Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Black is Black not african american

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Black is Black not african american

If you wanted to be angry at people, you should be angry at the black community itself. Mainly because, the term African-American gained wide popularity and acceptance due to the communities own leaders, such as Malcom X who prefered the term to be used during the 60's, also you should be blaming Jesse Jackson in the 1980's who also wanted this term to gain popularity, the reason why its so frequently today anyway, is because the true African-Americans who fought for Equal Rights used the term frequently and preferred it in order to rally all those who are black. So you can be mad at people for not making the distinction but you are have only the black community itself to truly blame for this as the black communities leaders during the civil rights movement wished for the term to be used for all blacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie dreamzz may be famous one day dreamzz may be famous one day
    Thanks

most people use the term african american simply because it is more socially acceptable and considered more politically correct. i think whatever term people choose to use is okay as long as it is not meant to be racist or derogatory. as Priestess Angel said, if we see someone one in America, we automatically call them American and it's a socially acceptable assumption. i don't think it's possible to go through life without making any kind of assumptions about people. in this case, i think it's understandable as long as it is not used to discriminate.

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nympho
    What else are you going to say in a sea of ppl of different origins?

"I think its that person over there in the white shirt?"
    "what everyone is wearing a white shirt"
    "no the person with dark hair"

Come on people. Soon your going to say. "You can call her a woman! That's sexist!" What the hell. We were made different to be different.
    Not to be nitpicky, but you'd have to use other methods than skin color if you're trying to point out a rather light person in a group of white people ^.^; But I understand you wholeheartedly - we're finding fault in nearly everything these days =.-

I feel bad for mixed people though. Society is always making them choose which side they're on, or just group them to the side they most look like. u-u
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Stray Sheep Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

warning: do not call a black--"charcoal face" ^_^"
    [CENTER]+ Sheep Blogs at PaperDiaries +

Newbie dreamzz may be famous one day dreamzz may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aya-kun
    warning: do not call a black--"charcoal face" ^_^"
    HAHAHA... that cracked me up. i can't imagine what would happen if someone did that... not seriously, of course.

Otaku mixed fighter girl may be famous one day mixed fighter girl may be famous one day mixed fighter girl's Avatar
    Thanks

*sighs* this is not a good topic....but here it goes....not everone who is black gets offened by someone calling them African American. i think it a better term than black in most cases.but if they do get offened just say i'm sorry. they world is so diverse u can't always tell what people are. including my self. i look black but if u look at me u see my hair straight n my eyes are very small.u can never known i was mixed unless u looked close.so all that matters is that u try not to offend others.
    I will fight until i find what i'm looking for...you can not judge me on my apperence I am a Warrior. If you have a problem with me..... then my blades will meet your neck.

Newbie kantichaoslord may be famous one day kantichaoslord may be famous one day kantichaoslord's Avatar
    Thanks

I already did my friend is burnt so I call him charcole or when its night and im looking for him I say shadow return

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

What Priestess Angel? I think black is a fine word to use! As is white, hispanic, asian, indian....etc. What else are you going to say in a sea of ppl of different origins?
    I didn't say that I thought the term black people was offensive. I said that some people find the term offensive. Sorry for the confusion.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast