+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black History Month

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Black History Month

I hate Black History Month!! Hate it with a passion!

Here's why:

Black people have gone through 300+ years of oppresion, discrimination, violence, hatred and injustice. We've (well, they... mixed kids don't count in my book.) gone through major improvements as far as civil rights and fair job placement, have taken part in key events that have shaped our country; such as designing the country's capital, inventing the traffic light (though most people claim a white guy did it), running for political office... You get my point.

Over three and a half centuries and yet, Black people only get ONE SINGLE MONTH to celebrate and educate others on Black History. Isn't Black History a part of American History?? Why aren't we learning this in American history classes??? Why do we have to take a separate history course just to learn Black History?? If you're gonna teach history like that, then you may as well segregate schools and put all us colored folk in the back of the buses again!!

One month... Out of a whole year?? That's ludicrous! Ridiculous! That's racism in a cup! That's what it is, in my opinion anyway.

What's your opinion on Black History Month? Do you think that it should be taught in American History classes or do you think it deserves it's own class? Don't you think that Black History is just as important as anyone elses? I do!!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Black History Month

I agree, i don't like it either. All it does is separates blacks from the other races, like MS Black America, Naacp, and so on. Black history should be taught with the rest of American history in American history classes. All they have to do is devote a whole section on it in class, as they could do for other minority's. Black history is part of American history, and should be taught with the other American history. Reminds me of segregation.

If they want to keep it as it is, at least have other history months for other minority's. What about a minority history month, and each month feature a different minority?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I agree, i don't like it either. All it does is separates blacks from the other races, like MS Black America, Naacp, and so on. Black history should be taught with the rest of American history in American history classes. All they have to do is devote a whole section on it in class, as they could do for other minority's. Black history is part of American history, and should be taught with the other American history. Reminds me of segregation.

If they want to keep it as it is, at least have other history months for other minority's. What about a minority history month, and each month feature a different minority?
    I don't know about where you're from, but in our school district, we've even got Asian American History Month, but it is usually just overlooked. I don't like that concept much either. If it's American history, it's American history regardless of ethnic origin. Our history classes should be just as diverse as our classrooms and places of employment.

And another thing... Am I the only one who's getting sick and tired of all these Black History commercials. They're like these two minute snippets of Black History education or Black History awareness that encourage people to take an active part in Black History month. Here's my idea of taking an active part: Protest against Black History Month and demand that it becomes incoorporated with ALL US history courses! That's participation, dammit!

Ooh! Another thing! The last couple years or so, Comedy Central (whom I have no problems with, per se) has done these little marathons of what they call "Black Hysteria" during the month of February. We can watch Carlos Mencina and John Stewart every friggin' day, but we only get one month of Black stand-up comedians?! GTH outta here! I'm sick and tired of how everything is becoming more and more segregated and how people just accept it! That's bullsh*t in a can! Even BET only uses February to promote TV shows and music videos. They don't cover Black history during any other month, but when Feb. rolls around BET's all on it... BS in a can...

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree that black history month should b assimilated inta regular history, I c no reason why it can' b apart of it. It's history, we should read 'bout it and learn from it jus' like any other history. The fact that they set aside a month for black history isn' only discriminatory, but also demeanin'. I don' understand why there isn' more ppl upset over this, I know I am and I'm not african-american. Anythin' that is apart of our nation's history should b taught at any given point necessary, regardless of whether or not it's black history, white history, asian, etc.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    I agree that black history month should b assimilated inta regular history, I c no reason why it can' b apart of it. It's history, we should read 'bout it and learn from it jus' like any other history. The fact that they set aside a month for black history isn' only discriminatory, but also demeanin'. I don' understand why there isn' more ppl upset over this, I know I am and I'm not african-american. Anythin' that is apart of our nation's history should b taught at any given point necessary, regardless of whether or not it's black history, white history, asian, etc.

You're absolutely correct, my friend!

It's just mind numbing how people can sit back and take this kind of subliminal segregation. It's denying people the truth of our country's history and keeping Black people unaware of their own cultural history. Nobody cares if there's no grade involved these days. To make matters worse, there are younger Black teens that claim, "I make EVERY month Black history month," but if I asked who designed and ensured the construction of Washington DC, they'd be stuck!! (The answer is Benjamin Banneker, just so ya know)
    Last edited by atomik_sprout; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know about where you're from, but in our school district, we've even got Asian American History Month, but it is usually just overlooked. I don't like that concept much either. If it's American history, it's American history regardless of ethnic origin. Our history classes should be just as diverse as our classrooms and places of employment.
    I was talking more of a national thing, not in schools. Like every month we celebrate a minority group and get a day off work.

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

In truth, I find the whole month pointless, if you're going to teach it, like you've ssaid, put it in with regular history, not just some month, plus like on the Martin Luther King day, some people will take it as a bad way such as "Pay Back Month". It's stupid and inspires more idiocy. Aloong with any other types of cultrual pasts that add to America, just throw it in with regular history, don't put it in some seperate month.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    You're absolutely correct, my friend!

It's just mind numbing how people can sit back and take this kind of subliminal segregation. It's denying people the truth of our country's history and keeping Black people unaware of their own cultural history. Nobody cares if there's no grade involved these days. To make matters worse, there are younger Black teens that claim, "I make EVERY month Black history month," but if I asked who designed and ensured the construction of Washington DC, they'd be stuck!! (The answer
    is Benjamin Banneker, just so ya know)
    I know what u mean, when we were told that we that we had ta do a report for black history month back when I was in high school, I asked my teacher if I could do a report on Peter Salem... And no one, black and white, in my classroom, save the teacher, even knew who he was. I even had a black student ask the teacher if he, meanin' Peter Salem, was even black. It's a real shame that there r so many gaps in our education in regards ta our history 'cause of the discrimination within our educational system.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast