Slavery, The states fought a Civil War over that issue, so i don't think its going to happen in the states.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    A free law degree is nice, but in most states, if you have been convicted of a criminal offense, you can't pass the Bar exam (or even take it).

As for forcing them to do manual labour? They have a word for that: Slavery, The states fought a Civil War over that issue, so i don't think its going to happen in the states.
    No I'm totally against giving them any more of a chance than someone who is in society and under the poverty line. That would be totally unfair. Comparing it to slavery is not right either, considering they "damaged" the society by committing a crime. So to be fair they should at least serve their time and do something to make it break even.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

This could work, I think. But how can one person repay back to the community if this person took one's person life?
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, according to the Georgia Supreme Court it's called Indentured Servitude. Georgia passed a law (both in the senate and by referendum by the people) that low risk inmates had to work for their keep. The law passed overwhelmingly 80% + but the state supreme court shot it down. They felt it was wrong to force someone to work in such a condition and did compare it to slavery. The law was sent back to be "reconsidered" but it never made it back out of committee as far as I know.

Personally, I have no problem with inmates working for their keep. For the most part some actually do. They are allowed to have jobs that teach skills and earn a small wage that they receive when they are released so they can have some stake money to start over again.

I have no problem with rehabilitating criminals who can be. By all means, teach them skills and educate them. Jail isn't a wonderful place to be by any standard. Especially the federal prisons where serious crimes are served. If they can be rehabilitated and returned to society as a productive member then by all means lets do it. But let them work their debt as well. Once your out though, you should be out and free...your crime erased (in most cases).

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's a great idea to have our inmates do something to give back to society! I mean if you're gonna "break" something, then you should be the one responsible for "fixing" it.

The more serious crimes should not be treated this way though. Murder, rape (and other various sexual offenses), and manslaughter should all be treated as serious and unforgivable offenses. Keep the major criminals right where they belong. But anything below that, just lock them up for a bit--within that time frame, they can learn a trade or something--and give them some counseling/guidance. Put them in the right direction and give them some motivation while you're at it. But be sure to warn them. Because, in my opinion, if you're gonna put that kind of system in to place; you should only get one shot like that. Afterward, if you continue to slip up, that's a more serious sentence.

I think that it would be pretty effective. Don't you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast