Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Black is Black not african american

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Black is Black not african american

being offened for being called african american? wow. thats silly!

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I had an english teacher in univ that went nuts at the term "black" or "dark." Her argument was, the term 'black' or 'dark' has always been associated with bad things...like the 'dark ages' and 'black cats' and stuff like that. Pretty much since 'black' is usually used in the context of something evil, then it means that we're causing people to subliminally think that 'black people' are bad.

Anyhoo......as for me, I don't see the point in really calling someone a 'black' person. It would mean that #1: You obviously don't know who the person is, or you would be calling them by their name, and #2: How important could what you're talking about be if you called someone a black person? It's obviously not very indepth. You're definately not going to introduce yourself to them like that. "Hello there black person, my name is so-and-so"....

I guess in terms of calling them a 'group' the phrase "black community" comes up frequently. However, it seems to be used by both sides....both white and black.

The only problem is that by using the term 'black' you're differentiating someone by their color, and not ethnicity. But then the issue of simply differentiating comes up, because someone will argue: differentiating by color leads to racism, and differentiating by ethnicity leads to ethnic cleansing....

And just incase I didn't use the term 'differentiating' enough in that paragraph....I shall say it one more time: differentiating.

Honestly, I really don't care....i'm neither racist, nor do I have anything against people of other ethnicites. Everyone is different, we're not the same. Trying to teach people that everyone somehow are the same in every exact way is stupid and futile....

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

A lot of ppl still don't like the white man, though........We're the devil's race.
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

Stray Sheep Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

this is funny... why do people tend to classify a hate list judging by the color of their skins or religion?
    (do not answer me. i do not care)
    if people really wanna hate, hate humans. They all are the same and is capable of doing what the next person can do.

warning: Never call a black or an indian 'Charcoal face' unless you want an early grave.
    [CENTER]+ Sheep Blogs at PaperDiaries +

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Heh Heh......still funny....race jokes are funny....we cannot really ignore race.....I don't think it was designed that way.......Hate is still hate though.....not cool.
    Move Along.

Otaku TalentedDavid may be famous one day TalentedDavid may be famous one day TalentedDavid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_G135
    This is a good subject to debate on... it's just hard to jump into it... perhaps if people had questions to go by we could expand the discussion.

I.e. Do you use the term 'African American'? Why or Why Not?

What term do you usually use when referring to black people?

What do you call black people from other countries from America?

Or something. I myself don't use 'African American', but I don't get angry when someone does..I mean, although it's not as politically correct as maybe 'Asian American' or 'Hispanic American', it's understood as a politer way of saying simply 'black people (from the US)' - especially by the older crowd. My last year English teacher who was in her 60s, was astounded when she asked the class about this and most people said they use 'black'. She was also amazed that people take offence to 'African American'.

What I don't like is the term "blacks". Like "whites", "asians", "hispanics", etc, it sounds like you're grouping people together like you would books or socks or something.. I dunno ^^;
    I dont see why people make a deal out of this political correctness garbage (See im not political correct! ) But to deal with the thread topic, i myself is black and i dont care, but dont call me American dammit! Im a Canadian and proud to be a Canadian,eh! XD

...Impulsive...

Thanks

Ok Canadian......How's the beer up there? Colder than usual,eh?
    Move Along.

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

this is funny... why do people tend to classify a hate list judging by the color of their skins or religion?
    (do not answer me. i do not care)
    if people really wanna hate, hate humans. They all are the same and is capable of doing what the next person can do.

warning: Never call a black or an indian 'Charcoal face' unless you want an early grave.
    Yes, it's true!
    That is an extremely stupid idea, my friend.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast